• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Been awhile "The Outbreak"

the Jester

Legend
I'd probably completely custom build him as a monster inspired by character options; I find that it's simply too much effort to fully build a pc style character to use as a one-shot monster compared to how easy and fun it is to custom build monsters. (For me, at least.)

If you surround him with allies (minion and otherwise), you could give him an aura with something like "aura 5; a living ally that dies in the aura rises as a lvl x undead minion at the start of its next turn as a free action". That's a cool way to double your minion utility!

EDIT: To be clear, "one-shot" as in "one-shot before you have to rewrite his stat block".

Grimmjow

First Post
wow.......I just spent like 2 hours using the monster building and "ran out of space" so now cant save it.......................fail......

Grimmjow

First Post
anyway...im building the village for my players to purge. Its going to be a fishing village on a large river. Any ideas on what kind of buildings to put there and what kind of undead would fit the fishing village profile? The village is going to be small, so i don't need to many buildings.

Ryujin

Legend
A lighthouse. Every good harbour ghost story needs a lighthouse :lol:

Docks and warehouses, just off the docks. A tavern or two, also near the docks. Small houses on the hill above, preferably with "widow's walks" around the second floor. The mayor's house. The guild (union) hall, which a tavern could stand in for in a smaller village. Barrel wrights (gotta have something to store those fish in), dry dock, and net maker. A Wainwright. Church with attendant cemetery, of course.

For undead you've got ghouls/lacedons and zombies/Drowned Ones, Sodden Ghouls, ghosts.....

*EDIT* Just had a thought. You might want to check out an adventure from Dungeon # 156 called "The Last Breaths of Ashenport." Anyone who is a fan of HP Lovecraft's horror stories will immediately recognize it as being heavily based on one of his short stories. In fact I think I gave the DM fits by knowing it :lol: It's meant for 8th level PCs but it could give you some ideas, and a map ;)

Last edited:

Grimmjow

First Post
you know man, I'm looking at that adventure right now, and it looks like it could be a lot of fun to do just as it is. I could have my players be sent there to negotiate an alliance between the cities. They could be enemy cities but in the wake of the undead, Solitude hope they will ally with them. The players go to be diplomates and get caught up in the adventure. It would burn through level 8 so my players would just have two levels of the heroic tier to go. I think it would be fun. They would be getting ready for the undead battle, and then get the twist. And we can always go back to undead from there XD.

Edit - Maybe, because fort solitude is aways away from the ocean and farmers can't get out and farm, the players are trying to negotiate some sort of deal so that they can get fish from Ashenport.

Last edited:

Ryujin

Legend
And maybe that other village is trying to save itself from the undead, by allying with a power from the Far Realm, only to learn that there's more than one way to skin a human.

Remove ads