D&D 5E Can I use action surge in the middle of another action (between attacks when attacking with extra attack)?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Put another way. RAW does not allow actions to be divided up. There is no language allowing or disallowing it, so the default is that you can't do it without a DM rule. There are, though, specific exceptions to that. Readied Action, Bonus Action and Movement are notable exceptions. As is the Shield spell.

If your position was correct, there would have been no reason to write in such exceptions.

ECMO3

Hero
Once again, if it's not written the default state is that you cannot do it.

Ok the "default state" is that you can't do it, but that is not RAW. I am interested in RAW.

Otherwise I could have my fighter fart neutron stars and think entire species into atoms. After all, RAW doesn't say I can't do those things, either.

It doesn't matter. The default state is that things that aren't written are a no. Otherwise my character could do billions, trillions or more probably, things that the game doesn't say he can't do.

And it is also not written that your fighter can drink milk. The default state is no unless the rules say otherwise; so by default your fighter can't use action surge between extra attacks, your fighter can't fart neutron stars and your fighter can't drink milk.

ECMO3

Hero
Because if you just took the action surge, what's distinguishing it from taking your action instead?

Action surge gives you an additional (normally second) action on your turn. That does not mean you need to use that action or the original first action.

No, the action surge must come after the action is taken or it isn't an additional action.

It absolutely is. You get an action on your turn whether you take that action or not and if you use action surge you get a second action, whether you took the first or not.

Just like if I dash on my turn. It gives me 30 additional move, but I don't have to use it.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Ok the "default state" is that you can't do it, but that is not RAW. I am interested in RAW.
RAW does not allow you to do it.
And it is also not written that your fighter can drink milk.
"The comforts of home are the goals of most halflings' lives: a place to settle in peace and quiet, far from marauding monsters and clashing armies; a blazing fire and a generous meal; fine drink and fine conversation."

"But they laugh loudly and heartily, and simple bodily pleasures-feasting, drinking, wrestling, drumming, and wild dancing-fill their hearts with joy."

"I've enjoyed fine food, drink, and high society among my temple's elite. Rough living grates on me."

"The Food, Drink, and Lodging table gives prices for individual food items and a single night's lodging."

Drinking is allowed by RAW.

Edit: From Volo's

"Even in such cases, the kobolds' fear of retaliation usually prevents them from trying to directly harm the gnomes, but they might spit in the milk.

"A boggle isn't above breaking dishes, hiding tools, making frightening sounds to startle cows and sour their milk."

So even milk is written. ;)

Last edited:

soviet

Hero
RAW does not allow you to do it.

"The comforts of home are the goals of most halflings' lives: a place to settle in peace and quiet, far from marauding monsters and clashing armies; a blazing fire and a generous meal; fine drink and fine conversation."

"But they laugh loudly and heartily, and simple bodily pleasures-feasting, drinking, wrestling, drumming, and wild dancing-fill their hearts with joy."

"I've enjoyed fine food, drink, and high society among my temple's elite. Rough living grates on me."

"The Food, Drink, and Lodging table gives prices for individual food items and a single night's lodging."

Drinking is allowed by RAW.

Edit: From Volo's

"Even in such cases, the kobolds' fear of retaliation usually prevents them from trying to directly harm the gnomes, but they might spit in the milk.

"A boggle isn't above breaking dishes, hiding tools, making frightening sounds to startle cows and sour their milk."

So even milk is written. ;)
Flavour text isn't rules

Put another way. RAW does not allow actions to be divided up. There is no language allowing or disallowing it, so the default is that you can't do it without a DM rule. There are, though, specific exceptions to that. Readied Action, Bonus Action and Movement are notable exceptions. As is the Shield spell.

If your position was correct, there would have been no reason to write in such exceptions.
When something is undefined, sometimes there is no default rule (ideally there is, but sometimes there is a hole that can't be plugged by the rules). There is no fallback that's absolutely definitive, so it's just left in limbo. It kind of feels like you are trying to create a 'default rule' which is 'Maxperson's personal preference'.

To me, this is a thing that just has to be adjudicated at the table. There is no right or wrong answer.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
When something is undefined, sometimes there is no default rule (ideally there is, but sometimes there is a hole that can't be plugged by the rules). There is no fallback that's absolutely definitive, so it's just left in limbo. It kind of feels like you are trying to create a 'default rule' which is 'Maxperson's personal preference'.

To me, this is a thing that just has to be adjudicated at the table. There is no right or wrong answer.
What page is the rule on that says which undefined things are yes, which are no, and which are maybe?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
What page is the rule on that says that undefined rules are to be interpreted as per Maxperson's opinions? I'm not sure where you're going with this.
I've never interpreted them for you or anyone else. What I've been saying from the beginning is that if it is undefined, RAW does not allow it. Keeping in mind that "RAW does not allow" is not the same as "RAW disallows." I have been saying that the default state is no, which is not accurate. It's really a default state of maybe. The DM has do decide yes or no if/when it comes up. What the default state absolutely is not, is yes. To be a yes it takes either an explicit written rule that says yes or a DM decision of yes.

Remove ads