• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Beastmaster, a net, and crossbow expert action economy

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
No. You can't do this IMO. Since using your action to verbally command your companion is not the "Attack" action (it would be the Use an Object action I suppose...), the Crossbow Expert never gets triggered (no pun intended).

Even if you have Extra Attack, and you command your companion to take the Attack action, you gain an extra attack (not Attack action). With the attack granted by this special instance of the Extra Attack feature, you can make any normal attack, including using a net. So, if you have Extra Attack and verbally command your companion to take the Attack action, you could use the net, but since you never took the Attack action yourself, no bonus action hand crossbow shot.

Shiroiken

Legend
Now I want someone to toss a net around with Booming Blade. "Don't MOVE, I mean it!"
Sorry, but Booming Blade and Green Flame Blade are Melee only, and the Net is a ranged weapon. This is a good thing for Booming Blade, because with a bow or crossbow, that's pretty brutal.

Shiroiken

Legend
This kind of thing is why I make pet command a Bonus Action.
I simply have the pet continue the last command until completed. You only need to use the action if you want to change the target of the attack (such as if they die) or you want to switch tactics. I also have the pet act as they normally would if given no action, such as attacking an opponent that hits it first, or dragging you away if you're down.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Sorry, but Booming Blade and Green Flame Blade are Melee only, and the Net is a ranged weapon. This is a good thing for Booming Blade, because with a bow or crossbow, that's pretty brutal.

Thanks for catching my mistake before I wasted time designing around it.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I would allow it - once per fight (assuming the hand x-bow was pre-loaded). The hand crossbow still requires a free hand to reload.

After throwing the Net during their action the character absolutely has a free hand during the following bonus action use of the hand crossbow. I don't understand your issue.

After throwing the Net during their action the character absolutely has a free hand during the following bonus action use of the hand crossbow. I don't understand your issue.

It prevents someone pulling out another net as part of their move and using the same tactic on the following turn.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads