D&D 5E Can I use action surge in the middle of another action (between attacks when attacking with extra attack)?

ECMO3

Hero
So, you're taking one attack, and he Shields. Dispel Magic is an Action to cast, so you're NOT taking the Extra Attack and instead using Action Surge to drop the spell? Dispel isn't a reaction, so you're not using it in the middle of your action.

this is what I am asking about, can I do this:

my action: attack (1st attack hits) waiting on 2nd attack
enemy reaction: shield spell
Action Surge action: cast Dispel Magic
finish attack action making the second attack

Of course, you've already said your DM is changing how racial spells work so it really doesn't matter what gets discussed here anyway

Well, yes he made Faerie Fire and Darkness work the same as they do for the newer races published in MOM. Levitate and Dispel Magic already works this way for me because it says in the feat you "learn" Levitate and Dispel Magic, which adds it to my list of known spells in addition to giving the free cast once a day (currently the only way I can cast DM). The Faerie Fire and Darkness noted in the PHB don't have this verbiage stating that you learn the spell.

Last edited:

the Jester

Legend
The rules do not explicitly allow or disallow interrupting an Action, so lack on either side carries no weight as an argument. I would go along with your |then the DM must make a ruling" except there is clear evidence in the Move action I quoted that you do need something explicit to act in the middle of another action, and a complete lack of evidence the other way show designer intent clearly.

So while a DM can make a ruling, the way the rules expect it to be is clear. There is evidence you can't interrupt without a special rule, and no evidence the other way.
I disagree that it's clear. The rules don't address it clearly, and the thing about breaking up your move doesn't have anything to do with breaking up your action. By your reasoning, if you're playing a 5th level fighter, you can't move, attack, keep moving, and make your extra attack, because it breaks up your action, but I think the intent is that you can indeed do that. Every 5e game I have been in, as DM or player, allows it.

I think the rules simply don't give any indication on it because, Extra Attack excepted, it's a pretty unusual situation, and it probably escaped notice during the 2014 PH's design.

MarkB

Legend
Just for comparison, if a character were under the effects of a haste spell and they used their first action to attack, could they take their second action in between making attacks with their first action?

the Jester

Legend
It's the same reason it matters what order you cast bonus spells in. If you cast a Bonus Action spell, the ONLY spell you can cast after than is a cantrip with a 1 Action cast time.
Nope, the order doesn't matter. The rule isn't "You can't cast another spell after a bonus action spell except for a cantrip with a casting time of 1 action," it's "You can’t cast another spell during the same turn, except for a cantrip with a casting time of 1 action."

ECMO3

Hero
Just for comparison, if a character were under the effects of a haste spell and they used their first action to attack, could they take their second action in between making attacks with their first action?

I think RAW this would have the same ambiguity, but we have done this a lot in games I play, which would explicitly mean it can.

ECMO3

Hero
It look cool, but I just wonder to know if you have better damage simply action surge to make another set of attacks.
Me maybe, the party no.

Also I have a 16 Strength and no melee combat feats, so it is not a super high DPR build. She is much more about tanking and controlling.

ezo

I cast invisibility
Sure, just like Action Surge, there is no rule explicitly forbidding breaking up an action to perform another action or bonus action.

Anything not explicitly called out in the rules leaves allowing or not completely up to the DM. 🤷‍♂️

ezo

I cast invisibility
Several examples can be created for various action or bonus action interruptions. For example:

Attack action (single attack kills foes), bonus action TWF throw light weapon (dagger, handaxe?) at another foe, move to different foe, make additional attack via Extra Attack, haste action to Disengage, finish move to go to where dagger/handaxe is, free action to pick up weapon.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I disagree that it's clear. The rules don't address it clearly, and the thing about breaking up your move doesn't have anything to do with breaking up your action.
False. Actually read the section I addressed.

By your reasoning, if you're playing a 5th level fighter, you can't move, attack, keep moving, and make your extra attack, because it breaks up your action, but I think the intent is that you can indeed do that. Every 5e game I have been in, as DM or player, allows it.
The exact paragraph that I referenced says this is allowed. It has become very clear that you either did not read it, or did not understand it.

(You're a long time poster, I am sure you are posting in good faith.)

Remove ads