• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Battlemats?

Are you going to use a battlemat in your 5e games?

Ragmon

Explorer
Maybe. For small battle I don't use one, I just use dice on the table to illustrate where everyone is.
I get out the battle-mat for large scale battle, but in the future I see myself using a whiteboard.

I need an "I got them seared into my mind/process during 3e and 4e, so I'm currently using them, but I'm desperately trying to remember how to run TotM" option. :eek:

Paraxis

Explorer
I voted yes, but not physical battlemats I use roll20 for all my gaming and on that I use maps with 5' grid sections just like I do for Pathfinder and 4e.

MarkB

Legend
I'm going to try going without, probably using an A4 drywipe board for general terrain illustration, but may revert to using them if it proves difficult.

Psikerlord#

Explorer
For me gridded maps detract from the experience more than they add to it, so I wont be using them if I can help it. TotM combat all the way!

wedgeski

Adventurer
As long as the more complex grid-based combat rules can live side-by-side in the same game as pure PHB TotM stuff, I'll be pulling out the battle-mat only for big set-piece encounters where terrain and positioning play an important part.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads