D&D 5E Can I use action surge in the middle of another action (between attacks when attacking with extra attack)?

ECMO3

Hero
In play I have a Drow Eldritch Knight with Dispel Magic. She attacks with her first attack and triggers Shield , Can she action surge, cast Dispel Magic on the shielded enemy and then make her second attack without the shield in place?

I am not sure what the rules say about this. I know you can split your attacks and do other things between them, including reactions, bonus actions and movement but I don't know about taking an entire action in the middle of another action.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
since the Bonus Action should be allowed, then yes. I would permit it.

Action-Attack (Using one of two)
Opponent reaction - Shield
Bonus Action-Action Surge
New Action - Dispel Magic
Finish the Attack

You'd still have movement and a reaction

aco175

Legend
I would think that you cannot unless you have something specific that allows you to break the rule. I saw another thread using tavern brawler as an example, or charger feat that allows you to bonus action shove in the middle of moving.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
I would think that you cannot unless you have something specific that allows you to break the rule. I saw another thread using tavern brawler as an example, or charger feat that allows you to bonus action shove in the middle of moving.
What rule is being broken?

This is Action Surge
On your turn, you can take one additional action on top of your regular action and a possible bonus action.

This is Extra Attack
you can attack twice, instead of once, whenever you take the Attack action on your turn.
Since you can move, use bonus actions and use reactions in between attacks, the op seems valid

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Looking at the rules there are for Movement (PHB pg 190), under Breaking Up Your Movement there is an explicit declaration that you can do so between attacks if an action grants multiple ones.

It looks like you need explicit permission to put something between attacks in an attack action.

As a side note, Reactions do have specific language about when they trigger that is an instant response, so can interrupt other actions.

And while nothing allows "generic" bonus actions to happen between attacks either, there are some specific bonus actions that contain "immediate" or "immediately" which must happen at that point, but again that is something explicitly listed.

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
Personally, I think the scenario in the OP is cool as heck and is the whole point of why a player would choose Eldritch Knight. So just off rule of cool and rules as intended, I would say it works. But I also think it works as rules as written as well.

Let's imagine that instead it's a different scenario. An Eldritch Knight takes the attack action, and kills their opponent on the first attack. They want to choose a new target for their remaining attacks, but they are out of movement and the next closest opponent is 30 feet away. Would you rule that they couldn't use Misty Step to get to the other enemy? I can't imagine why this wouldn't work. And so, I see no reason the OP's scenario couldn't work.

Also, @bedir than , action surge doesn't require a bonus action to activate. It is one of the few abilities in 5e that doesn't require any kind of action to activate, you just get a second action on the turn you decide to use it.

Last edited:

ezo

I cast invisibility
In play I have a Drow Eldritch Knight with Dispel Magic. She attacks with her first attack and triggers Shield , Can she action surge, cast Dispel Magic on the shielded enemy and then make her second attack without the shield in place?

I am not sure what the rules say about this. I know you can split your attacks and do other things between them, including reactions, bonus actions and movement but I don't know about taking an entire action in the middle of another action.
Of course not every possible scenario is explicitly covered in the rules, one way or another.

There is only the rule about allowing you to move between attacks. There is no rule that once an action is begun, it must be completed before a bonus action is taking or another feature is used, including Action Surge.

Shield Master is a commonly used example. Unfortunately, JC has seemed to change his position on this, first saying the Attack action must be completed before the bonus action shove, and later saying you can Attack, bonus action shove, and attack again via Extra Attack.

In other ways, other examples are GWM or SS, and Reckless Attack. Accepting the -5 penalty is an option for each attack, it is not a "once you commit you are stuck with the -5 / +10 on all attacks". A barbarian with Extra Attack might attack normally, but then decide (after missing) to Reckless Attack on their second attack.

Consider this example: You make an attack against a target, reducing it to 0 hp. Your ally is fighting another foe, but they are 50 feet away and your speed of 30 feet is not sufficient. So, you choose to Action Surge, allowing you to take the Dash action, and close the distance to attack the second foe via your Extra Attack.

This is a case of Action Surge providing additional movement via the Dash action. Since we know you can move between attacks, this seems like it should be completely permissible.

Finally, looking at two other things: rule of cool (which this certainly would be!) and action cost: you are using one of your most powerful features (Action Surge) and expending a 3rd-level spell slot simply to allow you to make your second attack without Shield interfering. Depending on the AC in question with Shield added, you might have been better off using Action Surge to simply take the Attack action again, allowing you THREE further attacks (albeit against the increased AC).

So, while RAW I see nothing preventing this, and would certainly allow it, off-hand I would highly suspect you would be better off using Action Surge simply to make additional attacks, without costing you a valuable 3rd-level spell slot. Perhaps the exception would be if your dispel magic also helped allies attacking the same target?

Last edited:

Remove ads