• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Beauty and the Geek

Quasqueton

First Post
Beauty and the Geek. Oh my god, what a train wreck. It's not necessarily bad as a "reality game show", but watching/listening to those guys! Oh those poor boobs of guys. I've only seen parts of a couple episodes, but everything those guys do/have to do makes me uncomfortable. And that Richard idiot -- I can fully believe he's never kissed a girl.

The one episode that I saw the most of was when they guys had to hang out in a commons area (don't know where, exactly) and get as many phone numbers (girls) as possible. Richard asked old women and even a woman who's husband walked up after he asked. One of the other geeks pretended to be gay when asking for numbers. Oh my god. I'm embarrassed for these guys even now just writing about it.

Anyone else seen this? Now my wife turns the channel to the show when she wants to see me squirm. I left the room last night because I didn't want to see the rerun of the phone-number episode.

Quasqueton

BrooklynKnight

First Post
Well, at this point Richard has kissed 2 girls. Both times in the Elimination room he's grabbed the loosing girl and planted one on her.

Me and My Girlfriend watch this show together. We find it very quaint, funny, and entertaining. I do get the feeling that Richard might be an act, i dunno, but everyone else seems to be very natrual and true.

Its not a train wreck at all, you just have to appreciate it for what it is.

Mimic

First Post
My wife and I watch this show as well, its actually very interesting watching to different social groups try to get along together. Although I think there should have been more players and a different way of "eliminating them."

As for Richard, yes its an act but he has been doing it for so long I doubt he would be able to turn it off even if he wanted to.

kingpaul

First Post
My wife wathces it, and I'll stop in and watch portions of it with her. Reality shows aren't my cup of tea.

However, I did catch the very 1st part of the 1st show, and I had some hope on the premise...trying to bridge the divide of the 2 social groups. The show is interesting, but Richard must die.

Quasqueton

First Post
Its not a train wreck at all
I miss communicated. I meant hearing and seeing these guys try the "social" tests was like seeing a train wreck. Horrible, tragic, but you can't help but look. There was/is one guy whose nose bleeds when he gets nervous. Watching those guys build up the courage to go around and ask for phone numbers, and then often get shot down mostly due to absolutely terrible "pick up lines". And most of that time they seemed completely lost. Fish out of water.

The girls dealing with math and science/history questions by comparison seems minor.

I guess it is sort of like watching surgery on TV. Interesting, informative, but I feel like I shouldn't be entertained by seeing someone's chest cracked open and their organs pulled out. <shrug>

Quasqueton

BrooklynKnight

First Post
I dunno.

I am usually entertained watching people make complete fools of themselves.

Likewise, I tend to entertain people by making a complete idiot of myself too :p.

As for Richard...I see bits of myself in him (the old myself), and I feel sort of sorry for him. The other guys on this show are making real improvements and even getting some action.

And although the girls find Richard cute, in that "awwwwwwwwwww, look at the geek" sort of way, he goes out of his way to stop people from taking himself seriously. He had multiple chances to actually take SOMETHING from the experience and he's tossing it away.

The guy who keeps sending him to the Elimination room is a real prick, and the my least favorite of the people on the show...

I also feel really sorry for the girl teamed with Richard. She is obviously more intelligent then she appears. She single handedly saved their team from being eliminated TWICE because of her answers in the room. But Richard is only gonna keep taking her in there.

I also think Rich is a fool for thinking he can steal Crystal (i think thats her name, its the hispanic chick) from the guy who hates him. I mean seriously. He's a complete moron and instead of using everything he's being given, he's just using the show to make more people laugh at him.

Overall I think its great, and I think the show does qualify as a social experiement. Bringing two groups of people together with completly diffrent values has been done before. (Mad Mad House anyone? Come to think of it, the Mansion they're in looks like its the same one as in Mad Mad House and Celebrity Fit Club).

I get a kick out of watching the girls strugle with intellectual problems, and the guys squirm with social problems.

It also helps me refelect a bit upon myself. As much as a geek I am, im nowhere near as geeky as some of them.

If I wasnt with my dear sweet Caryn, I'd apply for next season. If only to get a fat guy D&D/Starwars/Startrek/Fantasy geek on that show.

(Since when is the Dukes of Hazzard considered a geek thing?! I thought it was a jock/redneck thing....)

ruaalien2

First Post
I feel bad for Richard and Mindy (the girl that he is paired with). Most of the guys and girls have learnt from the show and the chance to interact with each other. Richard keeps on throwing that chance away, and getting them sent week after week to the Elimanation room (mainly by Chuck). Mindy has to save them time and time again. Mindy isn't as "stupid" as some of the other girls, in face she has shown that she is some what intellegent. I hate how they label her as a sorority girl but....that's a whole different issue.

Richard reminds me of a guy I went to highschool with. I can understand why he gets on Chuck's nerves, but that shouldn't be Chuck's reason to keep on sending him the the Elimantion room, but that seems to be his only reason.

For the rest of them.... Lauren (I think thats her name) got on my nerves in this weeks show. How she kept on going on how she never won a challenge and then when she finally did. If she was so good at math she wouldn't have messed up so bad in the Elimation room.

ssampier

First Post
I've seen a few parts of the show and I agree with the train wreck or more accurately, "rubber necking", where you're supposed to watch the road, you watch the accident instead.

I just don't get reality shows. Where do they find these people? How many of you would go on tv to be ridiculed or insulted? You couldn't pay me enough to go on American Idol and get snide remarks from a surly Brit....

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads