Highlander

WBruce

Explorer
Hi, I am interested in aquiring and running the new Highlander - Cinematic Adventure by Evil Genius.
I don't own Everyday Heroes, and I don't know anything about it. How close to 5E it is?
I am familiar to D&D 5e, can I run Highlander without reading through Everyday Heroes, or do I need to read the two books to start a campaign?

How do you deal with the rule " duel one-on-one" if you have 3-6 players? I find hard to keep characters together if they need to fight one-on-one.
I intend to have them together for general missions, but when the time comes for a duel I will try to run it before or after game session so no one is sitting around doing nothing. Not sure it would work wo run multiple encounters at the same time and track everything too.

Lastly, but this is important, I have a perception, and this is just conjucture, that to kill a character in a one-on-one duel may be harder than when a beholder roll a 20 and everybody testify. Have anyone played the game and have some insight on that?

Thank you.

aco175

Legend
If I'm running around with a crew of Highlanders that I trust, we could just beat up other highlanders and then one of us gets to cut the head off- you know like magic items. They come with power boosts and everything. Just don't trust the DMNPC.

WBruce

Explorer
Well, I appreciate, but that goes against the one-on-one rule, unless you are the bad guy and don't care about the rules. There is even direct mension to that in the tv series.

Juxtapozbliss

Explorer
Hi, I am interested in aquiring and running the new Highlander - Cinematic Adventure by Evil Genius.
I don't own Everyday Heroes, and I don't know anything about it. How close to 5E it is?
I am familiar to D&D 5e, can I run Highlander without reading through Everyday Heroes, or do I need to read the two books to start a campaign?

How do you deal with the rule " duel one-on-one" if you have 3-6 players? I find hard to keep characters together if they need to fight one-on-one.
I intend to have them together for general missions, but when the time comes for a duel I will try to run it before or after game session so no one is sitting around doing nothing. Not sure it would work wo run multiple encounters at the same time and track everything too.

Lastly, but this is important, I have a perception, and this is just conjucture, that to kill a character in a one-on-one duel may be harder than when a beholder roll a 20 and everybody testify. Have anyone played the game and have some insight on that?

Thank you.
I have the full Everyday Heroes rules and all the Cinematic Adventures, including Highlander. You will need both the core rules and the Cinematic Adventure to run Highlander. Think of it like a module, it's the adventure plus additional rules to make it specific to the Highlander universe. The cinematic adventure explains all the duel one-on-one system, which is an add on system to the core rules. It's well explained and feels accurate to the Highlander universe. I have not run it so I can't tell you how difficult it is, but i thought the duel rules were pretty cool.

WBruce

Explorer
I have the full Everyday Heroes rules and all the Cinematic Adventures, including Highlander. You will need both the core rules and the Cinematic Adventure to run Highlander. Think of it like a module, it's the adventure plus additional rules to make it specific to the Highlander universe. The cinematic adventure explains all the duel one-on-one system, which is an add on system to the core rules. It's well explained and feels accurate to the Highlander universe. I have not run it so I can't tell you how difficult it is, but i thought the duel rules were pretty cool.
Oh, nice! Thanks for your input. I will try to find a way to get my hands on it. Seems interesting that they created a duel rule for 5e, wonder if it can be used on more classical 5e adventures.
Is there any adventure that comes with the Highlander Book?
Thanks again.

Juxtapozbliss

Explorer
Oh, nice! Thanks for your input. I will try to find a way to get my hands on it. Seems interesting that they created a duel rule for 5e, wonder if it can be used on more classical 5e adventures.
Is there any adventure that comes with the Highlander Book?
Thanks again.
Half of the book is the new rules and half is an adventure. That's pretty much how they have done all the cinematic adventures.

I should warn you though, that unfortunately there is now a tremendous amount of controversy around Evil Genius Games, and I can't in good conscious recommend them any longer. Which pains me to say since I supported the Kickstarter so extensively. See here: https://www.enworld.org/threads/the-rise-and-fall-of-evil-genius-games.702617/

Weiley31

Legend
Would you be able to to explain something with the Duel rules in regards towards operating it correctly?

I get that the grey boxes represent the PC's Dueling Strategy and yellow boxes represent the Opponent's Strategy. And that the two tone grey/yellow boxes represent both Duelists using the same Strategy against each other and comparing who has the highest Ability Score for that strategy. (STR/STR, DEX/DEX, etc, etc)

My question is, what do the white boxes and the full colored boxes represent in the Duel chart?

Does the white box mean it is the same Ability score your both comparing to see which is higher? Like both opponents are comparing their CHA scores if the dueling strategy is STR(PC) vs DEX(Opponent)?

So does that mean if in a Duel, if the PC chooses STR(grey box)and their Opponent chose CHA(yellow box), the PC needs to have a higher STR score compared to the Opponent's CHA? score?

Juxtapozbliss

Explorer
Would you be able to to explain something with the Duel rules in regards towards operating it correctly?

I get that the grey boxes represent the PC's Dueling Strategy and yellow boxes represent the Opponent's Strategy. And that the two tone grey/yellow boxes represent both Duelists using the same Strategy against each other and comparing who has the highest Ability Score for that strategy. (STR/STR, DEX/DEX, etc, etc)

My question is, what do the white boxes and the full colored boxes represent in the Duel chart?

Does the white box mean it is the same Ability score your both comparing to see which is higher? Like both opponents are comparing their CHA scores if the dueling strategy is STR(PC) vs DEX(Opponent)?

So does that mean if in a Duel, if the PC chooses STR(grey box)and their Opponent chose CHA(yellow box), the PC needs to have a higher STR score compared to the Opponent's CHA? score?

No, the attribute in the box is the one you compare. So if the PC chooses STR and the Enemy choose CHA, the resulting box says STR so the one with the higher STR gets the Edge that round.

Remove ads