• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Been awhile "The Outbreak"

Grimmjow

First Post
Since you were getting burned out on undead, I'd throw in other enemies to make both the story more interesting and the combats.

With the undead spreading through the countryside, you could have the PCs deal with an opportunistic crime family/smuggler operation who is raising food and resource prices.

Maybe there's a death cult in the city who is trying to sabotage the city's defenses so the undead can take over.

The apocalypse could be forcing the humans to band with their historical enemy, a tribe of orcs. The PCs could have to deal with a portion of the orcs who still would rather feud with the human than work with them.

And throw any ideas like these at the PCs all at once to really bring things to a boil!

Mmhm i know i need to fit more death cults in and the thieves i need to get in there too. also, the group has a shadar-kai. the group has battle a black dragon and lost. there is a dungeon delve at level 8 for that exact set up :D no undead i there at all

Wolfgang's legendary Kingdom of the Ghouls from 2E Dungeon is my favourite undead-heavy adventure of all time. He updated it - and expanded it - with the Open Design project Empires of the Ghouls.

TL;DR - Have the undead come up from below ground.

i can incorporate that into the sewers ;)

thanks too both of you

Last edited:

Wednesday Boy

The Nerd WhoFell to Earth
Also, if your players like politics and social interactions you could have the defense of the city gridlock because the city bigwigs have differing opinions on what needs to be done. Then let the players sort it out. There's nothing like ineffective, squabbling allies to heat up an outside invasion.

Grimmjow

First Post
Also, if your players like politics and social interactions you could have the defense of the city gridlock because the city bigwigs have differing opinions on what needs to be done. Then let the players sort it out. There's nothing like ineffective, squabbling allies to heat up an outside invasion.

When Lo-Kag died a group of city "elders" voted that the adventures would gain control over the city.

Maybe after the group leaves the fort to purge the fishing village from the undead, the same people that gave them politcal power can move into the vity hall and try to take it away, claiming that the group hasnt truly helped the city out. That could lead Orisk to tell the group about the rune of endless fire. When they turn up with a rune that gives them eternal sunlight (allowing them to keep the undead at bay) they would have no choice but to leave them in command!

The Red King

First Post
Ya see i have problems making that kind of monster. what would you suggest i do to make a normal monster undead. What do i do with a skeleton. Or how do i make a zombie. I have those templates for the vampires, mummies, and all those from the dungeons master.

Hey Arctic! :D

Ya man, my plan was to have the undead attacking the main city at night and then returning to smaller towns and hiding within the buildings. and i was thinking about spreading a plauge through some of the smaller villages around the main city that hadn't been killed off already.

Thanks guys

I know 3.5 has templates for undead. My Search-Fu is not as good with 4th edition. If it doeant exsist, use the 3.5 rules and just adjust them for your campaign.

I play 3.5, but steal from every edition when I find something I like. Plus it keeps the players on their toes when things don't work like they have read. They have to use their heads in the game because reading up out of game wont always be as fruitful as they want it to be.

Grimmjow

First Post
I know 3.5 has templates for undead. My Search-Fu is not as good with 4th edition. If it doeant exsist, use the 3.5 rules and just adjust them for your campaign.

I play 3.5, but steal from every edition when I find something I like. Plus it keeps the players on their toes when things don't work like they have read. They have to use their heads in the game because reading up out of game wont always be as fruitful as they want it to be.

I dont have any editions but 4e. Is there anywhere i could find the undead template??

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
I dont have any editions but 4e. Is there anywhere i could find the undead template??

Monster creation in 4E is profoundly different to monster creation in 3.5E. Templates exist in both editions but they're not so important in 4E.

Basically, an existing monster can be made undead by giving it immunities to disease and poison, resistance to necrotic and vulnerability to radiant (this pretty much is the full list of standard undead traits in 4E). You can then give it powers to match its flavour. Those powers are easiest stolen from other undead monsters but both the first DMG and Open Grave have templates in them if you want to use those.

The Jester's threads on these boards are full of monsters that he has converted from earlier editions. I can recommend these plus I am sure he will happy to answer any questions on his creations if you have them.

Otherwise, just post here what sort of undead you want created and I am sure you will get some helpful, specific answers.

Grimmjow

First Post
You can go to www.dandwiki.com, or just google "d and d templates.

Got it. Thanks!

Monster creation in 4E is profoundly different to monster creation in 3.5E. Templates exist in both editions but they're not so important in 4E.

Basically, an existing monster can be made undead by giving it immunities to disease and poison, resistance to necrotic and vulnerability to radiant (this pretty much is the full list of standard undead traits in 4E). You can then give it powers to match its flavour. Those powers are easiest stolen from other undead monsters but both the first DMG and Open Grave have templates in them if you want to use those.

The Jester's threads on these boards are full of monsters that he has converted from earlier editions. I can recommend these plus I am sure he will happy to answer any questions on his creations if you have them.

Otherwise, just post here what sort of undead you want created and I am sure you will get some helpful, specific answers.

I guess i could just post lol. But guess what I'm looking for is what do i do a certain type of creature? if i wanna turn the "Ogre Ironclad" (MM 3 158) into a zombie how would that be different from turning him into a wraith or a skeleton??

Wednesday Boy

The Nerd WhoFell to Earth
But guess what I'm looking for is what do i do a certain type of creature? if i wanna turn the "Ogre Ironclad" (MM 3 158) into a zombie how would that be different from turning him into a wraith or a skeleton??

Just glancing at examples of zombies, wraiths, and skeletons, I'd give a zombie Zombie Weakness (Any critical hit to the zombie reduces it to 0 hit points instantly.).

I might give a skeleton Speed of the Dead (When making an opportunity attack, a skeleton gains a +2 bonus to the attack roll and deals 1d6 extra damage.) or give them nothing unique.

I might give a wraith Phasing, Insubstantial, a Fly speed, let them
Spawn Wraith (When the wraith kills a humanoid, that humanoid becomes a wraith figment at the start of this wraith’s next turn.), and give them a melee necrotic-dealing power. More likely though for an ogre wraith I'd use the regular wraith, give it reach 2, and describe it as looking like a shadowy ogre.

Grimmjow

First Post
Now that i think about it, i might as well ask this question while i have all of your attention.

When the players enter the paragon tier they will go to the shadowed land. A land of eternal darkness that use to once be there home (before traveling to Fort Solitude). This eternal darkness allows for undead to by outside at all times of the day. Here the players will meet their first vampires, death knights, litchs, and (maybe) mummies.

What I'm trying to figure out is how to have my players operate, when the undead are so powerful in the area. I mean ten levels (the paragon tier) in enemy territory is a lot harder than then keeping a fortified city out of the hands of the undead. What would you guys do. Give them a safe place or have them constantly moving around? Or something else?

Also, what are some things that will be changing in the game once the players enter the paragon tier. What is different about the paragon tier when put next to the heroic tier?

Remove ads