• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Battlerager Reckless Abandon

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
Temporary hp don't stack.

They don't stack, but as far as I can tell there's nothing saying the Battlerager can't get new Temp HP every round they Reckless Attack while Raging. So while they don't "stack" I could see the case where they "refresh" in a sense.

3 to 5 (potentially 7 at level 20) THP every round of the combat is pretty great.

To me it's the biggest draw of the Battlerager.

Last edited:

Herosmith14

First Post
Well, a fighter gets Second Wind to head for d10+Class level once per short rest, so let's say 3d10+3xclass level for a full day.

At 6th you have four rages, so if each of those is used in a four-round encounter with a Con of 18, that's up to 64 temp HP a day, though it will prevent up to 128 HPs of damage if the incoming damage is of a type you resist but realistically that will only be some of it. At 6th the Fighter would be getting 16.5+18=34.5, so it's roughly 2-3 times as good as Second Wind, more if combats last longer or if you get hit with P/B/S damage more than the average.

Second Wind continues to increase with Fighter level (so daily usage by ~3 HP per level). This will jump up 25% when Con gets to 20, and also jump up with every additional rage. A 17th level fighter would second wind three times for a total of 67.5, while a 17th level barb would be 6 rages times 4 rounds times 5 tHP for 120 tHP, which is again magnified by resistances.

This seems quite viable and much more than Second Wind, I think any attempt to increase it significantly would make the character completely out of line with what other melee characters can take.

Uh, second wind is just 1d10 plus level, the d10 doesn't add up.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Well, a fighter gets Second Wind to head for d10+Class level once per short rest, so let's say 3d10+3xclass level for a full day.
Uh, second wind is just 1d10 plus level, the d10 doesn't add up.

If you have have two short rest you can use Second Wind up to three times that day. At d10+level each time, that totals 3d10 + 3*level as your possible for an average day (assuming the DMG recommended two short rests).

I convert everything into daily so that I have an apples-to-apples way to compare a 1/short rest feature and a 4/long rest that lasts for an entire combat feature.

Make sense now? It's not saying the Second Wind gets more d10s for a single use, just a total of what happens with multiple uses over an adventuring day.

Herosmith14

First Post
If you have have two short rest you can use Second Wind up to three times that day. At d10+level each time, that totals 3d10 + 3*level as your possible for an average day (assuming the DMG recommended two short rests).

I convert everything into daily so that I have an apples-to-apples way to compare a 1/short rest feature and a 4/long rest that lasts for an entire combat feature.

Make sense now? It's not saying the Second Wind gets more d10s for a single use, just a total of what happens with multiple uses over an adventuring day.

Oh, okay. That makes sense.

I think the issue with battlerager are the abilities tied to a gear item which, as written, doesn't progress.

If you have a co-operative DM who puts magic spiked armour in the game, or allows spikes to be attached to half plate, it's rather more viable.

It's a subclass that perfectly illustrates why the rules should be "creatively interpreted" such that a barbarian currently wearing armor can use either the AC granted by the armor, or the AC his class feature gives him when unarmored, whichever is higher. He could then still benefit from non-AC features of armor.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads