• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Behind the Times (are my core rules obsolete?)

zoggynog

First Post
I'm going to make one suggestion for sure. Go read the errata on sneak. What was released in the book initially had more holes than swiss cheese.

On second thought, forget errata, go read this forum over at WoTC:

http://community.wizards.com/go/thr...b:__Targeting_things_you_cant_see_in_DD.?pg=1

My number one gripe with the core book was how bad the sneak system was. I still think of it in it's updated form as 3e's equivalent of "grapple". In other words, overly complicated.

Last edited:

ACGalaga

First Post
I'm totally gonna but in on this conversation :)

I have a somewhat related questions to the errata that may have been answered in another thread somewhere but... Take note, I'm totally new to DM-ing and I'm not incredibly experienced with D&D, but I've played a bit in the past.

Magic Missile: Everyone loves it, but the power in the PH1 and the power in the "erratum" are very different.

We noticed this because I used the ddi character builder for making my player's wizard. At the time, I didn't notice the different. But, one of my players pointed out that the power on the card was different than the book.

For the time being we used the description in the book (2d4+Int) except he didn't roll Int vs Ref. The description on the card said it automatically hits... yeah... (kinda dumb, I know. I made mention that this will most likely change next game but I'll let it slide for the time being).

It seems much more powerful in the PH1 compared to the Update. Maybe too powerful. If I change the rule though in order to make it "more balanced", I feel like I'm taking away his favorite toy, asking him to play with his other toys a little more...

Any thoughts on this change as well as other power changes in the updates?

Last edited:

Balesir

Adventurer
Magic Missile: Everyone loves it, but the power in the PH1 and the power in the "erratum" are very different.

We noticed this because I used the ddi character builder for making my player's wizard. At the time, I didn't notice the different. But, one of my players pointed out that the power on the card was different than the book.

For the time being we used the description in the book (2d4+Int) except he didn't roll Int vs Ref. The description on the card said it automatically hits... yeah... (kinda dumb, I know. I made mention that this will most likely change next game but I'll let it slide for the time being).
Yep, MM was changed in Essentials with no very apparent reason; you will find Heroes of the Fallen Lands has the "updated" version in it.

FWIW I think both versions are fun and OK for balance (but NOT the rolled damage but automatic hit!!). My suggestion would be to let the player pick either version (but not a combination of the two).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads