• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

BattleStar Galactica #20:Daybreak (2) Season 4--2009/Finale

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
You've never lived through technology rising up and killing all but the remaining 50K people in the universe.
And they did try technological colonization once and that didn't work out so well (even before the Cylon's arrived). Though I am sympathetic to the "don't think all 40k would agree" argument.

It was an interesting way to end the series. I would have preferred the Daniel-Kara theory than the Angel-Kara theory, but hey, writers are weird that way. Time to break out the Angel-Daniel-Kara theories now....

Wycen

Explorer
Finding earth in this manner would seem to invalidate the difference between human and cylon, but more of a poke in the eyes would be that Hera was thus rendered pointless.

Of course the fact that Baltar didn't end up trapped under tons of stone annoys me, but I did like the first half, with all the space battle, though some of the shots with the CGI original cylons seemed, uh, not sure what the word is, seemless, that's it. It wasn't seemless. They looked fake. The "new" centurions didn't. I don't know what was up with that.

Meh.

Anybody up to a real challenge? :devil:

I watched the first season of BSG, but no more.

Anyone feel they have sufficient fortitude to spoil me on how the series ended, in such a way that I can actually understand it? :D

(It's not important that I know every little detail--I know we're talking 4 years of TV here--just enough that I have a solid sense of how all the basic issues evolved and were wrapped up.)

I know it's asking a lot. That's why I said "challenge." ;)

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
There was a plan, a ancient plan by a higher force...

(someone else fills that in)

Anybody up to a real challenge? :devil:

I watched the first season of BSG, but no more.

Anyone feel they have sufficient fortitude to spoil me on how the series ended, in such a way that I can actually understand it? :D

(It's not important that I know every little detail--I know we're talking 4 years of TV here--just enough that I have a solid sense of how all the basic issues evolved and were wrapped up.)

I know it's asking a lot. That's why I said "challenge." ;)

Last edited:

Bishop Odo

Explorer
The entire agrarian, walk away from technology was a big reach. Most of the people really where not doing what needed to be done to survive, I know it a TV show with limited in budget, but how many knew anything about farming... Medicine, I mean Hotdog’s kid is as good as dead, yea just a few holes.

But, it’s over and time to move on....

DonTadow

First Post
And they did try technological colonization once and that didn't work out so well (even before the Cylon's arrived). Though I am sympathetic to the "don't think all 40k would agree" argument.

It was an interesting way to end the series. I would have preferred the Daniel-Kara theory than the Angel-Kara theory, but hey, writers are weird that way. Time to break out the Angel-Daniel-Kara theories now....
So make a no more evil robots law ;). They showed consisant infighting among the survivors the whole series, it was one of the things that made the show feel real. And then in the end they all adopot a hive mindand say lets ditch technology. I'm not talking robot servants. I"m talking basic stuff they've gotten use to like plumbing, lights, coffee, strong construction against harsh elements, guns, heck.. music. I imagine that the rela conversation starts out with Lee suggesting this idea, and then being met halfway, where some of the population keep their technology, possibly in egypt and greece, but can not advance it either further and must use it to prepare the next generation nor contact any of the natives. Eventually these two nations bio weapon each other over a dispute and then the hippies point and say see, no more technology. It just seems kinda of a leap of faith ;) they want the readers to take to believe this. Even accidentally, its hardpressed for us not to reinvent basic needs when we know they exist. Warmer clothing, better defensive weapons, safer methods to cook food.

If you told a few hundred kids they could no longer have any of their favorite toys, but instead can have a nice stick, you're libel to have a riot

Things seemed to have worked very well on New Caprica until the occupation.

In any case, my wife was watching the season finale (the last hour), she had given up on the show sometime a year ago because it seemed to have gotten off track. She watched this and she said, "wow, i'm glad i stopped watching this. This seems like the worst ending ever for a show". And whereas i thought it was a lot better than worst (putting the events in a slightly better than mediocre, and the actual ending in an unlikely ending catagory) i can see her point.

Well it was a pretty good ending to the series; however rather than the planet being Earth I think that it would have been more interesting if the planet had turned out to be Kobol of the past.

That would have really borne out the whole "It has all happened..." motif better methinks.

As for the Kara being an angel, how does that make her the harbinger of death?

I wish that they had ended the show with the final scene being the Galactica coming over the moon with the Earth just beyond, they could have left the question open as to whether the timeframe was now-a-days, the past, or the future.

I was so expecting the final words to be that speech from the original series about "Some believe that life here began somewhere out there..."

MarkK

Wolf72

Explorer
GAH, did the show run over a few minutes? (I still use a VCR for this stuff and set it to end at 11:05) ... the last scene I have is Adama talking to the pile of Roslin's rocks. I'm guessing that was pretty much it though.

I don't know about the giving up everything, like another poster said I didn't live a life where technology nearly eradicated the human race ... but I don't think I would sent the fleet away.

I'd the idea of exploring to much ... not walking but getting into a fold ready ship and going (but again, I'm earthbound not spacebound like they were).

No cities? ... or no cities yet? ... language, I'm guessing they'd (or their descendants) would meet up again.

I hope they kept some books, or data pads so they can relearn how to build ships, analyze plants ...

How many of skin-jobs were left? (they should have shown more too). Six's are combat beasts, I wonder how they'd fare in this new world.

What holocaust caused the destruction of Cylon Earth (who did it? other Cylons I assume)

Ghostwind

First Post
Hmmm so where does Atlantis fit in with this? An area where survivors decided to make use of their technology? Lots of goodies there.

Cergorach

The Laughing One
It was a good ending for the series, most if not all the open threads where closed, whether satisfactory or not.

Some things that have me wondering, the original series seems to have happened before the current series, due to the older style centurions. That kind of means that the eighties happened at least twice, which kind of makes you wonder ;-)

Ty with his patch reminds me of Odin, which could make sense, because these people are kind of like gods to the natives (not to mention all the Greek god names the characters have).

The whole God/Angel issue, I think people take it way to literary. If a thing is advanced enough, people will quickly see it as something supernatural and try to cast it in their own religious frame of mind. Not to mention that (head) Baltar says "You know he doesn't like that name.", indicating that whoever 'God' is, he thinks he either doesn't deserve the name or doesn't describe him well enough (or that it's a name that belongs to someone/something else). I was thinking on an advanced computer program that did evolve while the 'five' where surviving as humans. (Head) Baltar only mentioned the colonies and original earth, either he was incomplete or only knows about those instances (meaning he's no older then old earth).

In all it closes the storyline nicely, but leaves room for a lot of speculation, which is good in my book.

@mouseferatu

The series takes a different turn after the first season, more mystical and more drama. I would advice you watch the rest of the series on DVD and skip the boring (and stretched out) parts of the series, the overall story arc is interesting enough, but often the execution of the individual episodes leaves much to be desired.

Remove ads