• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Beholders

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Particle_Man said:
And Thri-keen. It does not appear as a PC race nor as a monster in the psionic part of the SRD.

Makes me want to do a campaign using only these monsters, as well as creatures that exist on real earth (so humans and animals, basically).
And you should, because that would be a very interesting campaign. Slap on the "Monsters as PCs" side of it and you have your core races (pun intended)... with humans being the weakest of the bunch. THAT, alone, makes me want to do it as well.

Last edited:

Camris

First Post
Beholder replys

Wow, I had no idea what a can of worms I opened.

I wanted the stats because I remembered a scene from the original Pool of Radience computer game where you opened a door to a room under the villains castle and something like 7 or 13 beholders turned to look at you. It was like advancing into heavy machine gun fire. Several of them.

I never managed to beat that setup no matter how I buffed (thank god it wasn't on the main adventure path) though a friend swears he managed it.

Now I have a band of overconfident adventurers for whom this scenario would be perfect. :]

Guess I'll just have to type the stats out by hand.

Thanks!

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Yeah, I have a friend who swears he beat it as well, though he admits he cheated like hell. Best tactic was to use area-of-effect spells and target unoccupied squares; Beholder's anti-magic rays didn't work on blast radius damage. :)

Gnal

First Post
Herobizkit said:
Yeah, I have a friend who swears he beat it as well, though he admits he cheated like hell. Best tactic was to use area-of-effect spells and target unoccupied squares; Beholder's anti-magic rays didn't work on blast radius damage. :)

Man, I really loved those old gold box games!

My son and I figured out how to beat that battle WITHOUT cheating. There was a "Dust of Invisibility" that acted like "improved Invisibility" in a room close by. Use that on the party just outside the beholder room and then go in with *lots* of area affect spells. Since you never turn visible the beholders never see you and just skip their turn... When you ran out of spells, start beating on things, you still do not turn visible..

Turns out to be an easy battle

-- david

Bladesong

Explorer
Gnal said:
Man, I really loved those old gold box games!

My son and I figured out how to beat that battle WITHOUT cheating. There was a "Dust of Invisibility" that acted like "improved Invisibility" in a room close by. Use that on the party just outside the beholder room and then go in with *lots* of area affect spells. Since you never turn visible the beholders never see you and just skip their turn... When you ran out of spells, start beating on things, you still do not turn visible..

Turns out to be an easy battle

-- david

You beat me to it. Dust of Disappearance.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Nightchilde-2 said:
In 4e, the gauth will be upgraded and renamed to "Aemo."

Aemo. It's the new gauth.

They're getting a blade barrier (self only) effect, won't they? ;) And wear glasses over each eye.

Remove ads