• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Battlemaster and Superiority Dice are causing martials to suffer.

Or ones that affect more adversaries or which heaven forbid ever actually scale like being able to knock down larger enemies or any of the other possibilities. Even the find familiar spell is probably better than a maneuver for a martial type. (yes the owl)
and trainging a pet seems quite martial non magical

ECMO3

Hero
The context was threat: they arent doing the equivalent of a pc making an attack that would mean they were doubling it (which advantage does not do) and since you originally said you were using the "biggest threat" as how the enemy was attacking well no they absolutely are the lowest threat(even if easiest to remove)

poppycock...

I never said I was using the "biggest threat" as how the enemy was attacking, as a matter of fact I said I specifically said I targeted the person with the "least hit points" and usually the PCs do as well.

While a lot of this discussion is subjective, Your assertion here that I stated I targeted the "biggest threat" is objectively untrue and that is what is verifyably "poppycokc"

3 round fights... your archer wasted one...
He used one attack (not one round) to essentially cause disadvantage two or three times assuming it is in fact a 3-round fight. If it is a 5-round fight then it is 4 or 5 times depending on the initiative order. If it is an epic 1-minute boss fight .... well you get the idea.

I love find familiar, but I never get an owl .... because that is boring. I get a bat or a Raven typically. A Bat for blindsight (which I as the caster can use) or a Raven for the mimicry ability which is very fun and can open a variety of doors if used creatively.

Is having an Owl with flyby to enable advantage on attacks more powerful? Sure it probably is, but it is not nearly as fun.
again, and the martial can't train a raven because???

ECMO3

Hero
The context was threat: they arent doing the equivalent of a pc making an attack that would mean they were doubling it (which advantage does not do) and since you originally said you were using the "biggest threat" as how the enemy was attacking well no they absolutely are the lowest threat(even if easiest to remove), In fact the advantage may never even be needed and in effect taking them out just wasted one of your strangely ubiquitous archers attacks... its pretty swingy in a sense.... only 1 in 3 rounds of a given combat even when you can do it every round is it actually likely to help in any way whatsoever. So with a three round fight the owl

They are causing advantage every round and that is something I can stop with one attack. If I can stop a PC with one attack then sure, but usually you can't do that.

I can attack and kill the owl and that is one less advantage the very next turn or I can attack the PC and that is no difference the next turn.

Finally "biggest threat" strategy is not usually a very good strategy, for either the PCs or the enemy, concentrating fire and starting with weaker enemies is generally a better strategy and you can find all kinds of videos and optmization discussions focused on that. Those discussions are targeted at the PCs but it is equally true for the bad guys.

poppycock... then healing spells have no effect and neither does any attack

No only attacks that can down an enemy might have an effect and attacks that kill an enemy (like the one that I just used on the familiar) have an affect.

Other stuff doesn't. Healing does not affect it either unless you bring up someone who is downed.

3 round fights... your archer wasted one... AND the advantage may have no impact for any of those three rounds its on average 2 our of 3 attacks it cannot even help because the attacker would have hit anyways.

Again either it is powerful or it is not. Advantage might have no impact or it might enable sneak attack or it might cause a crit. FWIW most combat-oriented battlemaster maneuvers always have an affect. Not all of them, but most of them.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
They are causing advantage every round and that is something I can stop with one attack. If I can stop a PC with one attack then sure, but usually you can't do that.

I can attack and kill the owl and that is one less advantage the very next turn or I can attack the PC and that is no difference the next turn.
and advantage has zero effect more than 2 out of 3 turns that is majority of the fight. And the PC being one closer chunk to defeated I repeat is not no effect
Finally "biggest threat" strategy is not usually a very good strategy, for either the PCs or the enemy, concentrating fire and starting with weaker enemies is generally a better I
I was disputing what you said

Last edited:

ECMO3

Hero
again, and the martial can't train a raven because???
I never said it couldn't, but it is not a familiar (without getting the spell) and will not have the same communication options as a familiar.

I think most DMs would not allow the kinds of things I do with a Raven because they usually require communication which is going to be difficult without telepathy.

ECMO3

Hero
if it hits

I said it "usually" takes one attack. An Owl has a 13 AC. An attack by just about any foe will "usually" will hit and when it hits it will always kill the familiar.

every fight you arrange to have one of those right?
NoI don't. But if you are using your familiar in melee, it will often be easy to get to in melee. It only has a 60 foot move, you can't always use it in melee every turn and simultaneously keep him out of harms way. Sometimes you can, but many times you can't.

No only attacks that can down an enemy might have an effect and attacks that kill an enemy (like the one that I just used on the familiar) have an affect.

Other stuff doesn't. Healing does not affect it either unless you bring up someone who is downed.
4 person party... bladesinger and hexblade/paliden as melee cleric/arcanetirck and feylock/bard in healing roles... the blade singer takes a crit and is brought to 11hp... if the cleric or bard drops a healing spell on the blade singer it will mean the next hit wont drop him and as such on there turn they will still be able to either attack 2 times or attack and spell... if they attack they deal less damage then the BS, and next hit has a good chance or taking out the BS next turn.

I will NEVER understand why people think the damage dealers loseing a turn is optimal over healing... GOD FORBID it is the hexblade/paliden loseing his 2 chances to crit and drop a crit/smite

Remove ads