D&D 5E Can I use action surge in the middle of another action (between attacks when attacking with extra attack)?

ECMO3

Hero
RAW does not allow you to do it.

Rules As Written means something must be Written concerning it. There is nothing written regarding action surge and extra attack, there is nothing written stating that you can't do this specifically and there also is nothing written that states something is assumed not allowed unless it is specifically allowed. That too is not Rules As Written.

As a basic premise, for something to be "RAW" there has to be written rules concerning it. Do you not understand that concept?

Drinking is allowed by RAW.

But drinking milk is not allowed because milk is not mentioned specifically. Sure they can drink something, just like they can use action surge, but RAW they can't drink milk. I think by your version of RAW they can drink water, wine and ale as I think all three of those things are mentioned specifically, although you could argue they are restricted to certain races as some of them are only mentioned in context to a specific race.

There are opther things that can be bought, but they can't be drank .... at least not RAW.

Also those quotes you gave did not specify the fighter class, so they are not doable by fighters.

"Even in such cases, the kobolds' fear of retaliation usually prevents them from trying to directly harm the gnomes, but they might spit in the milk.

Kobolds can absolutely spill milk, just like my fighter can absolutely action surge. The question though is can they DRINK milk. RAW they can't because it is not specifically mentioned right?

So even milk is written. ;)
Not as far as drinking it isn't.

I've never interpreted them for you or anyone else. What I've been saying from the beginning is that if it is undefined, RAW does not allow it. Keeping in mind that "RAW does not allow" is not the same as "RAW disallows." I have been saying that the default state is no, which is not accurate. It's really a default state of maybe. The DM has do decide yes or no if/when it comes up. What the default state absolutely is not, is yes. To be a yes it takes either an explicit written rule that says yes or a DM decision of yes.
Great! It sounds like you are agreeing with me. Which leaves me confused as to why you would post this?

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Action surge gives you an additional (normally second) action on your turn. That does not mean you need to use that action or the original first action.

It absolutely is. You get an action on your turn whether you take that action or not and if you use action surge you get a second action, whether you took the first or not.

Just like if I dash on my turn. It gives me 30 additional move, but I don't have to use it.
If you aren’t taking your action, WHY are you spending your Action Surge to get an action?!? That’s just nonsense. Why not just use your action in the first place?

And for that matter, why would you Dash if you’re using none of that movement? If you’re not exceeding your normal movement allowance, you’re not Dashing.

ECMO3

Hero
If you aren’t taking your action, WHY are you spending your Action Surge to get an action?!? That’s just nonsense. Why not just use your action in the first place?

I don't know, ask the player. It is not against the rules though though and that is my point.

And for that matter, why would you Dash if you’re using none of that movement? If you’re not exceeding your normal movement allowance, you’re not Dashing.

This I have seen happen a bunch, usually because playher change their mind on what they want to do or they run into difficult terrain or someone makes an AOO against them or they get knocked prone or something else impedes their movement.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Rules As Written means something must be Written concerning it. There is nothing written regarding action surge and extra attack, there is nothing written stating that you can't do this specifically and there also is nothing written that states something is assumed not allowed unless it is specifically allowed. That too is not Rules As Written.
Are you really failing, after my explaining it to you several times, conflating "RAW does not allow" with "RAW disallows?" C'mon man. It's getting old.
As a basic premise, for something to be "RAW" there has to be written rules concerning it. Do you not understand that concept?
I get it, but apparently you don't, because you keep claiming that if it's not written, it's allowed by default instead of the DM having to make up the rule.
But drinking milk is not allowed because milk is not mentioned specifically. Sure they can drink something, just like they can use action surge, but RAW they can't drink milk. I think by your version of RAW they can drink water, wine and ale as I think all three of those things are mentioned specifically, although you could argue they are restricted to certain races as some of them are only mentioned in context to a specific race.
Sure, but most things not mentioned are minor and the rule created through game play. If my PC goes to the bar and orders milk and the DM has the barmaid serve it to me, the rule has been made by virtue of the milk showing up. But maybe the DM wants the world to be strange and less earthlike, so there is no milk. The DM has to decide.
There are opther things that can be bought, but they can't be drank .... at least not RAW.
There are rules on eating or drinking. Have you read the PHB?
Also those quotes you gave did not specify the fighter class, so they are not doable by fighters.
Of course they are. The eating and drinking rules, and object interaction rules apply to all classes and NPCs.

Last edited:

aco175

Legend
I can agree that in the game, you can choose to use your additional action before your action. But logic dictates that this becomes your action since it is used first. It can be called your additional action in game terms. I do not see where it matters.

Kind of like when I play in a golf tournament and they give everyone a beer ticket and another player leaves and gives me his. Now I have my ticket and an additional one to use to get a beer. I go to the bar and give my additional one to the bartender telling him that this is the second one and not the first. He is going to say whatever or say that it is the first beer that he is giving me. But then I tell him it is the 2nd ticket so it is the additional one and not the first.

Kind of seems where we are at now.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I can agree that in the game, you can choose to use your additional action before your action. But logic dictates that this becomes your action since it is used first. It can be called your additional action in game terms. I do not see where it matters.
It matters because the fighter will sometimes kill the enemy with his Action Surge and fail to have used his action if he uses Action Surge first. That makes a difference since fighters may not have time to short rest before needing it again and many tables limit the number of short rests per day.

What page is the rule on that says which undefined things are yes, which are no, and which are maybe?
DMG, page 5, third paragraph under the Master of Rules heading:

The rules don't account for every possible situation that migth arise during a typical D&D session. ... How you deterimine the outcome of this action is up to you."

So RAW, if the books don't say, the dm decides.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
DMG, page 5, third paragraph under the Master of Rules heading:

The rules don't account for every possible situation that migth arise during a typical D&D session. ... How you deterimine the outcome of this action is up to you."

So RAW, if the books don't say, the dm decides.
That doesn't really change anything, though. The point they are trying to push is that if the rules don't say, it's automatically a yes. I'm arguing that the DM decides, and yes I know the rules say the DM does so, but it's still a house rule when he does. :)

Remove ads