• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Beauty and the Beast: The adventures of Hulgor and Gwennid! Updated 7/11!

Nice one Munin, solid writing so far. I'm enjoying this.

What level are these characters? Just wondering about Kyton's etc.

Looking forward to the next one.

Spider J

Munin

First Post
Session IV, part I
savagery in the Duskmoon hills

Hulgor shifted uncomfortably in his saddle. He was no stranger to horses, but nearly two weeks of constant riding was beginning to take its toll on his backside. Since leaving Muffin’s Honor his days had been a fantastically boring combination of riding, sleeping and eating, and far too little of the latter two for his taste. The caravan train could only move as fast as the slowest wagon, which meant they cut a turtle’s pace of less than five leagues a day across the rolling landscape. They awoke at first light, usually after a long night watch, readied the horses and wagons, wolfed down a quick breakfast and started out. A cold lunch of hard tack and jerky eaten from horseback served as lunch. Dinner was the highlight of Hulgor’s day, when the men would pass ‘round the ale and relive the glories of days gone by.

Toward the end of the second week, the headmaster informed them that the caravan was taking a shortcut through Fool’s Pass, a seldom-used road that cut right through the Duskmoon hills and connected up with Traveler’s Way. It was risky, he said, but would shave nearly four days off the trip.

At this point, anything would be welcome to break up the monotony as far as Hulgor was concerned, and late in the afternoon on the second day in the pass, something did.

The shadows were growing long on the grey hills, casting a gray shroud over the caravan. Hulgor could feel the tension growing amongst the guard. The light conversation that was normally a constant but welcome part of the day trickled and finally stopped altogether as the guards cast uneasy glances over their shoulders at the dark pools of shadows gathering around the hills, searching in vain for some hidden watcher.

It was Gwennid who spotted them first, catching a glint of light reflecting off a spear tip. She and Hulgor were patrolling the middle of the caravan, each on either side of a large grain wagon. At the same moment that she shouted a warning, a caravan driver further up the train screamed out: “Grimlocks!” and reached for his sword.

As one, dozens of grimlocks leapt up from the ambush at the top of a crest and hurled their javelins at the long, lumbering caravan train. Screams filled the air as men were struck and fell. The creatures raced down the hill, cruel stone axes in hand, and battle was joined. Hulgor set his back to a wagon and met the charge head-on. One of the filthy gray-skinned creatures swung wildly at the half-orc, who parried a blow that would have easily lopped off his head had it struck. He ducked and narrowly missed a second overhead chop that bit into the wooden side of the wagon, sending a painful spray of splinters into his cheek.

Beside him, a guard had his legs cut out from under him and went down with a scream. Even with his foe writhing on the ground in agony, the grimlock did not let up in his attack, but continued to hack at him mercilessly with his axe. The man’s cries were brutally cut short.

Gwen was in a desperate predicament: two grimlocks had quickly surrounded her, looking for an easy kill. She ducked and weaved but did not entirely avoid the razor-sharp axes. Blood flowed freely from a jagged cut on her shoulder. Try as she might, she just could not hit them. Her twin blades danced in her hands, but the savages stayed just out of reach. The guard next to her had his head nearly severed from an axe-blow, dropping instantly with a spray of blood that soaked the nearby wagon.

Hulgor sidestepped an attack and brought his axe up in a short arc with all of his might, burying the thick blade deep in his foe’s stomach, lifting him of the ground and dropping him in a heap at his feet. He turned, swung, and tore a chunk out of the shoulder of the second grimlock. The creature twisted and swung his axe in a wide, low circle, slicing across Hulgor’s thigh, through the armor and deep into his flesh. Out of the corner of his eye, Hulgor saw the wagon driver fall and the attacker turn to face him. He shifted his stance to compensate for the second attacker, trying to watch both at the same time.

At the back of the wagon, Gwennid landed a solid blow, plunging her blade deep into the creature’s soft stomach. To her dismay, it jerked back, but did not fall. The second grimlock countered and would have cut her arm clean off had she not jerked back at the last second. Still, she had a second nasty cut on her forearm, and almost dropped her sword. Knowing she wouldn’t last much longer, she jumped back and dove underneath the wagon, buying herself a few precious seconds while she considered her shrinking options.

