• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

BBEG advice... How to deliver good BBEG?

itsjustsoup.com

First Post
Don't ask me. I came up with a whole game add-on just to stop stuff like that. In my experience the BBEG either can usually insta-squash 1 pc if played right. Or is doomed to die. It's only when you play the BBEG and try to "Spread out the damage" that he is usually not taken seriously. But If I was a king bugbear and 4 adventures ran into my throne room, I'm killing the mage and the healer first! Fight to the death! (because PC's will never allow villains to run away - they just want them to stand and die) - SO I would protect my healer, and kill their healer and mage! Nevermind the fighters!

But we never play like this. I used to attempt as a GM to "scare" the PCS and "play out the terror" by insinuation he COULD take somebody out.

That usually winds the BBEG up with his butt in a sling in less than 3 rounds.

70% of the time, happens everytime.

An because of this the same players will rush a dragon, without bows or the ability to fly themselves, and I would feel terrible If I had the dragon simply take flight, and breathe on them to death.

otherwise - I get to hear bragging about killing a dragon who fought the pc's with the worst choices (table friendly) ever.

Take another look at your BBEG. and stop trying to hurt/ stun all the pcs - And MURDER the heck out of one. Things at the table will change.

Or, you could use Epic Hero and Villain Feat Cards (shameless plug, but is it? because I put no link, ha!).

Endur

First Post
Consider borrowing from other sources. Fiction, gaming, etc.

For example, in World of Warcraft, Arthas was all over Ice Crown in various cut scenes, but we didn't really get to fight him until the very end of Ice Crown Citadel.

Another example in World of Warcraft, in the Trial of the Champion, the party kills the Black Knight three times. First he is undead forsaken. Then he returns from being destroyed as a skeleton. Then he rises again as a wraith.

Remove ads