• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

BECM : Separating race and class

paladinm

First Post
According to the BECM boxes (and the RC), race and class for elves, dwarves, and halflings are one and the same. In the Gazetteers, the two began to be separated. Dwarves can be Dwarf-Clerics and halflings can become "Masters" (a druidish class). Elves can be Treekeepers (kind of a mage/druid cross). The Hollow World set allows for warrior elves (fighters). The Princess Ark articles allowed for elves to become clerics (while losing some arcane levels) or paladins (ditto).

I've come to view the base dwarf "class" as a fighter (with racial abilities); and the same with the halfling "class". I have no idea why there were never any "official" rulings on halflings as thieves. The base elf "class" is more of an elven Forester (as described in the Gazeteers).

Has anyone seen a good guide (preferably official or quasi-official) for otherwise separating race and class in BECM/RC?

MoxieFu

First Post
Basic Fantasy Role Playing is one of the many Retro-Clone games and one of the really good things about it is that it is free. It very closely models Basic/Expert D&D but it does not use the Race as Class system. You could just use the Demi-Humans from it instead of the original D&D or use the game entirely. Many people like the spell descriptions better than the originals. There are also modular extensions to the game to add new elements like Gnomes and Rangers.

Check it out here:

Basic Fantasy Role-Playing Game

MoxieFu

First Post
I forgot to add that you might end up playing BFRPG and adding back in rules from BECMI. I also wanted to add email notification.

Remove ads