• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What Are Your Favorite TTRPG Genres

Favorite TTRPG Genres

• Classic/Dungeon Fantasy

Votes: 36 60.0%
  • Epic/High Fantasy

Votes: 28 46.7%
  • Grim/Dark Fantasy

Votes: 29 48.3%
  • Heroic/S&S Fantasy

Votes: 29 48.3%
  • Hard Sci-Fi

Votes: 23 38.3%
  • Cyberpunk

Votes: 19 31.7%
  • Space Opera

Votes: 31 51.7%
  • Bio/Gene Punk

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Steampunk

Votes: 12 20.0%
  • Dieselpunk

Votes: 7 11.7%
  • Mecha with or whout kaiju

Votes: 8 13.3%
  • Space Fantasy

Votes: 16 26.7%
  • Science Fantasy

Votes: 14 23.3%
  • Post Apocalyptic (realistic)

• Post Apocalyptic (futuristic)

Votes: 11 18.3%
  • Post Apocalyptic (fantastical)

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Post Apocalyptic (dying earth/far future)

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Supers, Golden Age

• Supers, Silver Age

• Supers, Iron Age

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • Supers, Modern/nuSilver Age

Votes: 18 30.0%
  • Supers, Deconstruction

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • Supers, Futuristic

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Supers, Fantasy

Votes: 3 5.0%
  • Pulp, Action

Votes: 21 35.0%
  • Pulp, Noir

Votes: 14 23.3%
  • Pulp, Horror

• Lovecraftian Horror

Votes: 21 35.0%
  • Gothic Horror

Votes: 16 26.7%
  • Slasher Horror

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Supernatural Horror

• Psychological Horror

• Urban Fantasy

Votes: 26 43.3%
  • Cozy/Casual

• Romance

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Erotica

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Slice of Life

• Other/Something I forgot

• Added: Comedy

• Added: Crime

• Added: Supers, Street Level

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Added: Historical Fantasy

• Espionage

• Old West

• Added: Retro Sci-Fi

I used to run only fantasy. I’ve made a conscious effort to expand what I run/am comfortable dragging my kicking and screaming players along with me.

Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn’t.

kronovan

Adventurer
Historical Fantasy -eras of Earth's history retold with fantastical elements- is my favorite genre. There's many unique, Basic Roleplaying, GURPS and Savage Worlds settings that come under that subgenre, like Pendragon, Mythical Iceland, Mythical Britain, Weird Wars Rome, etc. However that subgenre is missing from the choices.
The Supers subgenre that holds the most interest to me is one in which the protagonists/PCs are lower powered, street level heroes. I'm not sure which of those listed Supers subgenres that would come under - Iron Age maybe?

I've never though of Heroic Fantasy as being the same as Sword & Sorcery. To me Heroic is more akin to Epic and High fantasy. For me S&S is too much it's own distinct flavor, to be lumped in with anouther subgenre. Admittedly, my concept of S&S is much more colored by the early pulps like Conan of Cimmeria, Lankhmar and Jirel of Joirey, than those written during and since the 1960s revival.

Last edited:

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Historical Fantasy -eras of Earth's history retold with fantastical elements- is my favorite genre. There's many unique, Basic Roleplaying, GURPS and Savage Worlds settings that come under that subgenre, like Pendragon, Mythical Iceland, Mythical Britain, Weird Wars Rome, etc. However that subgenre is missing from the choices.
I included that in my vote for heroic fantasy, from dinosaur fighting cavemen right up to 16th century barbary pirates.
But yeah these categories need a bit more definition and have lots of potential overlaps.

The Supers subgenre that holds the most interest to me is one in which the protagonists/PCs are lower powered, street level heroes. I'm not sure which of those listed Supers subgenres that would come under - Iron Age maybe?
Given the options we've currently got I think "street level" supers could (and did) appear in any or all of them. The categories might be more usefully defined by power level and focus (gritty realism, gonzo superheroics, cosmic, etc.) than by era, given how much disagreement there is about the definitions of some of those.

Argyle King

Legend
I'm not sure into what category some of the games I've enjoyed the most would fall.

What would something loosely based on GTA be considered? A few years ago, my usual played the part of gang members, fighting for turf against other groups.

I like street-level Supers. I'm unsure what age that would be.

I also enjoy post-apocalyptic settings blended with other genres.

Reynard

Legend
Looking at the results as of this post, I am only really surprised by Urban Fantasy. Other than WoD, it doesn't seem to be a particularly well supported genre in TTRPGs. Dreseden is essentially defunct, isn't it? Laundry Files is more Lovecraftian horror, no?

Remove ads