• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

BattleStar Galactica:Season 3.5--2/25/07--Arc 15

DM_Matt

First Post
I'd like to echo the angry. Tyrol is a frakking idiot. First he plays right into Baltar's clearly-intentional plan to undermine humanity, then he arranges to fix lack of economic mobility by having the government assign people jobs at random, and then when one of his poorly-randomly-assigned workers inevitably gets hurt, he shuts down the fleet while the cylons are out there ready to wipe thme out. Idiot, idiot, idiot...and I think that the writers are trying to get us to side with him.

EDIT: And then Roslin gives him everything he wants, for his brilliant lunacy.

Last edited:

It has some ties into the larger storyline, like how the Tylium supplies are beginning to run critically low again, Baltar is trying to start some kind of Communist revolution, and a recurring character is now a pilot trainee.

We learned a little more about the Colonies, that apparently Aerelon was the "bread basket" of the Colonies, and some were richer and more affluent, some were poorer and more "underclass".

That and Tyrol's time on New Caprica as a union boss has left more of an impact on him than we first thought.

Adama once thought Cain was over the edge for sentencing Tyrol and Helo to death for murder with little more than a summary hearing, now he's willing to order Cally and others summarily put up against a bulkhead and shot for mutiny. That sounds a lot more like something Cain would have done. Is Adama's humanity beginning to erode?

It might be "filler" but it does contribute to the show as a whole with a lot of character development, background on the setting, and setting the foundation for future developments.

I guess he sees a difference between killing someone who tries to rape a woman, and stranding the rest of humanity in the middle of nowhere with no hope of escaping a possible enemy attack.
Still, it was definitely borderline and not a kind of threat I would have gone through with, probably not even one I had attempted to make.

But it was interesting to see how Baltar is trying to get out of his awful situation. There seemed little reason to believe he could not get sentenced to death, but with a book like that, he should be able to mobilize a few followers that might make the whole trial a lot harder...

The Grumpy Celt

Banned
Banned
Mustrum_Ridcully said:
But it was interesting to see how Baltar is trying to get out of his awful situation...

Didn't Felix say something about Baltar having a remarkable ability to stay alive, that staying alive was his only real goal.

Mustrum_Ridcully said:
...he should be able to mobilize a few followers that might make the whole trial a lot harder...

Zerek said that trial would cause chaos, that it would tear the fleet apart. I had thought he was simply talking about people getting into fights overs whose desire for vengeance was greatest. I had not thought Baltar would recruit followers.

DM_Matt

First Post
wingandsword said:
That and Tyrol's time on New Caprica as a union boss has left more of an impact on him than we first thought.

Adama once thought Cain was over the edge for sentencing Tyrol and Helo to death for murder with little more than a summary hearing, now he's willing to order Cally and others summarily put up against a bulkhead and shot for mutiny. That sounds a lot more like something Cain would have done. Is Adama's humanity beginning to erode?

This one is actually ripped from the history books. President Truman forced an end to a steel strike in wartime by threatening to draft all the steelworkers, such that they would have to work or face the dire consequences of mutiny.

BlueBlackRed

Explorer
The Grumpy Celt said:
Steel Wind, BlueBlackRed, I don’t think we could possibly have watched the same episode of the same show.
Woah there, I never said I liked it that much, I just didn't have hostile thoughts afterwards.

This episode finally didn't feel like they were taking viewers for granted.

LightPhoenix

First Post
Wow, where to begin?

I guess with Baltar. You know it's an episode of BSG when Baltar can still sound sane and rational. His goals are almost certainly not altruistic, but everything he supposedly talks about in his book is presumably true, and there are several examples that back up his point.

Honestly, Tyrol should have told Adama to shoot Cally. Once that was done, the fleet would be dead in the water. No deckhand would have worked for Adama then. Plus, we'd be out Cally, and really, why can't she die? Adama's actions would have led directly to civil war in the fleet. That said, I think Tyrol ended up winning in the end, despite Roslin's deft maneuver of getting them to work again without making concessions. I think that both Adama and Roslin know now that any time they want, the "knuckledraggers" can stop the entire fleet dead.

Honestly, I think a lot of the working classes would choose New Caprica again, given the options. At least they wouldn't be in hideous working conditions that had lasted for two years straight. The change from Fleet to New Caprica and back is just movement from one kind of hell to another, one kind of cage to another, for the working class at least.

There's a trend that wars of independance are followed by civil wars. It's not always true, but often enough to be notable. I think we're going to see the fleet decend into civil war, except much bloodier than the Adama/Roslin religious conflict. Baltar's already manipulating the fleet against them, and there's nothing that causes more strife than socio-economic difference.

Remove ads