• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Beholder Movement

phillipjp

First Post
I'm really confused by all the "rules" around the beholder's movement. Consider this:

Speed from stat block: 5 ft., fly 20 ft. (good)

Flyby Attack feat: When flying, the creature can take a move action (including a dive) and another partial action at any point during the move. The creature cannot take a second move action during a round when it makes a flyby attack.

Shot On The Run feat: When using the attack action with a ranged weapon, you can move both before and after the attack, provided that your total distance moved is not greater than your speed.

Eye rays description: Each of the ten small eyes can produce a magical ray once a round, even when the beholder is attacking physically or moving at full speed.

Flight description: A beholder's body is naturally bouyant. This bouyancy allows it to fly as the spell as a free action, at a speed of 20 feet.

So, after all that, exactly how far can a beholder move during a round and still attack?

a) 20 feet, and attack any time during the move
b) 40 feet (double move) and attack any time during the move
c) 40 feet (move plus free action) and attack any time during the first move
d) 60 feet (double move plus free action) and attack any time during the move
e) other?

Zenon

First Post
phillipjp said:
I'm really confused by all the "rules" around the beholder's movement. Consider this:

Speed from stat block: 5 ft., fly 20 ft. (good)

Flyby Attack feat: When flying, the creature can take a move action (including a dive) and another partial action at any point during the move. The creature cannot take a second move action during a round when it makes a flyby attack.

Shot On The Run feat: When using the attack action with a ranged weapon, you can move both before and after the attack, provided that your total distance moved is not greater than your speed.

Eye rays description: Each of the ten small eyes can produce a magical ray once a round, even when the beholder is attacking physically or moving at full speed.

Flight description: A beholder's body is naturally bouyant. This bouyancy allows it to fly as the spell as a free action, at a speed of 20 feet.

So, after all that, exactly how far can a beholder move during a round and still attack?

a) 20 feet, and attack any time during the move
b) 40 feet (double move) and attack any time during the move
c) 40 feet (move plus free action) and attack any time during the first move
d) 60 feet (double move plus free action) and attack any time during the move
e) other?

Using one of his eye rays: b) 40' (firing the ray at any point during movement - from the Shot on the Run feat)

Using his Bite attack: a) 20' (with the Bite attack from the extra partial at any time coming at any point in the move, as long as total movement doesn't exceed 20' - from the Flyby Attack feat.)

If the Beholder did not have the Flyby Attack feat, he would only be able to Bite then move up to 20', or move up to 20' then Bite. The feat lets him take the bite at any point in the move. NOTE - Flyby Attack does not negate AoO's for movement like the Spring Attack feat does.

Least that's how I think it works.

Dingleberry

First Post
I read it to mean that the beholder can either (i) move 40' or (ii) move 20' and bite at any point in the movement - and during either (i) or (ii), it can attack with as many eye rays as it wants to at any point in the movement.

boothbey

First Post
Dingleberry said:
I read it to mean that the beholder can either (i) move 40' or (ii) move 20' and bite at any point in the movement - and during either (i) or (ii), it can attack with as many eye rays as it wants to at any point in the movement.

That's how I understand it, and how I use it. I have a beholder pc in the game I run. Long story. :)

Remove ads