• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best 5th party member?

Best 5th party member?

• Barbarian

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • Bard

Votes: 62 38.5%
  • Druid

Votes: 33 20.5%
  • Monk

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • Paladin

Votes: 35 21.7%
  • Sorcerer

Votes: 9 5.6%

PA

First Post
Ogre Mage said:
Given a standard 4 person party composed of a fighter, cleric, rogue and wizard, which class do you think generally makes for the best "5th PC" addition to the group? Feel free to explain why you think so.

Another Cleric. They can fight decently, cast spells often better than a Wizard, heal the party, etc.

JayOmega

First Post
I voted "Druid," because, like several others have mentioned, the correct answer is "another cleric." In general, I like parties built this way: Healer, Warrior, Arcanist, Skill-user, Healer, Warrior, Warrior, Arcanist, Skill-user, H, W, A, S, H, W, A, H, W, A, H, W, A, etc. So a six-person party should be something like Cleric, Fighter, Wizard, Rogue, Cleric/Fighter, Druid/Fighter... or maybe Druid, Barbarian, Bard, Ranger, Fighter/Cleric, Mystic Theurge.

I believe Skill-users (Rogues & Rangers, maybe Bards) aren't as important to have in numbers, because any class can max out one or two of their skills to pick up the slack in a Skill-user-light party, and be just as good as a Skill-user class. A medium-BAB class can't replace a warrior as easily, and no class can replace a spellcaster without dumping a lot of resources into magic items. Of course, the core of the party I'm DM'ing right now is three rogues. :rolleyes:

Rashak Mani

First Post
You should have put Ranger there !!

I voted Paladin... but a Ranger would have been better. One fighter type is never enough. So a Ranger for tracking and fighting or a Paladin for "being good" and fighting should be the 5th member. Magic eventually runs out... and you will need the extra muscle.

Djeta Thernadier

First Post
I would say druid, paladin or bard. They get healing spells. You can always use an extra healer. The rest depends more on your setting and type of play. Are you more role-play or roll-play? Are you in a city setting or always out in the wilderness? If you fall somewhere in between I'd say I think druid all around adds the most benefits to a group, as pointed out in many of the other responses here.

TracerBullet42

First Post
Well, I'll agree with many of the above posters that a cleric is always helpful. It's the wonderful class that nobody wants to play! Personally, I voted for Bard because they are adept at so many different things, and have flair. And I'm not talking about buttons on a vest.

4 months ago, I never would have said this, but Bards rule! I'm playing a rogue/bard who happens to be a very good cook as well. And when you provide trap detection, entertainment, and food for the party, you'd better believe that they'll protect you!

And those +1's add up. Here here for the bards!

Emiricol

Definitely the bard. He comes into his own with 5+ total PCs in the party. And I mean come on, is there anything the bard can't do? Besides be stupid enough to go toe to toe with the baddies that fighters do... much better to stand off and sneer at it convincingly.

Morte

Explorer
Another cleric.

They can fight adequately, cast very adequately, and having a second serious healer does wonders for survivability. Two clerics means you can pick up their rather useful class skills (knowledge, social) with their not so generous skill points.

Oh, and having two clerics of differing persuasions can give the party an interesting dynamic.

Arnwyn

First Post
Cleric, definitely another cleric.

I voted for paladin (fight, heal, cure!), but I also agree that the bard is a great 5th member.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads