D&D General Beadle & Grimm's Matthew Lillard Launches D&D-themed Bourbon

The new super-premium bourbon whiskey line starts with the Paladin, will expand to 16 total RPG-inspired liquors.

Matthew Lillard announced his newest RPG-related project with the launch of Quest’s End, a custom line of bourbon whiskey.

Quests-End-Paladin-Bourbon-1536x1255.jpg

The first in the line of limited edition, "super-premium" whiskeys will be the Paladin from the boutique company Blue Run Spirits. The custom bottle includes a dragon head embossed on the neck, a crest on the front, a hit point tracker along the side, and a dungeon map on the back visible through the bottle. The whiskey itself is a blend of straight bourbon bottled at 100 proof from Blue Run Spirits and distilled in Kentucky and Indiana.

Beadle & Grimm co-founder Lillard is joined by screenwriter Justin Ware and Blue Run co-founder Tim Sparapani to create the line, joined by Kate Welch (Acquisitions Inc. performer and former Wizards of the Coast developer) to refine the flavor profiles and sci-fi artist Tyler Jacobson (Dungeons & Dragons, Pathfinder, Magic: The Gathering) providing illustrations and maps. Plans are to eventually expand the line to 16 character-inspired liquors, but aside from Paladin, we currently only know the next three: Rogue, Warlock, and Dragon.

In an interview with Hollywood Reporter, Scooby-Doo and Hackers star Lillard described the reason for starting with the Paladin:

We wanted to build something that allowed us the ability to control our own destiny. The idea of a Paladin is somebody that has a vision; a really strong belief. We thought it was a great way to start our story: with somebody that has a conviction that she fully believes in. And we feel the same way about this company, the idea of building stuff for fandoms.

Quest’s End Paladin will be available on October 6 and there will be a 48-hour pre-sale for those who sign up on the website. It is not clear if the bourbon will come with the free dice bag in the style made famous by the Canadian whisky brand Crown Royal.

Darryl Mott

Darryl Mott

"Super-premium" whiskey prices are all over the map, so it's hard to say how much this will actually cost. That's a heck of a clever bottle design, though.
I would like to try it but I know nothing about whiskey. I usually just drink crown royal. I would like to get into sippin whiskey but I don't know what would be good. This definitely has a cool factor.

Edit to add* I signed up and received an email but there's no link or anything just a thanks for signing up.

Abstruse

Legend
"Super-premium" whiskey prices are all over the map, so it's hard to say how much this will actually cost. That's a heck of a clever bottle design, though.
I checked other bourbons available from Blue Run and they range from $100 to $180 per bottle. Couldn't tell if they were a fifth or a quart though.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I checked other bourbons available from Blue Run and they range from $100 to $180 per bottle. Couldn't tell if they were a fifth or a quart though.
$100 is probably too rich for me -- I like bourbon, but I'd rather spend that money on fancy rum or tequila. Still, for a D&D fan, this is a lot more compelling than that vodka-in-a-skull bottle Dan Akyroyd sells.

Last edited:

Abstruse

Legend
$100 is probably too rich for me -- I like bourbon, but I'd rather spend that money on fancy rum or tequila. Still, for a D&D fan, this is a lot more compelling that vodka-in-a-skull bottle Dan Akyroyd sells.
I think this is the same niche they're going for. This is less "I want something to drink" and more "I want a centerpiece to break out at a small party as a conversation-starter" or "I want to buy someone a gift and they already own every Dwarven Forge set and that wood-burned DM screen".

$100 is probably too rich for me -- I like bourbon, but I'd rather spend that money on fancy rum or tequila. Still, for a D&D fan, this is a lot more compelling that vodka-in-a-skull bottle Dan Akyroyd sells.
But it’s triple filtered through Herkimer diamonds!

Speaking as someone who bought a bottle when Ackroyd first released the stuff, I can confirm - it does come in a cool bottle.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads