• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

BENEATH the LUNAR SPECULUM

Tom Cashel

First Post
The Seneschal replies, "The moonbeam portal is the only way in or out of this Darkcrypt. That tunnel," he points, "used to lead to the surface, but it is long-collapsed.

"As for where we are in relation to the temple itself...the moon bracers do not have power enough to span that gap."

Bronn Spellforger

First Post
Seneschal: Thank you for your help. By the way, do you know when your goddess next shine full in the sky? And do you happen to know where we can find Moradin's Fane?

If what the Seneschal says is true, this portal is the only way in or out, and should allow us to travel back and forth.

But if not, I say we wait a mere 10-12 seconds before following after whomever goes through. I don't want to take any chances.

But after this challenge, what is our next step? To Moradin's fane? Do we want to try and enlist the goblins to fight the troglodytes? Maybe instead of "enlisting" them we can "fool" them into fighting the trogs.

I don't know... I can't help thinking that we're missing something.

Tom Cashel

First Post
Seneschal: "Selune was full just two days ago. Her face is still quite bright, though.

"If I remember correctly, Moradin's Fane lies beneath the Hall of King Cindarm. It was under Cindarm's rule that many of Aerunedar's fabled weapons were forged. His Hall lies to the east of here, not far from the bridge and the gatehouse."

[OOC: Everybody thank Dave for his awesome campaign journal. The last episode is now a real story and not a cop-out! :)]

Van Dyksun

First Post
Now we're getting somewhere. Good questions, Bronn.

QUESTION: What's the good of sending a scout if we don't wait to find out what the scout has to say?

OOC: Cool entry, Dave. I think I've got a much better understanding for your character after that!

Bronn Spellforger

First Post
Wait a minute... I just remembered: doesn't Sieta have a potion of clairvoiance/clairaudiance? If she drinks that, we should be able to discern what's going on out there without being in any danger. The problem is, we've got to choose between seeing and hearing them. Can anyone read lips?

And another thing... we're running low on supplies (e.g., food, greek fire, oil, torches, spikes, rope, spell components, etc). I think we should search the bodies of these fools who tried to test the moon goodess's power. We might find some items we need. I can't imagine anyone has touched these bodies since they fell here.

Hnaef (quietly) -- I've heard you say more than once you wish to live beyond the earth's depths. I think you may want to use this (hands over the daylight coin). Try and get used to its brightness... it will help you adjust to the sun above. In time, you will learn to enjoy it. I can cast the spell for you again if you need it. Thanks again for your help. You fought well today.

Last edited:

Tom Cashel

First Post
Hnaef: "Thanks, Spellforger. I will try to grow accustomed to the terrible wilting light of the...'sun'. I'm not sure if I will ever enjoy it."

The dead bodies are mostly goblins, serpent creatures, etc. And they've all been moldering here for quite a long time. Not much in the way of supplies. Certainly no rations. All the things you mentioned have rotted or spoiled or just gotten old, except spikes. You manage to find three rusted ones.

Van Dyksun

First Post
Is the moonbeam exit/entrance right next to each other?

Saeita just needs to step out, look around, and pop right back in for one scouting trip. If there's no identifiable problem, she should then step out, spend about a minute looking around spots that might be enemies hiding, then come back.

So, the first scout is to see if they've got patience, the second to see if there's a trap waiting for us if we get too confidant.

Tom Cashel

First Post
Van Dyksun said:
Is the moonbeam exit/entrance right next to each other?

Not sure what you mean by that...the moonbeam is a portal. One side is in the cavern where you're camped, the other is in the Lunar Speculum. The exit and entrance are the same thing. Hope that's clear.

Bronn Spellforger

First Post
Van -- Let's use the potion of clarivoyaince that Sieta has. Then we can see what's up there without putting anyone in danger. Can you read lips, Van?

Seneschal -- will you come with us? To be honest, there's nothing left here for you to guard. We could use your help in the war against the Sons of the Coil.

I still would like to discuss our long-term tactics. Are we going to enlist some aid for the upcoming battle? The mushroom men could make good allies in this struggle, as might the goblins.

Tom Cashel

First Post
The Seneschal: "My soul is bound to this place, just as the souls of the all the rest are bound. I can aid the living in my own way, but it is beyond my ken to effect any real changes in your world.

"Remember, though, that the Myconids are a peaceful and contemplative race. They will not be willing or able to aid you in warfare."

Last edited:

Remove ads