The two grimlocks facing Hulgor launched a perfectly timed assault. He parried one attack and tried to duck out of the way of the second, but his opponent adjusted his swing and slammed his blade into the plate covering his chest. Hulgor stumbled back, dazed from the hit. His nice new armor spared him a lethal blow, but it now had an ugly ding. “I’ll be takin’ that from yer hide, ya filthy wretch,” he growled in a low voice at the grimlock.

The second grimlock lunged forward to finish him off, but didn’t anticipate how quickly his opponent could recover. Hulgor turned the attack and then drove his blade deep into the grimlock’s shoulder, nearly cutting him in two. Before the other grimlock could respond, he leapt to the side, swung, and cut his head off his shoulders.

Underneath the wagon, Gwennid easily kept the grimlocks at bay. To her left, she watched two guardsmen coming up on them from behind, swords in hand. She kept them distracted until the men attacked. One grimlock screamed and fell as the man hacked at him from behind. The other spun around with surprising speed and cut down the first guard. Gwen rolled out from underneath the wagon and slipped in behind the grimlock. Now he was the one who was outnumbered.

The grimlock feinted to one side and then swung at the second guard from the other. As the guard deflected the blow, Gwen buried her sword in the creature’s side. He dropped to his knees, and Gwen kicked the dying creature face first into the blood-soaked mud.

The grimlocks broke and fled back up the hill, but the caravan train was now in complete disarray. Several horse teams panicked during the assault, causing many of the wagons to either flip or become stuck in the soft earth on the side of the road. The fallen were strewn along the roadside, and the moaning of the wounded filled the air.

MOVE YOUR BUTTS!” the caravan master shouted to the shocked men. “Get those wagons ready! Collect the fallen, the living and the dead, and get them on the rear wagons. MOVE!
The crew sprang into action, men running back and forth with renewed vigor. The unvoiced but very real fear of the grimlocks returning for a second attack pushed them into action even more than the bellowing caravan master.

Less than an hour later, the train was once again on the move. Hulgor and Gwen, though hurt, were well enough to ride, so they were put at the front, scouting for possible ambush. The caravan master didn’t allow the train to stop until deep into the night, afraid that the grimlocks might be following them. It was a rough night for everyone. They lost five men in the initial attack, and another two by morning. Including the wounded, their numbers had been cut in half. The next morning, they buried their dead.

Fortunately, the day passed by without incident. Late in the afternoon, Hulgor spotted the first totem. In all there were at least fifty of them, lining the northern side of the road. Most were knocked over and defaced, but those in the center of the long row were still intact. They were orc totems, he could see easily enough, the face of the one-eyed orc god sat atop each pole, beneath which were various depictions of gruesomely slain men, elves and dwarves.

Behind the totems was a large hill, an offshoot of the Dragonspire Mountains. At the base of the hill were two large gates that affronted an opening at its base. One had been torn off its hinge and lay on it side. The other was still intact, but badly burned. Still plain to see in the middle of it was a crudely drawn orc-face, with the words “enter not or be crushed” written above in the orcish tongue.

He leaned over and pointed the writing out to Gwen, translating it for her. He then turned to one of the Wagoners. “What’s that all about?” he asked, pointing to the ruined gates.

“Used to be an orc tribe that lived there, years ago, but men of Endhome ran ‘em out. Was a pitched battle right at this very spot, from what I hear,” the old man replied. “Some folks say there’s still orcs livin’ deep in them caves, but I ain’t never seen one, and I’ve made this trip dozens a times.”

Hulgor looked over at Gwen, who made a hasty notation on the map they purchased back in Muffin’s Honor.

Later that night…

The two had gained new respect among the guards after their success against the grimlocks, which in turn earned them the most dangerous middle watch during the night. Their wounds, while far from healed, were at least properly bandaged, and the pain had lessened from a constant burning sensation to a low, dull ache.

