• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

BattleStar Galactica:Season 3.5--1/28/07--Arc 12

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
sensate said:
Any speculation about what was going on between Gaeta and Baltar? What is the secret Baltar threatened Gaeta with?

In my opinion, Gaeta is probably a cylon. He was trying to kill Baltar before Baltar could betray them. Baltar knows, and told Gaeta he was going to rat him out.

Pseudonym

Ivan Alias
Mark Hope said:
I couldn't get that to load - it just hung at the "your video will start after a short advertisment" screen. Is it limited to US viewers only? Any chance it might end up on YouTube?

I had to restart it three times, but eventually it played. I think it's just The Man trying to keep my linux box down.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
BlueBlackRed said:
I really hope this episode is the last of their kind.
I'd hate to think that this kind of boring dreck continues.

I liked it, and a lot of people liked it. But, I agree that some more action is called for.

sensate

First Post
Mistwell said:
In my opinion, Gaeta is probably a cylon. He was trying to kill Baltar before Baltar could betray them. Baltar knows, and told Gaeta he was going to rat him out.
That would mean he is one of the final five. I don't think Baltar knows who the final five are.

satori01

First Post
Apollo & Starbuck are just pathetic now. Complicated romances happen in real life, but to watch hour upon hour of this ...crap is awful.

This episode revises my opinion for how long the characters can drive the show. The show should end next season. There is just not much more that can go on.

Unlike Lost, the young actors on this show just are not compelling enough to make me want to endure endless hours of the personal.
Overall the writing has NOT been up to snuff this season.

Do not get me wrong, there are alot of good ideas, and good scenes but I am sick of Apollo/Starbuck. I am sick of Hello/Athena.

I do not want to watch a Telemundo Novella in space, and this is what the show is drifting to.

Wormwood

Adventurer
Mistwell said:
But, I agree that some more action is called for.

More action would be fun, but that's not my primary complain about this episode. I normally enjoy BSG when it is in character-development/exploration mode.

But the star-crossed lovers mini-arc? Hamfisted at best. Oh, I have discovered that Dualla is fantastic is small, measured doses---but her performance was brutal this past episode.

Sir Brennen

Legend
I haven't had a lot of problems with the personal story lines, but the editing of the last episode set my teeth on edge. Usually this quick back-and-forth between scenes technique is done to emphasis parallels between ongoing situations, such as the excellent use of this technique during the Pegasus episode where Cain and Adama finished each other's sentences as they plotted one another's assassination. But the Baltar interrogation and the love quadrangle simply didn't have enough thematic elements in common to warrant the use of the inter-cutting. It failed to heighten the tension for the Apollo/Starbuck scenes, and it actually undercut the drama in the Baltar scenes.

That said, Apollo ordering his wife into danger to save his lover? Excellent. Helio shooting Athena at her insistence so she could rez on the basestar? Excellent. Tigh, Baltar, Caprica and even D'anna's character journeys this season have been great. I strongly disagree with the idea that the show can no longer be supported by "character driven stories" on the basis of a few below average scenes from a couple of episodes.

Last edited:

LightPhoenix

First Post
Wormwood said:
But the star-crossed lovers mini-arc? Hamfisted at best. Oh, I have discovered that Dualla is fantastic is small, measured doses---but her performance was brutal this past episode.

I totally agree. Dualla is really grating on my nerves, more so than Cally used to. Only part of it I'm liking at all is Anders, because Anders is awesome.

If it weren't for the Baltar/Roslin/Adama stuff, this would easily be the Black Market of this season. In fact, it would probably be worse.

The cutting at the end of the episode drove me insane. Whoever decided that intercutting Baltar being tortured with the quadrangle needs a good hard slap. It completely ruined the scene with Baltar, for absolutely no payoff.

sckeener

First Post
sensate said:
That would mean he is one of the final five. I don't think Baltar knows who the final five are.

Doesn't mean he can't guess. Gaeta is in a good position to be a cylon. He played all the sides while on the planet.

I think the final five don't know where earth is and want everyone, humans and cylons, working toward that goal. The best way to ensure that is to keep everyone alive and moving. Baltar has become unnecessary because Gaeta is now plotting the course and Baltar knows too much.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads