• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Bearman race

Ogrebear

Explorer
Hullo

Always wanted to build these guys, and I have finally done it. I am hoping to build a monster class version of them as well

All contructive comments welcome.

Bearmen
Medium size monstrous humanoid

Hit Dice: 2d8
Initiative: +1 (dex)
Speed: 30ft.
AC: 15
Attacks: 2 claws (+8 melee), Bite (+4 melee)
Damage: Claw 1d8+ 8, Bite 2d8+4

Face/Reach: 5ft x 5ft/ by 10ft.
Special Attacks: Improved Grab
Special Qualities: Low-light vision 60ft, scent

Saves: Fort +9, Ref+6, Will +3

Abilities: Str 19, Dex 15, Con 15, Int 11, Wis 14, Cha 10
Skills: Listen +4, Spot +7, Swim +14

Climate/Terrain: Temperate to Cold Forest, hills, mountains, caves
Organization: Solitary, Gang (4-6), Band (10-100)
Challenge Rating: 5
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: any good or neutral.
Advancement: By character class
Preferred Class: Ranger
Feats: Endurance, Run, Track.
Languages: Bearmen speak a complex language full of grunts, growls, and blowing. Bearmen also speak Elven, Slylvan and Common.

Level Adjustment: +3
ECL: 5

Combat

A Bearmen attacks mainly by tearing at opponents with its claws, they prefer not to use their bite attack unless forced to considering it ‘primitive’. They will often use improvised weapons such as tree trunks. Armour and sheilds are rare, but not unknown, esp amongst those Bearmen who's territory inculdes other races land.

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, a Bearman must hit with a claw attack. They can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity.
Skills: Bearmen have a +4 racial bonus on Swim checks.

Bearmen Society

Bearmen can be found in the great forests of the world. They tend to be gruff, and blunt with those they don’t know well. Most Bearmen males wander alone, patrolling their forests and territory, they tend to carry little equipment and will often use whatever comes to paw as improvised weapons.

They are not at all interested in power or treasure. All Bearmen will fight savagely to defend their homes and forests.

Bearmen have a well known love of honey and sweet alcohol.

Female Bearmen are most often found in small settlements- usually based around a defendable cave system. Female Bearmen spend most of their time raising the young, defending the villages, and organizing the trading Bearmen do with other forest dwellers such as the Elves and Centaurs.

Lore is passed on by oral tradition, writing is uncommon.

Bearmen Magic

The few magic using Bearmen are almost always Shamans or Druids. There have been no wizards or sorcerers. Magic is regarded as something that comes from the Spirits, and Bearmen Clerics do occur occasionally.

Bearmen description
Massive Bear headed humanoids that weigh a good 1,000 pounds and stand nearly 9 feet tall. Both males and females are covered in thick dark brown/black fur- Shamans and Druids often have other shadings such as cinnamon or blond. The rarest shade of fur is pure white. Hands and feet end in strong claws.

Pictures

A good example of a Bearmen (ignore the Were bit!): Bearman

and another: Furr

Darren Ravenshaw

First Post
Personally I think it is to powerful for it level. It has the following:

+3 Natural Armor(guessing AC 15 -2 from Dex leaves +3 Natural)

2 Claw attacks at 1d8 and a bite attack a 2d8(a Polar Bear[size large] has claw attacks doing 1d8 and a bite doing only 2d6). I would make the claws do 1d4 and the bite do 1d6(the same as a black bear[size medium]).

10' reach for a medium creature(to powerful) change to 5'.

It has Improved Grab(similiar to Improved Grapple), Endurance, Run, and Track with only 2 Hit Dice. That is 3 bonus feats. Scent and Track provide similiar abilities so I would remove Track.

Fort save should be +5(base +3 for 2 Hit Dice[good save] +2 from Con)
Reflex save should be +5(base +3 for 2 Hit Dice[good save] +2 from Dex)
Will save should be +2(base +0 for 2 Hit Dice[poor save] +2 from Wis)

+8 Str, +4 Dex, +4 Con, and +4 Wis with no negative modifiers is to powerful. I would reduce the Dex bonus to +0 the Wis bonus to +2 and add a -2 penalty to Int and Cha.

Remove ads