• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Battle Mats

John Crichton

First Post
Pbartender said:

Nope, but the Crystal Caste ones (if you can find them) are.

Two tips for battlemats...

1. Steadtler brand water soluble makers are the absolute best you can buy. They're made for use on overhead projectors.

2. Disposable diaper wipes are the absolute best things for cleaning a battlemat. They are easily transported in a zip-lock sandwich bag.
I have a CC double sided and it's worked fine for our group. I agree on the markers, too.

I will have to try the diaper-wipes! :)

scadgrad

First Post
highly recommended

I've a CC battlemat as well as several older mats that I don't use anymore. I'd be willing to part with an older battlemat if you're interested LMK. Funny how I've a decent collection of Dwarven Forge stuff, yet we use the battlemat in every game & break out the DF pieces for longer sessions since space is often a concern. I like using minis rather than counters and we use a combination of wet erase markers & dominos. Dominos are a perfect 10' wall section & are very handy. If you can get either of the Heroquest box sets you can get some great pieces to use in your game.

I do like the idea of the sketch pad & will have to give that a go, especially for outdoor encounters. Diaper wipes sounds like a good idea as well.

Pigeon

First Post
I use my attic for gaming, and so have been able to build a dedicated gaming table. Instead of a battlemap I have a 3 foot by 3foot peice of reinforced glass in the centre of the table - with a grid drawn out underneath it. You can draw on it with dry erase markers - even perminant markers will come off if you scub at them a little bit.

It's invaluable, I cant imagine how we used to play without it to be honest.

Guillaume

Julie and I miss her
Originally posted by Pbartender

Nope, but the Crystal Caste ones (if you can find them) are.

Actually, I just got myself a Chessex two sided one. It has 1 in. squares on one side and 1 in. hexes on the other. I ordered it from Cyberdungeon.

The stock number from Chessex is CHX 97246. I don't know if the one I got is from stock Cyberdungeon has kept or if Chessex still produces this mat.

Good luck,

Guillaume

Painfully

First Post
Chessex is finally catching on, and now DOES MAKE DOUBLE-SIDED MATS. I know because I left my CC mats at home one time and dropped into another gamestore to pick one up--they still call them megamats, so be careful if you're ordering online without a specific description.

I'm pretty sure they will phase out the single-sided mats once they run out of stock. It doesn't make sense to buy single-sided mats anymore.

Sanackranib

First Post
Olive said:
Do you use them? i'm in the process of bringing minis in to my game and i think a battle mat would be just right for using minis, and being able to draw in terrain quickly and easily...

and does anyone know where to get one in Australia?

Always and extensivly. they add a whole new element to the game and are the best way to figure out movement in combat and the area of effect for area spells and spell range.

John Crichton

First Post
Olive said:

ok, but which are they then? hexes or squares?
The CC one I have is double-sided with hexes on one side and squares on the other. I guess others here have seen Chessex's double-sided mats now. I'll have to get myself one because I need one a bigger size than the one I have now.... :)

I believe I bought the CC one through the rpgshop.com here actually....

Saint Brendan

First Post
A cheap mat I like is a Dry erase board. It has a wooden frame to bounce dice off of and a good sized one is only 7 to 8 dollars. If you need a grid, you can draw one on with permanent marker.

Remove ads