• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Bees!

AumShantih

First Post
A new monster I'm working on for my Planescape game. Level 9 PCs, so they'll be quite beefy bees.

Here's the basic minion. Still to come, Drone, Soldier, Swarm and Queen.

Giant Bee Worker Level 6 Minion Medium Natural Beast XP 62 Initiative +7 Senses Perception +4 HP 1; a missed attack never damages a minion. AC 20; Fortitude 18, Reflex 19, Will 16 Speed Fly 6 (hover) M Sting (Standard; at-will) + 11 vs AC; 5 damage m Defend the Hive! (Standard; encounter) The bee charges. It shifts up to its movement, and makes a basic attack with a +2 bonus. Only Stings Once. (Immediate Interrupt; daily) After a successful sting attack; +9 vs Fortitude, 5 poison damage, and slowed and 5 ongoing poison damage (save ends). If successful, the worker bee dies instantly. Alignment Unaligned
Languages Skills Acrobatics +12, Endurance +10 Str 16 (+6) Dex 18 (+7) Wis 12 (+4) Con 14 (+5) Int 10 (+3) Cha 8 (+2)

Mesh Hong

First Post
I cleaned up the stat block for you, all it took was a few presses of the enter key ;)

Giant Bee Worker Level 6 Minion
Medium Natural Beast XP 62
Initiative +7 Senses Perception +4
HP 1; a missed attack never damages a minion.
AC 20; Fortitude 18, Reflex 19, Will 16
Speed Fly 6 (hover)

M Sting (Standard; at-will)
+ 11 vs AC; 5 damage

m Defend the Hive! (Standard; encounter)
The bee charges. It shifts up to its movement, and makes a basic attack
with a +2 bonus.

Only Stings Once. (Immediate Interrupt; daily)
After a successful sting attack; +9 vs Fortitude, 5 poison damage, and
slowed and 5 ongoing poison damage (save ends). If successful, the
worker bee dies instantly.

Alignment Unaligned Languages
Skills Acrobatics +12, Endurance +10
Str 16 (+6) Dex 18 (+7) Wis 12 (+4)
Con 14 (+5) Int 10 (+3) Cha 8 (+2)

I like it, its pretty simple and I think it would work well.

I would consider making it a small creature instead of medium (small size is still very big for a bee).

The wording of "Only Stings Once" is a bit off but it is still obvious how it is intended to be used, (a creature cannot have an immediate interrupt on its own turn).

I would remove the phrase "the bee charges" from "defend the hive" as when you charge it has to be the most direct route and you are using the shift mechanic, which means it could weave about as it is approaching. I would also change the wording of "makes a basic attack" to makes a Sting attack"

Other than those small points I think this is sound, and it is nice to see a minion with a different sort of special power other than an "if missed by a melee attack" type power.

DanmarLOK

First Post
Yep, perhaps make the Only Stings Once a Secondary Attack triggered by a successful hit to avoid any rules lawyer'ing.

Under Sting attack put in something like: ,and the bee makes a secondary attack Only Stings Once against the same target.

ff6shadow

First Post
Only Stings once cannot work as written. You can't use Immediate Interrupts and Reactions on your own turn. It needs to be a free action.

Making it a secondary attack is probably better anyway.

AumShantih

First Post
Thanks! I tried them out last weekend, and they worked fairly well.
I had them come with some Soldier Bee's.
Next up - Drones, which will be controller minions.

Giant Bee Soldier Level 6 Soldier
Medium Natural Beast XP 250
Initiative +9 Senses Perception +9
Buzz of Warning aura 5; All bees gain a +1 bonus to attack rolls, damage, and defenses.

HP 71; Bloodied 35 AC 22;
Fortitude
18, Reflex 19, Will 16 Speed Fly 6 (hover)

M Sting (Standard; at-will) + 13 vs AC; 1d8+4 damage and 5 poison damage, and the target is marked.

m Defend the Hive! (Standard; recharge 456) The bee charges. It shifts up to its movement, and makes a basic attack with a +2 bonus.

m Venom Jab (Minor; at-will) +11 vs Fortitude; 1d6+3 damage and 1d6 +3 poison damage, and slowed and 5 ongoing poison damage (save ends).

Venom Overload The soldier bee deals an additional +1d6 poison damage to anyone that is poisoned.

Alignment Unaligned Languages

Skills Athletics +11

Str 17 (+6) Dex 19 (+7) Wis 12 (+4) Con 15 (+5) Int 10 (+3) Cha 8 (+2)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads