• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Beastmaster, a net, and crossbow expert action economy

Markh3rd

Explorer
I have a question concerning a BM using a net, having his pet attack, and then using the bonus action to fire a hand crossbow. I will quote the PHB so you don't have to look up each rule.

PHB

Beast Companion rules-
On your turn, you can verbally command the beast where to move (no action required by you). You can use your action to verbally command it to take the
Attack
Dash
Disengage
, or
Help
action. If you don't issue a command, the beast takes the
Dodge
action. Once you have the Extra Attack feature, you can make one weapon attack yourself when you command the beast to take the
Attack
action.

Net rules-
When you use an action, bonus action, or reaction to attack with a net, you can make only one attack regardless of the number of attacks you can normally make.

Crossbow Expert-
  • You ignore the loading property of crossbows with which you are proficient.
  • Being within 5 feet of a hostile creature doesn’t impose disadvantage on your ranged attack rolls.
  • When you use the Attack action and attack with a one-handed weapon, you can use a bonus action to attack with a hand crossbow you are holding.
So with these rules, is it legal to throw a net, have your pet attack, then bonus action use a hand crossbow? If this does not work, does that also imply that you cannot use the polearm bonus action attack either because it requires the attack action and not just an attack?

It's the "you can use your action to verbally command..." that makes me question if this is an attack action.

Markh3rd

Explorer
I'm specifically looking at the wording "you can use your action" since it's not worded as an attack action. Therefore if you command the beast to attack as an action, are you not taking the attack action on your turn, which then means you can't get the bonus actions for taking the attack action awarded by crossbow expert and polearm master feats.

I see no issue throwing the net and then your beast attacking, but I'm wondering about the bonus action attack following because of the wording "an action" and not "attack action".

Satyrn

First Post
I'm specifically looking at the wording "you can use your action" since it's not worded as an attack action. Therefore if you command the beast to attack as an action, are you not taking the attack action on your turn, which then means you can't get the bonus actions for taking the attack action awarded by crossbow expert and polearm master feats.

I see no issue throwing the net and then your beast attacking, but I'm wondering about the bonus action attack following because of the wording "an action" and not "attack action".

I would never consider such a strict reading of these rules as a DM (5e just isn't that fiddly in the way it's written), and so I'd totally say yes of course you can make the bonus action attack.

I suppose a DM who wanted to parse the rules down to exactly what they say, and only what they say, would rule opposite . . . but 5e's really not written to be parsed like that.

Last edited:

I would never consider such a strict reading of these rules as a DM (5e just isn't that fiddly in the way it's written), and so I'd totally say yes of course you can make the bonus action attack.

I suppose a DM who wanted to parse the rules down to exactly what they say, and only what they say, would rule opposite . . . but 5e's really not written to be parsed like that.

You can use the bonus action attack starting at level 5 when you use one attack of your extra attacks to have your pet attack.
Before that you can't.
Note that you also can't use the bonus attack when you use the hunter's whirlwind attack.
And this is one of those things I really dislike in the ranger's design. Features that work against each other. So not that the ranger is underpowered in any way, but he has too many things that work against him. Two weapon fighting as a ranger is quite problematic in a few occasions.

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth

It's a grey area, but since using your action to make an attack with a net fits the basic description of taking the Attack action, I'd say it satisfies the requirement for the Crossbow Expert bonus attack. I'd also say there's nothing wrong with using the bonus action first. :)

Satyrn

First Post
You can use the bonus action attack starting at level 5 when you use one attack of your extra attacks to have your pet attack.
Before that you can't.
Note that you also can't use the bonus attack when you use the hunter's whirlwind attack.
And this is one of those things I really dislike in the ranger's design. Features that work against each other. So not that the ranger is underpowered in any way, but he has too many things that work against him. Two weapon fighting as a ranger is quite problematic in a few occasions.

I did say a strict reading of the rules would net the opposite of how I'd interpret them.

And it's because a loose reading like mine doesn't result in the Ranger's features working against each other that I recommend not reading 5e in a strict manner.

Satyrn

First Post
. . . I'd also say there's nothing wrong with using the bonus action first. :)

mzq6m.jpg

jasper

Rotten DM
Ok, a net is one handed generally. Reasoning looking at Kuo-toa who carry spears, nets and sticky shields. So I will allow it. Even if the beast companion goes on another initiative.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
My absolute RAW, legalistic read:
You are not taking an attack Action, so you can't use the Crossbow Expert. (From reading of Ranger's Companion and Crossbow Expert).
If you were taking an Attack action, no problems using a Net as the only attack on your action, and then taking a different action type (bonus action) for Crossbow Expert (from reading of Net).

How I'd run it:
Go for it.

My actual thoughts:
Now I want someone to toss a net around with Booming Blade. "Don't MOVE, I mean it!"

Remove ads