They warmed themselves by the fire against the crisp night air. “I heard we’ll be out of these hills by tomorrow,” Gwennid said softly. “We should be in Endhome a couple of days after that.” Just thinking of the bustling city was enough to lift her spirits. All the adventure the bustling city promised, and more importantly, all the wealth the city boasted.

“What then?” Hulgor asked.

“I dunno, I guess we’ll hit the taverns and see if we can find work. I can’t say that I know how adventurers go about finding adventure, but it shouldn’t be hard, if what they say of the city is true, intrigue around every corner and in every dark alley and all that. We did pretty good for ourselves in Muffin’s Honor, imagine what we can do in Endhome!”

“I can imagine two little fish in a really big pond, that’s what I can imagine, Gwen.”

“Nonsense. Have you looked at yourself lately? Country boys don’t walk around in plate, Hulgor. We’ll do just fine, I’m telling you, we’re destined for big things, Hulgor. Big. Things.

Hulgor started to reply, but a strange scent caught his attention. He stopped with the words still in his mouth and sniffed the air. It smelled like…decay, he thought, and death.

Behind them, a twig snapped…

The caravan master circled the wagons each night, and the two had taken temporary refuge from the gusting wind inside the circle. Gwennid crept around one side of the wagon for a better look. Hulgor reached over, grabbed a stick from the fire, and hurled it over the wagon. It hit a nearby scrub tree, which immediately caught fire.

To her horror, Gwennid saw two zombies, rotting flesh still clinging to their creaking bones, moving toward them at a slow but determined pace. The dancing light from the fire played upon the faces of the creatures, drawing out their shadows and giving them an even more menacing appearance. Perhaps they were drawn in by the light of the campfire, or perhaps they had caught the scent of the wounded men sleeping in the wagons, but whatever the reason, they were approaching the encampment with the implacable resolve of the undead.

Hulgor leapt up, grabbed his axe, and moved between two wagons to block their approach. He could see no weapons in those putrescent hands, but the cold, dead eyes watched him with feral cunning. When they closed to within a few feet, the zombies lunged forward with an unexpected burst of speed. Hulgor sliced open the stomach of the nearest one, spilling out maggot filled innards, but the creature seemed unfazed by the mortal wound. It snarled and slammed into him. Hulgor was almost overcome by the incredible stench of the creature.

Gwennid sounded the alarm and engaged the second undead. She was stiff and sore from the battle with the grimlocks, and so did not move with her usual grace. She attacked, but the creature parried the blow with its bare hand, oblivious to the injury, and raked its claws across her chest, causing an explosion of pain to ripple across her body. She nearly wretched at the thought of those fetid claws digging into her. She fought back the urge to flee.

Next to her, Hulgor faired no better. He swung his axe a second time, sending the creature’s arm flying across the clearing, but the undead simply grabbed his axe shaft with its other hand and bit down into the unprotected flesh of his wrist. Hulgor screamed, his entire body went into convulsions, it felt like all of his muscles were cramping at once. To his horror he realized that he could not move!

Not realizing her friend’s plight, Gwennid once again sought refuge under the wagon. From the sound of the footsteps behind her, she knew that help was near. The zombie was single-minded, though, and crawled down beside the wagon after her. It snarled, bearing twisted, jagged teeth, and swiped at her with boney claws, seeking to drag her out from under the wagon. She jabbed the zombie in the face with her sword, shattering teeth, but it did no good. She swung her sword and sliced off the arm that the undead was using to balance itself, toppling it over into the mud.

Suddenly she heard Hulgor’s stifled pleas for help. She rolled out passed the flailing zombie to the other side of the wagon and stabbed the zombie from behind. At the same time, reinforcements arrived in the form of two guards. One grabbed the paralyzed, panicking Hulgor and drug him to safety while the other jammed his spear into the zombie, swung it around and pinned it to the earth. Gwennid turned and stabbed the zombie still wallowing in the mud next to the wagon again and again, until it finally stopped moving.

Munin

First Post
SJ,

Thanks again for the kind words, you don't know how encouraging they can be.

The characters were 1st level at this point. The finale of The Devil Box called for a battle against 3 standard imps and a weakened kyton, which would have been a tough fight at 1st level, even for a standard party.

For the final battle, I took out two of the imps, figuring they were out and about, but they still had a tough time with it, even with the two kobolds helping out. All's well that ends well, I suppose, but I'm left with loose ends in the form of those two imps, and I haven't decided if I'm going to bring them back into the story, or just assume that they disapeared into the countryside to work their own mischief. Any ideas would be appreciated!

We just concluded the 11th or 12th session, and they are about halfway to 4th, in case you're interested. Even using a half-xp system, they are still progressing pretty quickly!

My goal is to update once a week, on Mondays.

iLoVeKobolds

First Post
This is really awesome!
You are doing such a great job at writing! Keep up the good work!
Am I really that much of a smartass?
NOT ME! :p
Anyhoo, Keep up the good work!

Thanks again for the kind words, you don't know how encouraging they can be.
No problem, all of us SH's are in the very same boat. It's great to get a response to your writing (check out A Chronicle of Ice, Luck and Honour if you'd like to return the favour! :) )

Sounds like it would have been a tough fight. 1st level characters are built out of putty. Far to easy to kill. 4th level is where is starts to get good... looking forward to seeing these guys progress.

As for the imps... Of course!!! bring them back. you have to. players love that stuff - when something they saw happen ages ago comes back to haunt them. Or maybe that's just a personal thing. I don't know.

Once a week should be good. I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Spider J

iLoVeKobolds

First Post
Munin said:
Why don't you introduce yourself to the forum, though?

Very well...*ahem*

I am Veronica, the lucky wife of Munin (Sam)
aka Gwennid the Thief/Rogue/Scout and all around troublemaker.
Regardless of what any of you read on this SH, you should know that I am sweet, benevolent
and kind. I never talk back and I always watch out for the safety of others over my own.
Oh, yeah, I'm also a habitual liar. Not really.

Munin

First Post
Session IV, part II
entering Endhome and the Tangled Web

The next morning, Hulgor awoke burning with fever. He was so weak he could hardly move and so ended up in the rear wagon with the rest of the wounded men. Knowing full well the superstition of men, Gwennid took the rear watch to better keep an eye on her friend. Just as she suspected, guards eyed him warily, and whispered that anyone bitten by a zombie would awake the next day as one himself. She was afraid the men would simply toss him out of the wagon and let him die on the side of the road, but either because of her constant vigilance or because of his heroics the day before, the men did nothing more than make wards against evil with their hands and keep a watchful eye on the half-orc.

By midday the train passed out of the Duskmoon hills and out into gently rolling grasslands. Farmsteads, the first signs of civilization in days, began to dot the land. Two days later, about the same time that Hulgor’s fever finally broke, the caravan train reached the great iron gates of Endhome.

Endhome was built on the fertile delta where the Gaeon river fed into the Sinar ocean. Thirty-foot high stone walls protected her citizens, and were patrolled regularly by men armed with spears and crossbows. Towers, spaced at regular intervals, sported massive ballista along with the regular contingent of watchmen. At the gates, clerks took record of all goods that passed into the city and assessed a tax, which was the main income of the city. Endhome was a small city-state surrounded by much stronger nations. Its wealth and militaristic bent ensured its independence for hundreds of years.

The road leading in to Endhome was choked with traffic. It took two hours from the gates to reach the central market, where the caravan crew began unloading goods. Hulgor and Gwennid joined the line of guardsmen awaiting their pay.

“What’s this?” Hulgor grumbled when the caravan master dropped eight gold into his hand.

“That’s your pay, son. Don’t spend it all in one place.”

“That’s it? We saved yer bacon back in the hills, and all we git is a lousy eight gold?” Hulgor was incredulous.

“And for that I’m thankful, but it’s twice what the others are getting, so take your money and beat it.” The man replied bluntly.

Gwennid took Hulgor by the arm and pulled him away. She could tell by the look in his eye that the half-orc was about to swing, and that’s the last thing they needed. “C’mon, it’s not worth it, Hulgor. It got us here, didn’t it? I would hate to have faced those things alone. We need to find a place to stay, anyway.”

A few minutes later…

The pair stood in front of the Heaven’s Gate Inn. They were told that it was the pride of the city, and from the outside they couldn’t imagine a more palatial establishment. Five stories of white marble walls, crystal windows and an expertly manicured lawn dominated their view. A six-foot wall, covered in a thick growth of ivy, surrounded the entire complex. In the rear there was even a separate servant’s quarters and stables.

As they passed the front gates and walked up to the carved double-doors, an elderly steward approached. “Will you be guests at the Heaven’s Gate tonight?” he asked.

“Well,” Gwennid responded, “that depends on how much it will cost.”

“Ahem. If you have to ask, madam, perhaps you should consider one of Endhome’s less…exclusive establishments.”

Hulgor cleared his throat and folded massive arms across his thick chest. He glared down at the frail steward and narrowed his eyes.

The man glanced behind Gwennid to the large half-orc standing behind her. “I see,” stammered the steward, “well, the pricing is all-inclusive, and starts at eight gold pieces per night for our standard rooms. From there the price increases up to fifty a night for our Imperial Suite, which is currently taken. Heaven’s Gate IS the most exclusive resort in the city. We regularly host foreign dignitaries, as well as important members of Endhome society. Proper attire and conduct is expected at ALL times.” He said the last while going over their clothes with a critical eye.

“I think this will do nicely, what do you think, Hulgor?” asked Gwen.

The half-orc grunted his agreement, and much to the dislike of the steward the pair continued into the inn, followed by a small train of young attendants carrying their meager luggage behind them, while a small assembly of stable boys began tending to their horses.

Heaven’s Gate lived up to its name. Each room was assigned a waiter, who saw to the needs of the guests. Scented baths were immediately provided for the hot, dusty travelers, and when that was done, Gwen collapsed into the thick, down-filled bed. She sank into the white comforter and let out a deep sigh. This is the life, she thought.

A private dinner was held each night on the fifth floor of the inn. It was more than a simple dinner, they were informed, it was a regular gathering of the social elite of the city. It sounded like an excellent opportunity to Gwennid, who wanted to make some connections with the upper crust.

When she was young, Gwennid caught a glimpse of the liege lord of her province and his wife. She remembered the splendor of their dress, the air of dignity and authority that surrounded them, which spoke more of their position than any title. At the time, she couldn’t imagine seeing greater wealth and grace than that, but she saw it tonight. Even with the finery provided by her waiter, she felt grossly underdressed. Gwennid was sure that some of the ladies wore dresses that were worth more than her entire village and everything in it, and poor Hulgor looked like something out of a comedy in a bursting-at-the-seams suit that was much, much to small for his frame. She couldn’t possibly have felt more out of place. But, she thought, I’m here now, might as well make the best of it.

From their vantage point near the back of the room, Gwennid could make out the three most prominent players. On a raised dais in one corner sat a portly middle-aged gentleman. He had an inviting smile and a hearty laugh. In the shadow of a pillar behind him stood a grim, dangerous character who eyed everyone who approached the dais with suspicion.

Sitting in a slightly smaller table near the exact middle of the room sat a strikingly handsome man with black hair and a neatly trimmed black mustache. He had olive skin and piercing green eyes. Next to him sat an equally beautiful woman with similar features whom she assumed to be his sister. Unlike the other table, which was a flurry of activity, the pair sat alone, in quiet conversation between themselves.

On the other side of the room at another prominent table was an older gentleman with a full crown of white hair and a trimmed beard. He was a large man and had the grim look of a soldier about him, despite the fine attire. He paid little heed to the others, instead focusing on a thick steak and pint of ale.

She motioned her waiter over to her table, “I’m sorry, I’m newly arrived to Endhome,” she began, trying her best to mask a small-town accent. “Who are these gentlemen? I can tell by appearances that they are important figures.”

The waiter cleared his throat, and began by discreetly pointing to the portly man on the dais. “That would be the governor of Endhome, Ranlan Pool, currently running for re-election, the gentleman behind him is his personal bodyguard Kilgore Spink, not a fellow to be trifled with.” He pointed out a man sitting next to him with a neatly trimmed goatee and ponytail. “That, is Stylus Kant, the current headmaster of the Wizard’s Academy.”

