• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Beef - WTC price gouging Canadians

Mighty Veil

First Post
I was reading the Tome of Battle review and saw this.

Cost: $29.95 ; C$39.95

Current dollar value has the US$ only about 12% more valuable. Printing costs are cheaper in Canada (unless printing is done in a 3rd or 2nd world country. Then it's MUCH cheaper still).

The mark up should be 10%-ish, not over 30%.

What a rip off and slap in the face. And that's my beef.

Ilium

First Post
Mighty Veil said:
I was reading the Tome of Battle review and saw this.

Cost: $29.95 ; C$39.95

Current dollar value has the US$ only about 12% more valuable. Printing costs are cheaper in Canada (unless printing is done in a 3rd or 2nd world country. Then it's MUCH cheaper still).

The mark up should be 10%-ish, not over 30%.

What a rip off and slap in the face. And that's my beef.
Yes, that's a drag. But does the retailer still have to pay the national tax..(what's it called, GST, maybe?). Plus there are costs involved in importing and so on I assume.

Gnome Quixote

First Post
What does WoTC factor into Canadian pricing? Do they adjust it with every print run based on the current exchange rate, or is it a fixed price for the life of the book, based on a nominal average, or something?

I'd be very curious to find out, as that high a markup does seem somewhat ridiculous.

Nyaricus said:
Yes, it is a bit ridiculous, but what can you do about it? Nothing, unfortunatly.

WRONG. Buy from Amazon.ca. Much cheaper than in the stores. I tell all my friends to buy from them; they can save 1/3 off the list price. It's very rare for me to buy from a book store (gaming or otherwise) anymore. Free shipping and 1/3 off the cover price is too good to pass up.

Infiniti2000

First Post
Maybe shipping? I know when I tried to ship a book to Canada, it was a PITA and expensive to boot. I gave away all my 3.0 books for free (I picked up shipping) and I will never ship to Canada again. Craziness.

That's when I realized that Canada wasn't actually the 52nd state (PR being 51). :p

pawsplay

Hero
You could always convert your money to dollars, buy an American copy, and have it shipped to Canada, paying appropriate taxes and duties. I guess there's an outside chance you could save money that way.

Nyaricus

First Post
Ogrork the Mighty said:
WRONG. Buy from Amazon.ca. Much cheaper than in the stores. I tell all my friends to buy from them; they can save 1/3 off the list price. It's very rare for me to buy from a book store (gaming or otherwise) anymore. Free shipping and 1/3 off the cover price is too good to pass up.
I was answering in the obvious framework of buying the book from a store, and not online, as the OP insinuated (sp?).

Sure, you can get books cheaper online, but there's no need to jump on my back ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads