Beguiler and High Level Play

satori01

First Post
I certainly hope I have not given the impression that I do not want to hear options regarding the Beguiler. Afterall I was the one that posted about the feasability of using Shadow School spells to compensate. By all means if you have solutions throw them out there.

I object on philosophical ground, for the need of a Begulier to use Shadow Evocation and Shadow Conjuration type spells to "fake" their way to being a normal wizard, in essence becoming a near beer regular caster, almost like real beer but a little less so.

Shadowcraft Mage is nice, but again you have to be a gnome to go into the PrC. A lot of people just do not want to play small characters, so while an option, (and a nice one at that, Shadowcraft Mage Coupled with Dracolexi Prc could make for an intresting combo), it is not going to work for everyone. Also, unless it is a PrC intended for a Bard, most caster PrC are going to hurt the Beguiler in terms of skill points.

One does have to wonder, if the character is going to devote so many resources to the Shadow School of Illusion, why not play a ShadowCaster?

EyeontheMountain

First Post
I know I am wandering into house rule territory here, but what does everyone think of allowing for different advanced learning, likethe Warmage option got? I think it would be a good idea. Seems strange they did not give those options to the character classes in the same book.

Back on topic.

I agree with satori01 that making the beguiler into more of a typcial mage is not the best way to 'make him viable' or to analyze his abilities.

With massive skill points and a few good illusions, the Beguiler shows a lot of potential, especially as they seem to be able to get past most non-undead, non-plant mind immunities. For those two, they are in trouble with their spells. They may have to call on the rest of the party. What an idea! Heresy, almost.

satori01

First Post
Hey I love the Beatles and D&D is about "getting by with a little help from our friends". Question becomes when is it just needing a little help and when does the player start feeling like a boil on the behind of the rest of the party.

A clever player and a clever DM can make this class work, probably like they can make any class work, however any player chosing this class needs to be forwarned regarding the types of creatures immune to the Beguiler's spells. Tymora help the player that does not like to think outside the box with a Beguiler facing undead, or does not know the rules that well.

Hopefully the nature of the appeal of the Beguiler, will inherently select against those not suited to play it.

Remove ads