• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

BATTLESTAR GALACTICA: Season 2A Part 10; NSCR/9.23.2005. Mid-Season Ending

mmu1

First Post
Mustrum_Ridcully said:
About Boomer not defending herself:
Remeber that Gina killed 7 of the interrogaters men - and where it got her...

Violence doesn´t help, especially when you're desperately trying to keep yourself and your unborn child alive while people are holding guns at you... Any form of agressive defense would have probably killed her child, maybe even Boomer herself. (Not that a rape itself isn't a risk, too...)

1. We don't even know in which circumstances "Gina" killed seven people, or that she killed them all at once.

2. Just because you're strong and skilled enough to kill a man with your bare hands doesn't mean that you'll be able to do it when three strong men surprise you and restrain you.

3. The "Gina" model is obviously much taller and larger than the "Boomer" model, as well as more aggressive.

4. We don't know how much of the "human" cylons' strength is "hardware" and how much is "software". You could do pretty "superhuman" things if you could ignore pain and get an adrenaline boost on demand without being significantly different physiologically. Maybe the "Boomer" models we've seen so far, that were designed to pass for humans for extended periods of time, are just wired differently.

Atridis

First Post
mmu1 said:
4. We don't know how much of the "human" cylons' strength is "hardware" and how much is "software".
Yes, the Boomers we've seen have clearly been intended to act human in every way, more so than some of the other models. Do we even know that she has superhuman strength?

Aers

First Post
Mustrum_Ridcully said:
About Boomer not defending herself:
Remeber that Gina killed 7 of the interrogaters men - and where it got her...

Violence doesn´t help, especially when you're desperately trying to keep yourself and your unborn child alive while people are holding guns at you... Any form of agressive defense would have probably killed her child, maybe even Boomer herself. (Not that a rape itself isn't a risk, too...)

and yet the fact that the "interrogator" had no problem with raping a pregnant woman (albeit a toaster or not) shows how on the Pegasus it's all about who has the power.

IF this were a competent officer (and let's assume he was briefed on Boomer's condition) he'd be threatening her unborn child, not resorting to sexual assault on their first meeting. He tosses the pictures of the unknown ship at her within a few minutes and calls on his troops to help him assault her. Hardly the final resort of a tired and exhausted interrogator desperate to get vital intel for his men.

and given the attitude of the Pegasus deck crew in the drinking area about women, I daresay that if/when the mutiny happens that there'll be a LOT of grateful women and a lot of horrific stories coming out about sexual assault and worse. The fact that the deck crew saw nothing wrong with discussing this graphically in front of Galactica's female members points out a lack of morals that's frightening. I'd worry if I were a woman about to be transferred to Pegasus - oh, yeah.

:uhoh:

DonTadow

First Post
Aers said:
and yet the fact that the "interrogator" had no problem with raping a pregnant woman (albeit a toaster or not) shows how on the Pegasus it's all about who has the power.

IF this were a competent officer (and let's assume he was briefed on Boomer's condition) he'd be threatening her unborn child, not resorting to sexual assault on their first meeting. He tosses the pictures of the unknown ship at her within a few minutes and calls on his troops to help him assault her. Hardly the final resort of a tired and exhausted interrogator desperate to get vital intel for his men.

and given the attitude of the Pegasus deck crew in the drinking area about women, I daresay that if/when the mutiny happens that there'll be a LOT of grateful women and a lot of horrific stories coming out about sexual assault and worse. The fact that the deck crew saw nothing wrong with discussing this graphically in front of Galactica's female members points out a lack of morals that's frightening. I'd worry if I were a woman about to be transferred to Pegasus - oh, yeah.

:uhoh:

My GF watched the show and had a blunt and other perspective of the pegasus assault. "The pegasus crew doesnt see the cylons more as robot blow up dolls". This made me rethink how harshly I've been dondoning the pegasus crew. Rape is always a vile act, but they don't see it as rape. They see it as taking advantage of nothing more than a machine. If I'm correct, didn't the cylons early design use to be to serve mankind before they took on sentience?

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
Flexor the Mighty! said:
I agree. At least so far that's how I see it. Do you think Admiral Cain, a woman, is going to have the men raping and assaulting the female crew? I really doubt it, and if that is the case I think it will be very poor writing.

I don't think the crew of Pegasus view Boomer or Gina as much more than this thing http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4714135.stm

Good find!!!

Oh man...there is a bit of truth, in all that fiction.

Kahuna Burger

First Post
Flexor the Mighty! said:
I agree. At least so far that's how I see it. Do you think Admiral Cain, a woman, is going to have the men raping and assaulting the female crew? I really doubt it, and if that is the case I think it will be very poor writing.
you might be suprized at how some female 'higher-ups' can lose empathy for rank and file women, especially if they have achieved their goals by becoming "one of the guys" consiously or not. If the female crew in question were support staff or impressed civilians (not the warrior caste as it were) I would be completely unsuprized to see her turn a blind eye to "her men's" actions. Pack behaviour knows no gender.

Im not predicting either way, but I wouldn't consider it bad writing at all.

Remove ads