*Beastmaster* Avoiding the one (or two) downsides...

Heya Folks!

TL;DR: Is there a way to make a non-small PC Beastmaster viable in a "Deadly/Dangerous" level play group?

So I love the underdog class in any game for some reason, and its no secret that for whatever reason Beastmaster is 5e's red headed step child. Nonsense I say, this class is awesome. There's no shortages of threads that argue the pros and cons of it, but there's one undeniable problem with the entire class: Your pet can get killed or KOed fairly easily.

When it comes to melee it's actually very easy to protect your buddy. Take a level of fighter at level 4 or 5 (depending) and take the ability that gives disadvantage to not attacking you when you have a shield. Keep your buddy close and presto, you'll have a high AC minion that simply isn't worth swinging at when they could be beating you to death (You may want to invest in extra defense!). There's plenty of other solutions too for melee, including Sentinel and/or using the Giant Snake and keeping it in a good position or using a flying creature with flyby (If your DM is letting you use Flying Snakes anyway)... basically no shortage of solutions for melee damage.

The problem is spells. Your buddy will get nuked by AoE, eventually, no matter how good you are at keeping it safe. One invisible wizard later and pow!

Now there's one obvious way to overcome this and I want to get this out of the way first:

Mounted Combat

This pretty much solves everything wrong with your Beastmaster, but the reality is I hate the idea of being pigeonholed into a race selection. Do I think riding a giant crab sideways into battle is awesome. Hell yes. Do I want to play a halfling or a gnome? If the answer is no, what am I to do?

So crap, I am careful and tactful. My buddy even has a decent save if you read the rules as they get your prof bonus to their saves (very ambiguous!), but even a save vs. a fireball or something of that magnitude is going to drop my poor friend like a rock, a second hit may simply kill him outright.

So here's the problem to overcome. I've been pondering if it is possible, in a dangerous campaign setting (obviously if you're after a flavor setting you just do what you think is fun), to make a non-small Beastmaster.

Honestly, I don't know. The only "solutions" I have come up with are as follows... and they're all pretty silly, take forever to come online, or just plain dangerous.

Option 1:
Take 7 levels of Nature Paladin!
Thematically this is awesome, but in reality? You're at minimum level 10 before this even does what you want. Odds are you'd go Paladin 7 first and then Ranger 13, which means early on you can expect to lose a lot of companions (Since at level 8 they'd have 4-12 HP or so). On the plus side you and your buddy are super protected vs. spells thanks to the warding aura. There's some funky stuff you can end up doing, such as Find Steed w/mounted combat + your companion and I think its thematically awesome to be the protector of animals or whatever you want to RP it as. It's a long way to go, but provides a lot of cool features. Still, this feels like a pretty sub-optimal route.

Of course, this brings up the awkward question of if a SMALL creature can ride YOU into combat... with you on your horse, and your rat or whatever on YOU... and on him some tiny creature... no no, that's just nonsense.

Option 2:
Take 6 Levels of Nature Cleric!
Well, we managed to shave 1 level off the goal, which is protecting them from bursts of AOE- which will nearly always be elemental damage. It will only work for 1 hit per round (and you have to pick if its saving you OR your buddy), but its an option. Once again its also a great thematic fit. Again though, you're talking 9 levels to come online minimum and, unless you start at Cleric 9, really you're looking at 11 levels in reality, making this sub par to the Paladin route. (5 levels of Ranger to get two attacks and then 6 Cleric).

Both cases we're taking half the game todo what we can get with Mounted Combat at level 4 AND giving up 24-28 HP for our friend, which nearly defeats the purpose of it all.

Option 3 - Thinking Outside the Box
3 Levels of Sorc/Wiz
Ok now we've entered the stranger realm of this nonsense... which is we RETURN to mounted combat. 4 Levels of Ranger (to get Mounted Combat, maybe 5 for Extra) and 3 levels of spell casting. Why? Enlarge. As a concentration spell its a massive price to pay (and what the hell happens if you lose concentration riding something you enlarged!?), though it comes with a large variety of funky bonuses and the other spells you'll get can certainly be handy, I can't see it be worth doing. Funny to see a LARGE giant crab, but probably not worth the cost of admission.
So that's it. This is where I ran out of ideas. I can't see any way to make the survival of my pet possible unless my DM is letting me use Flying Snakes (which I imagine many DMs will simply tell you that isnt a creature you've ever seen before, let alone encountered after level 3). Flying snakes 'flyby' and tiny size mean it is pretty likely to zip in, do damage, and take full cover... for instance if your character is carrying a box :p

Anyone have any suggestions? A spell I overlooked? Some way to transfer damage, add resistance, or give a large stack of temp HP?

Bonus! The other problem most people point out with pets is they can't get a magical attack, which means many enemies may be immune / resistant to them. I think this is pretty minor, even at high levels. Unless ALL you are fighting is things that require magic weapons, if my beast and I can lock down some mooks while the big resistant baddie takes on everyone else that sounds ok. If someone has a solution to this other than a magic item, I'd be interested to hear it. Again, I think this is a minor drawback. Against that enemy are you weaker than other classes? Sure, but your companion is still handy for sniffing out danger, reporting on enemy movements, and just being a fun guy to have around the campfire.

