• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Battle Master / Martial Adept Maneuvers

Korgul79

Explorer
I do think it would be interesting if the game provided a mechanism to use maneuvers when you have no dice left--for example by expending a HD to use the maneuver without a bonus, or through a feat cost, or in some cases just allowing it as a combat action that replaces the attack action. For example, if you know the disarm maneuver it makes sense for you to be able to try to disarm without also doing damage. But each maneuver would require a slightly different treatment to be balanced.

But I agree that the intention requires you to spend a die.
The main advantage of the manouvers, beside the bonus die, are that they allow to add an extra effect to your attack without expanding extra action. I think that everyone, by wasting an action and a skill or ability roll, can replicate the effeect of most of the manouvers (tripping and shoving are covered by the base rules, the dmg should have suggestion on disarming, other effect could be adjudicated on the fly, for instance by using an action to allow you using intimidate for results similar to the menacing attack special effect).

Bupp

Adventurer
I have my group roll initiative every round. Old habit that I used without reading the rules in depth. Personally, I don't think that it will break anything to have a battle master get a superiority die every round. At that high of level, why couldn't they always get to do a maneuver?

the Jester

Legend
I have my group roll initiative every round. Old habit that I used without reading the rules in depth. Personally, I don't think that it will break anything to have a battle master get a superiority die every round. At that high of level, why couldn't they always get to do a maneuver?

Well, it will significantly increase his damage output, possibly making the battlemaster a mechanically superior choice to the champion.

Personally, I'd run it as is for a while before switching things up, just to get a good feel for the way the math works out and whether or not it needs, would be served by, or would be broken by changing it up. But YMMV. :)

Remove ads