Battle Master/Abjurer: Build Comparison (Please Help)

kalani

First Post
Hi all, I need some help from the math-geeks among us in order to determine which of the following choices is the most optimal path for my upcoming D&D Adventurers League character. At its core, the character will fight with a greatsword + haste, and so in many respects will be similar to the various Eldritch Knight builds; the main difference however being that this character will have at least 7th level spellcasting (compared with an EKs 4th level), and will come online that much sooner.

This character will fill the same party role as an Eldritch Knight
(self-buffs; secondary caster; primary attacker).
Unlike a true EK however, this character can easily step into the role of primary spellcaster if required by the party; this also grants me the versatility of playing a switch-hitter and dropping to the back row if I take too much of a beating, or the encounter is not optimal for a frontal assault (unlike an EK who doesn't have as much built-in versatility).

Level 1-6:
1 - V. Human Fighter. Great Weapon Fighting, Great Weapon Mastery (feat). Greatsword
2 - Fighter 1/Wizard 1
3 - Fighter 1/Abjurer 2; Arcane Ward: Upon gaining this ability, every wizard level grants effective HP (4+CON +2/Level Ward) equal to that of a fighter level (6HP+CON)
4 - Fighter 1/Abjurer 3; Will use blur at this level to help boost survival.
5 - Fighter 1/Abjurer 4; Warcaster: This will let me use BB in place of an opportunity attack, while also allowing me to cast shield without removing grip on my greatsword.
6 - Fighter 1/Abjurer 5; Haste: At this point the build comes online granting me a GFB/BB + regular attack each round, and an AC of 20 (with plate).

I am uncertain, but the next 3 levels will most likely consist of:

7 - Fighter 1/Abjurer 6; This is optional, however choosing this route will let me cast Haste 4x/day (including Arcane Recovery).
8 - Fighter 2/Abjurer 6; Action Surge
9 - Battle Master 3/Abjurer 6; 2 manuevers + Precision Attack: This maneuver will offset the penalty from GWM power attack.

Build Options
This is the point where I am uncertain where to go next. I have five options:

Battle Master 11/Abjurer 9
This build will be the most similar to an EK; granting me extra attacks (3); 5th level spellcasting; and 5 Feats/ASIs (6 inc. human). The main difference between this build and a dedicated EK is that haste comes online much sooner in the build, and the character has more spell slots. In this build, the Abjurer is taken primarily to keep HP equivalent with a pure-class fighter compared with other wizard traditions.

Battle Master 12/Abjurer 8 (unlikely option)
This build is almost identical to the above, except that it trades off 5th level spellcasting in order to gain an additional ASI/Feat. It will otherwise play identically.

Battle Master 6 / Abjurer 14
This build will grant me extra attacks; 7th level spellcasting; 5 feats/ASIs (6 including human feat) and spell resistance as a capstone ability (alternately, it may be obtained earlier if I am willing to push back extra attacks). Simulacrum comes online at either 16th or 19th level allowing me to double my damage output as long as I bring a second greatsword & plate armor.

Battle Master 3 / Abjurer 17
This build will grant me 9th level spellcasting; 4 feats/ASIs (5 inc. human feat), spell resistance, and Wish + Shapechange as a capstone (allowing me to cast simulacrum for free). Simulacrum comes online at 16th level, and is upgraded to free casting at 20th level (assuming that I use wish to cast simulacrum).

Comparison Required (Please Help)
I need help to crunch the numbers as to which is my most optimal combat strategy of the following (as this will help determine whether I choose the first or second build). Assume 16 STR until such times as reaching either Fighter 4, or Wizard 8; after which STR will be maxed at next two bumps. If possible, can you please account for Precision Attack (4/rest) & GWF in all DPR calculations.

Option 1 (Cantrip + Haste)
If I choose the BM 3/Abjurer 17 build, this will be my only option. If I choose the BM 6/Abjurer 14 build, I will use this option if it provides higher DPR than Option 2 (below). The DPR output of both builds will help me decide which option I like best.

• DPR of 2 attacks: 2d6 (haste) & 2d6+1d8/2d8/3d8
  • DPR of 2 attacks (GWM): 2d6+10 & 2d6+1d8/2d8/3d8+10

Option 2 (Extra Attacks + Haste)
If I choose the BM 6/14 build, I will only use this option if it provides higher DPR than Option 1 above. As such, I need a comparison between these two options.

• DPR of 3 attacks: 2d6 ea.
  • DPR of 3 attacks (GWM): 2d6+10 ea.

Option 3 (Extra Attacks + Haste)
This option will only be available if I choose to pursue a more EK-style build (either the BM 11/Abjurer 9 or BM 12/Abjurer 8). If possible, I would like to see what expected DPR of this build would be so that I can compare it with the above two options.

• DPR of 4 attacks: 2d6 ea
  • DPR of 4 attacks (GWM): 2d6+10 ea.

Again, please remember that precision attack and great weapon fighting are online in this build which will skew the math accordingly. Any help you number-crunchers can give me in order to help me decide which options will result in higher DPR would be most appreciated.

Last edited:

RulesJD

First Post
Entirely depends on what style you want to play. Personally, I favor Wizards over Fighters because I find the versatility of Wizards more fun. As such, I stick at Fighter 2/Abjur+ as BM die aren't as useful as spell progression for me.

By the higher levels, it matters more. The right spell is worth 10x the use of a BM die, which is at most extra damage.

A better combo (enemies dependent) than just Attacks + Haste is, however, Booming Blade + Flaming Sphere. The enemy either takes the Flaming Sphere damage on their turn, or moves away and takes the Booming Blade damage.

I would personally drop the War Caster feat if you're going 2-H. The amount of times a monster will move away and provoke War Caster is extremely minimal. Use that as an ASI or a better feat boost.

Coyote81

First Post
I'm pretty sure casting spells while wielding a 2-handed weapon is not an issue, unless your DM makes it one. You can hold a 2-handed greatsword in one hand while casting spells, just takes 2 to swing it.

Last edited:

kalani

First Post
I chose warcaster for several reasons. Firstly, advantage on concentration + proficiency in constitution saves means that Haste will almost never drop (save being stunned, or incapacitated in some fashion). Second, shield requires VS meaning that I would need to hold my weapon in 1H if I want to use it without the feat. This means I could use shield no more than once every other round as you only get one "free" interaction with objects/turn. Finally, warcaster lets me cast a spell instead of an opportunity attack. This will usually be an opportunity to cast Booming Blade for 2d6+xd8+yd8 damage.

BB + Flaming Sphere is another option that will also be in the characters arsenal, however the damage from Flaming Sphere is only 2d6 (save for half) unless upcast, while the damage from a hasted attack is 2d6+xd8+STR (+10), which is significantly higher. With BB online, the enemy will most likely just stand there and take the FS damage if they have a modicum of intelligence (low INT beasts, hill giants, ogres, and the like might flee from the flaming sphere and take the BB damage however, but even then, a hill giant is smart enough to only make that mistake once).

I have played other builds which are more primary casters, including a Cleric 1/Transmuter X; and a paladin 3/Sorcerer X - this build is to play a more EK-style character without sacrificing as much spellcasting as what an EK does (I am still toying with my numbers; if precision attack isn't as mandatory a backup as I think it is, I might even swap BM levels to EK which then opens up EK 7/Abjurer 13 for 2 greatsword attacks + Cantrip/turn).

Coyote81

First Post
I think Precision attack is going to be mandatory for you. You didn't list your stats, but not putting max in Str is going to leave you struggling to hit with GWM, and not putting max in INT, is going to diminish your Abjuration Ward

kalani

First Post
I didn't list my stats because I am not 100% certain whether to prioritize STR or INT. I was waiting to see what the DPR comparison between the combat options would be before deciding (as the math of the DPR comparisons are unaffected by stats, as an increase in STR would affect each of the combat options identically).