Coyote81

First Post
Random thought, if playing with UA material, the Artificer can make potion of growth, which give the enlarge portion of the spell for 1d4 hours with no concentration checks. it takes first level spells and is accessible at level 2 Wizard. Level 2 wizards know 3 first level spells and 3 cantrips. So you could have 3 Growth potions, as well as having access to the new SCAG combat cantrips booming blade and green flame blade. (Perfect for a ranger).

So overall the plan would be:
Human(Variant) - Healer Feat for stabilizing your beast
Beastmaster3/Artificer2

mellored

Legend
Multi-class will hurt your pet's HP a lot. Hard to overcome that.

I houserule "revivify beast" as a level 2 ranger spell. Cost 30 gold worth of diamond dust.

[MENTION=6801209]mellored[/MENTION] It certainly will hurt the pet HP, though the goal here is to do this without houserules.

The math on it is pretty simple though. Lets take a realistic level: 12.

If you go 7 Paladin / 5 Ranger your pet has 20 HP. If you go 12 Ranger your pet has 48.

If your pet gets hit with a fireball level damage (8d6) you're looking at the avg 28:

Pal/Ranger: 14 dmg / 7 dmg (Save)
Pure Ranger: 28 dmg / 14 dmg (Save)

Which means your pet is worse off if it fails, but is less likely to do so due to the paladin.

Though being hit by a 5th level caster isn't quite so dangerous at level 12. It's mostly a wash really.

IF you can protect your companion from melee damage the paladin mix may come out on top at later levels. Assuming the source of AoE damage is a spell anyway. If its a non-spell like a dragon you can kiss your friend goodbye.

So yeah, my point is despite giving 3 options none of them are good :( I agree sacrificing 7 levels of HP (28 HP) is a huge burden to overcome.

[MENTION=6804206]Coyote81[/MENTION] - Now you're talking! That's the kind of outside the box thinking I like!

So the end result is you're now a medium creature mounted on a large creature by putting your companion on D&D Steroids all the time.

Sadly you'd probably want to ditch Healer at level 1 and replace it with Mounted Combat, which would let your combo come online 1 level earlier (since you'd have to be Ranger 4 to get Mounted otherwise) and pick up Healer or something at level 6.

Also there's not much value in those two cantrips since they take your action (which means until Ranger 7 your pet isn't doing anything when you use them). That said, having access to cantrips and level 1 spells has a lot of great uses, including just tossing up Shield or mage armor for your friend (not that leather barding is so expensive).

In the end though we're still stuck with mounted combat as the solution to protecting your pet from AoE so far - but that was a solution I hadn't considered since I haven't run into anyone allowing UA.

[MENTION=6801209]mellored[/MENTION] - HAHA, now I am imagining giving this super-inspirational speech to my dog. "Come on boy, you're strong, you're great. You've got big brown eyes and soft puppy kisses!"

Ironically anything you do to boost temp HP is going to land in favor of the crazy paladin route. If you're packing a +3 CHA bonus and level 12 in the example above, that is 15 HP, enough to basically survive 1-2 extra fireballs. It's an interesting notion.. and I suppose somewhat helpful to everyone in the group before the mission.

"Who's a good dog!? YOU'RE A GOOD DOG." *tail wags*

faria

First Post
If we're talking optimization, just buy Growth potions. Don't nerf yourself by multiclassing into Artificer. You could buy dozens of those potions every time you go back to town. My group is sitting on like 15k group gold by level 10 and not a whole lot to spend it on. Eventually you can do a favor for a wizard in exchange for a permanent Enlarge spell on your Animal Companion. But in the meantime, buy potions. Not hard.

I agree multiclassing is bad for pet HP, but if you're actually riding your pet with the Mounted Combatant feat, then your pet's not going to die very often. Throw some Barding on it too if you're so concerned.

Or you could just go with a Small race. Nothing wrong with gnomes and halflings. They get nice racials.

Buy yeah, to answer the question, don't multiclass, just buy potions.

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I let the ranger spend spell slots to heal the beast as a bonus action, and let it dash, dodge and disengage as a bonus action. Also, bonus hp, and you can spend a spell slot of the highest level you have, At the end of a long rest, to revive the pet.

Bonus hp is mathy, but so far giving it has worked to start giving it hp at level 7 equal to half what you gain at a given ranger level, rounded down. So if you gain 6, it gets 3. Between that and the healing, it doesn't die much, and the mobility of the other change makes it more useful without making it much deadlier, which is the right way to go, imo. It's already adding a body to your side that doesn't get part of the xp or loot, and it is already a big boost out of combat. If you want deadly, there are options for that, built into the list of critters.

Oh, and I allow large mounts, as per find steed.

famousringo

First Post
I also have a sneaking itch to play a viable beastmaster. Hard to optimize, but if you do, I don't think it's as bad as it's made out to be. It's actually pretty competitive with Hunters, but trades AoE for battlefield control if you pick the right beast.

Remember that you can add barding. Okay, it's pretty implausible to mount armour on a snake, but a wolf with a breastplate enjoys a solid 18 AC at level 3, rising up to 22 as your proficiency bonus increases.

For the more esoteric pets, Mage Armour is an easy dip in wizard or sorcerer and its range is touch, so your snake can achieve AC 19(!) at level 4. A little arcane magic pays off when you hit Ranger 15, too, when something like Absorb Elements can protect both you and your pet from the same dragonbreath attack. Plus it harkens back to those old rangers that got both wizard and druid spells. Spiffy.

Last edited:

Remove ads