• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Battlerager Fighter Shenanigans

Sage20500

First Post
Ok, so I'm just curious if anyone has possibly thought of any stupid things they could end up doing with battleragers that are both fun and hilarious, mainly because I think I came up with a rather hilarious 1 turn combo that I could do at 30 with a potential new character. Ok, so the set up, I have a level 30 Dwarf Battlerager Fighter, with 28 Str and 28 Con. Pretty much every single power I have has the invigorating key word because the idea for the character was the generate thp out of my ass so that he can live through just about anything. Paragon Path is Dreadnought, epic destiny is Unyielding Sentinle. Now then I'm working this combo off of 3 feats unless I can find some more to make this more hilarious, and those are Dwarven Stoneblood, Dwarven Durability, and Gritty Determination. There is one utility power that is being used, and that is the level 22 fighter utility called Battle Furor. Lastly, we're using Hero's Gauntlets as our hands slot.

Now then, how the combo comes together. Normally when ever you use an invigorating power, you get your con mod as thp and thats it. Battlerager allows you to gain your con mod again on top of that, plus any thp that it would have gotten after the attack is resolved. So with our feats coming into play, if we use a daily invigorating power, we're getting 9x3+15+6 THP when ever we use a daily power. Now here comes the fun part.

Battle Furor is a stance that says that when ever you would regain hp, if your at full health, any extra becomes thp. Enter our level 19 daily, Relentless Assault. Its a pretty nice hitting invigorating power, but if you hit, not only do you deal damage, but now you spend a healing surge, as part of the power. If you use this when your at full health, then you now gain 66 + 9x3+15+6 THP once the attack is resolved. So now we're at 114 THP from a single attack.

But what if we action pointed before doing this, Hero's Gauntlets as a property say that when you spend an action point to make an attack and the attack deals damage, you gain THP equal to your healing surge value. Since this is still all part of a single attack, you now gain 114+66 THP for a grand total of 180 THP and resist 10 all until the end of your next turn from a single attack. Thats almost as much as our total health pool which is currently sitting at 227 HP.

Finally, I'm not sure if this would also come into play, but the capstone of unyielding sentinel, if this attack we just made reduces a non minion enemy to 0 hp, we may regain hp as if we spent a healing surge, which if it does stack with everything else, lets us end with a grand total of 246 THP, 227 HP, and Resist 10 all until the end of our next turn. All this from making a single attack. If this works out thing I think I've made a tank that is almost as amazing as the unkillable battlemind, though it won't be as possibly annoying since you can only pull this trick off once per day, (after that THP shield is gone, your only able to reliably get 42 THP per daily use, 18 THP for any other power).

So what do you guys think, would this work the way I think it works? And has anyone else ever done anything similar or have any ideas for how I could make this even more rediculous?

MwaO

Adventurer
THP don't stack unless they say they do. Tricks that work once a day usually aren't worth it. Level 30 tends to be broken anyway. Finally, and this is a big thing - if you're unkillable, it isn't a large leap for a DM to decide to simply ignore you and focus fire on your party.

And as that's usually a really good decision for a DM to do, that creates a lot of problems for such builds.

In any case, you likely want to be a Mul, because Muls get to not spend a surge when they second wind in Epic. Check out Hyperpoxia

Battlerager generally tends to be kind of bad, simply because the invigorating powers aren't that good compared to the non-invigorating ones and because you sacrifice a +1 to hit.

Zathris

First Post
Level 30 optimization always bothers me. Optimization wise, it's a level at which infinite actions, infinite attacks, infinite damage, impossible to hit defenses, and being outright unkillable is possible.

From a fluff standpoint, you're at the pinnacle of humanity, there is as much difference between you and a "just epic" level 21 character as between them and a level 1.
From an encounter design standpoint, it's a level at which facing any opponent that isn't a deity in their own right makes no sense.
So from a metagame standpoint, building a character *just* for level 30 basically becomes a question of your optimization level compared to the encounter challenge level with respect to what the entire group considers fun.

For what it's worth "Have the most THP possible" is well above 3000.

Remove ads