• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best 3.5 monster books?

Aus_Snow

First Post
Tome of Horrors, revised
Denizens of Avadnu
Creature Collection, revised
Bane Ledger, volumes I and II
Minions v3.5

Also, although neither is technically a book of monsters, Advanced Bestiary and/or Book of Templates (deluxe edition) are/is awesome.

Some of that stuff is not very balanced, if that matters. . .

(adding as I recall a few more)

Last edited:

Hstio

First Post
Very system specific, but I thought Monsternomicon 2 was outstanding. The layout, stories, and art were superb.

Hstio

Gilladian

Adventurer
I have, and frequently use, both the Creature Collection and the Tome of Horrors (neither are revised, but I do have errata). I like them both about equally, but there are good and bad in them.

I almost never use the advanced bestiary. Templates are nice, but they're also a pain to apply. I find it easier to find a monster that is already close to what I want and maybe just tweak it a bit.

Ahnehnois

First Post
I learned D&D from the 3.0 Monster Manual; haven't seen that beat.

My next favotite MM is MM3; which has the best monster selection, mechanics, and layout of any of them. After that MMV is creative but has a lot fewer monsters, more wasted space, and less classic fantasy types.

Almost the entire specific monster line is fantastic (LM, Draconomicon, FC1&2, Lords of Madness). The one I use most is LM, because you can never have too many undead.

The environment books also have great monster sections.

Tome of Horrors (Revised) is the best 3rd part monster book I have, for sheer breadth of selection.

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
Tome of Horrors Revised (Necromancer) - lots of converted Open monsters from the 1e AD&D Fiend Folio, MMII, MMI, and older DRAGON Magazine articles.
Advanced Bestiary (Green Ronin) - excellent template collection.
Book of Templates Deluxe Edition (Silverthorne Publishing) - another excellent collection of templates.
Monster Geographica Series (Expeditious Retreat) - monsters collected from multiple OGL sources in volumes organized by terrain type. A great resource, but sadly no interior artwork monster depictions.
Book of Unremitting Horror (Pelgrane Press) - more for d20 Modern or Dark•Matter style games, but well designed and presented with excellent illustrations. A GUMSHOE (Trail of Cthulhu and Esoterrorists rules set) version exists now too.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads