• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best 6th level Spells

fujaiwei

First Post
Hi everyone, this is my first post, so let me know if this is in the wrong spot, or if I can find a similar thread somewhere.

I've been playing DnD now for about a year, since I stopped last in the 6th grade. :) Point is, I'm still learning the spells in the PHB.

Question:
What four 6th level spells from different schools would you choose upon reaching 11th level, only selecting from the PHB? I'm playing a wizard who is going for a balanced approach, later to be Arch Mage. FYI, I have Spell Focus: Evocation and Enchantment. I was thinking:

Disintegrate
Permanent Image
Chain Lightning
Dispel Magic, Greater

Last edited:

nhl_1997

First Post
Like all spell selections, it completely depends on the campaign environment and what you would like your character to do. With that in mind....

Assuming your character has used Dispel Magic fairly frequently, then Greater Dispel Magic is almost a must since Dispel Magic will not have much success against spells cast by "tougher" opponents.

Disintegrate is an excellent all-around spell. However, if you only want it for combat purposes, then it might not be a good choice (only 5d6 damage on a successful fort save.)

Given that you have spell focus enchantment, you might want to consider mass suggestion.

If you're interested in a bit of self-help or party-member help, Greater Heroism can work wonders.

Herpes Cineplex

First Post
Those are pretty good choices, though my personal tastes would tell me to ditch Permanent Image in favor of something else. Almost anything else, in fact. That might just be me, though; I find that it's too much of a headache for the few benefits it's capable of providing. (Also, I don't tend to have much faith that a GM will deal with it according to my expectations. There are some spells that you and your GM really need to be thinking about the same way if you expect them to be any use at all, and illusion spells are the worst of the bunch when it comes to that.)

A 6th-level Enchantment like Mass Suggestion would be a better pick, I think.

--
especially since it will actually make your spell focus do something for you
ryan

The Souljourner

First Post
That's a pretty good list... I'd look into Analyze Dweomer and Contingency, too. Mass suggestion is cool, but dependant on the type of campaign you're in, and your DM. It can rock, or it can suck.

-The Souljourner

Tessarael

Explorer
I second Greater Heroism. 20 temporary HP, +4 to attacks/saves/skill checks, immunity to fear, lasts for 1 min/level ... Keeping your friends alive is a very good idea, and Greater Heroism is a good buff at 6th level for this. Mass Bear's Endurance is another good option.

Inconsequenti-AL

Breaks Games
Instead of Chain Lightning I'd look closely at Freezing Sphere...

Can use as a 10' burst spell, can freeze a large body of water or use it as a 1 target no save touch attack (with true strike!). I think it's versatility makes it more useful than chain lightning.

IMO, both of those are not all that impressive at the moment... Need more levels to pump the damage up. If you have the feat, empowered lightning bolts and fireballs probably offer better 'bang' for your spell slot... Lowered save DCs and globes of invulnerability aside!

Planar Binding can be useful, if a bit expensive.

Transformation is a possible, although I think Greater Heroism on the whole party is likely to offer much better results in a combat situation.

Thanee

First Post
Greater Dispel Magic is only marginally better than Dispel Magic at that level. You can get that next level still.

Permanent Image is nice, but Persistent Image (5th level) is good enough.

Chain Lightning is not really that much better than Fireball, it's even worse in some ways, certainly no match for an empowered or maximized Fireball.

I'd get the following three for sure:

Analyze Dweomer
Contingency
Mordenkainen's Lucubration

And then add one of these:

Planar Binding
Summon Monster VI
True Seeing
Mass Suggestion
Disintegrate

Bye
Thanee

Thanee

First Post
Inconsequenti-AL said:
..., although I think Greater Heroism on the whole party is likely to offer much better results in a combat situation.
On the whole party? ;)

I actually think Heroism is simply better in most situations than Greater Heroism, because of the higher duration.

Bye
Thanee

nhl_1997

First Post
Thanee said:
Greater Dispel Magic is only marginally better than Dispel Magic at that level. You can get that next level still.

True, greater dispel magic is only marginal at this point (specifically 5% or 10% better). However, unless you have other methods to obtain the spell, then I'd still recommend taking it at either 11th or 12th level. Would you really want to pick it up later when you have access to higher level spells?

Dispel magic will become progressively worse as encounter levels increase, so if you've been using dispel magic fairly frequentely in the past, greater dispel magic is an excellent choice.

Shallown

First Post
I like Greater heroism just for the Skill bonuses. It is actually useful for several different party members. The rogue and wizard can benefit from skill bonuses. The fighter/clerics from the combat bonuses and the save bonuses are great for everyone. Its one of the higher level buff spells useful for everyone. The temp Htps are nice as well. For your self or someone else.

Illusions are very GM dependent if you and the GM see eye to eye on how they should work go for it.

Greater dispel is good but not worth it yet at 11th. that is one worth getting in about 2 levels or so. Look for a scroll of one when you can to put in your spell book.

This is also getting to the level that summoned creatures are worth considering for what they can bring to situations outside just fights. They are starting to get spell like abilities and skills thatyou may need.

Chain lightning is good for the amount of control in targetting it gives you. I would probable change the energy type (with the GM's okay) to something else like acid or cold, just to be different. (sonic is cheesy still) Chain Acid bolt sounds sort of cool.

Mass bear's endurance is usefull for that emergency healing ability. Someone is hurting or going down whip it out to save them with some extar hit points. The group I use to run would on occasion use it to keep some party members alive and functioning when healing was too far away.

Just a few ideas.

later

Remove ads