Given the fact I will have 3-4 ASIs (after Warcaster/GWM); I was thinking of starting with 16 in both INT/STR; and bumping STR first, followed by Int. I am leaning towards 20 STR and 18-20 INT long-term, although INT can be sacrificed for another feat (eg. resilient dexterity, or maybe polearm mastery in the late game depending on what weapons drop, as this is an AL character).

As a spellcaster, this character will prioritize self-buffs over control effects as I see the build occupying the same role as an Eldritch Knight (aka: an off-caster). Given the fact that the build will still be wizard heavy though, the character can always step into the primary caster role as necessary (esp. if the party is lacking a dedicated spellcaster since party composition can vary in DDAL from week to week).

Regarding Arcane Ward:

In this build I only chose Abjurer so that I could maintain Fighter-equivalent HPs (6+CON/level). Since improved abjuration (13th-15th level) and spell resistance (17th-20th level) come online late in this build, I am not even factoring these abilities into my decision making, as the character fills the same role as an EK (although being a more powerful spellcaster despite this).

As such, the handful of bonus HPs that the ward grants (INT) are not factored into my build designs, nor is the additional HP generated by recharging the ward via shield/counterspell (in battle), or ritual-casting alarm (between encounters). I am satisfied that the arcane ward actually makes me more durable than a pure fighter (probably equivalent to a Barbarian), but I am considering anything more than the 6+CON as a freebie.

Last edited:

Coyote81

First Post
I'll give you, most of the HP from the ward come from wizard levels and you'll only be losing a few points each time if you have +2 from int vice +3. but, at level 6 abjurer, 14hps every time you cast shield is nothing to joke about. When I was playing a build similar to this, I was basically gaming the system, letting my ward hps run out then recasting shield on the next attack that would actually take real hps.

kalani

First Post
It isn't 14HPs every time you cast shield (if it was, I would take INT more seriously in the build).... Its 14HPs the first time you cast an abjuration spell each day, and a recharge of 2HP/spell level for each additional abjuration spell thereafter. It is for this reason that I am basically treating the ward as equivalent to Fighter HPs.

I am not counting the 2HP/spell level in my equations. Now admittedly, having 18 vs. 20 INT will mean a loss of 1HP/encounter, once recharging between battles is factored in; however given the fact that your average AL adventure typically has only 2-3 encounters/day, this loss is negligible - and the few adventures which pack 6+ encounters in a single day are far enough between that losing 6HP in those adventures will average out over the characters career.

Essentially, my character will have 64+20(CON)+INT HPs at level 20 (compared to a pure fighters 64+20(CON) HP). This will give my character between 3-5 extra HP over a pure fighter, plus a self-heal of up to 28+INT HPs between battles (assuming Wiz 14).

Last edited:

kalani

First Post
Are there any number-crunchers following this thread who could do the DPR calculations for me, or failing that - at least provide me the formula(s). I am more than willing to do the math myself, I just don't know how to calculate the formula and as such, would have to calculate things the hard way.

Coyote81

First Post
It isn't 14HPs every time you cast shield (if it was, I would take INT more seriously in the build).... Its 14HPs the first time you cast an abjuration spell each day, and a recharge of 2HP/spell level for each additional abjuration spell thereafter. It is for this reason that I am basically treating the ward as equivalent to Fighter HPs.

I am not counting the 2HP/spell level in my equations. Now admittedly, having 18 vs. 20 INT will mean a loss of 1HP/encounter, once recharging between battles is factored in; however given the fact that your average AL adventure typically has only 2-3 encounters/day, this loss is negligible - and the few adventures which pack 6+ encounters in a single day are far enough between that losing 6HP in those adventures will average out over the characters career.

Essentially, my character will have 64+20(CON)+INT HPs at level 20 (compared to a pure fighters 64+20(CON) HP). This will give my character between 3-5 extra HP over a pure fighter, plus a self-heal of up to 28+INT HPs between battles (assuming Wiz 14).

Thanks, it's been a while, forgot about the 2x spell level regeneration of abjuration ward.

Remove ads