He then turned to the couple in the center of the room. “Here we have Lurton and Amelia Gaspar. Their place among Endhome’s social elite isn’t so much secure as it is unassailable, they ARE the elite of the elite.”

“Finally, there’s Fernando Quinchino. Don’t let his appearance fool you, he is a very dangerous man. Together, they represent three of the most important factions of Endhome. The only other family of their ilk not in attendance are the Pulanti, but they have not made a public appearance in some time now.”

“Oh really?” Hulgor followed Gwennid’s lead and enunciated each word carefully. “Are they well?”

The waiter coughed softly.

Hulgor frowned and slid a gold piece across the table, which the waiter quietly pocketed.

“Well, the rumors are flying, but this I do know: none of the Pulanti clan has been seen in months, the grounds of the Pulanti estate have fallen into disrepair, many of the household servants have been dismissed or gone missing, and some have reported strange noises coming from the depths of the mansion in the middle of the night.”

“Has no one investigated?” Gwennid asked.

“To be sure, questions have been asked, but one does not investigate the Pulantis. They are the oldest, wealthiest family in the city.”

“Interesting,” said Hulgor. “What of the others?”

The waiter again coughed discreetly.

Hulgor slid over a gold piece with a growing frown; this information gathering business was getting expensive.

“As I’m sure you know,” the waiter began, “elections are coming up soon. Ranlan is backed by the powerful guilds of the middle-class, but the old money wants to put one of theirs in charge. Both the Gaspar and the Quinchinos have fronted a candidate, so there is plenty of intrigue and politicking to go around, and it will only get worse the closer we come to Election Day.”

“Sounds like an excellent opportunity for two discriminating yet capable sellswords.” Gwennid replied casually.

“Surely.”

She pressed forward, “Perhaps you know of someone who could put it in the ears of any possible employers that the aforementioned swords are looking for hire?”

“I may know of someone,” he said, looking down at the spot on the table where Hulgor had passed over his gold pieces. Hulgor groaned quietly, and slid over five more.

“As it so happens,” the waiter said as he took the gold, “I know just the person to talk to. I think you’ll find productive employment in no time at all.”

The next morning…

It didn’t take long at all for Hulgor’s investment to pay off. As the pair ate their breakfast in the lower dining room, a figure approached the table. He was well dressed, and carried himself in a professional, confident manner. “May I join you?” he asked.

“Certainly,” Hulgor replied.

The man got right to business. “It has come to my attention that the two of you are looking for employment. Is that so?” He looked the pair over as he spoke, his gaze was intense, and searching.

“Yes.” said Hulgor

“Good. My employer is very well financed, and is interested in a discreet, unattached third party to carry out some simple tasks. Secrecy and professionalism are of the utmost importance. Would you be interested?”

“May I ask who your employer is?” Gwennid asked.

“No.”

“Go on,” she replied, undaunted.

“It is in the best interest of my employer that we first determine your trustworthiness and ability. To that end, I have an offer that will test those two qualities.” He paused to sip his drink.
“There is an individual, who for reasons that are unknown to us, has taken up dwelling in the sewers west of here. I need you to contact him and deliver this message.” He handed Hulgor a scroll sealed with wax.
He continued, “Find this person, deliver the message, and return here. It’s that simple.”

“Uh, can we get a name?” Hulgor asked.

“No.”

“Well, how do we find this person if we don’t know his name?”

The man thought for a few seconds before answering, “This individual is a practicer of the forbidden arts, that should in itself provide enough information to identify him. But if not, I will also share with you that not too long ago this person ran an opium den that was operated from an abandoned sewer canal.”

“That’s not a whole lot of information,” Gwennid noted.

“Precisely. But this IS your profession, is it not? When you return, assuming you succeed, you will be given a payment of 300 gold pieces, and additional, more lucrative assignments. Do we have a concord?”

Hulgor and Gwennid looked at each other. “Yes,” they replied together.

Munin

First Post
Sorry for the delay in posting this week's session. I normally try to post on Monday, but the holiday threw me off.

Enjoy!

Remove ads