• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best Adventures of All Time

Vymair

First Post
Old School - When a Star Falls. Interesting story plus neat encounters.

Modern - Forge of Fury. Great location that feels classic. Easy to adapt and modify. I only had one complaint about the dungeon.

Teflon Billy

Explorer
Secret of Bone Hill
Nemoren's Vault
Maze of Screaming Silence
Aerie of the Crow God
Vault of Larin-Karr
Maiden Voyage

those are my winners

tetsujin28 said:
Dwellers of the Forbidden City
The Lost City

I reread those modules constantly.

I love them, almost as much as I love:

The Land Beyond the Magic Mirror
Return to the Tomb of Horrors
White Plume Mountain
Dwellers of the Forbidden City
The Lost City

Hmm... it appears I love them exactly as much. :p

Patrick Y.

Ralts Bloodthorne

First Post
White Plume Mountian.
G1-DW1 (The individual modules)
X1
B1-3 make for good starters, love those.
Tomb of Horrors
The original Ravenloft Module (talk about a deathtrap! Absolutely lovely)

BJP

First Post
Similar things for me:

I6 : Ravenloft
A4 : Can't remember the exact name, it's the last of the slaver series, where the players have to escape from the 'Earth Dragon' - I actually like the whole series, even though it's a bit of a railroad fest.
The U series; mostly U1, as it's a superb module for new players; U2 does have the flaw (as pointed out above) that it can be finished ridiculously quickly (and was, when I DM'd it many years ago), and U3 was just brutal at the suggested levels - especially as there wasn't that much xp in U1, and ostensibly none in U2 if it went right

Recently though my love for d2 has known no limit for the Worlds Largest Dungeon. I know not everyone will like it, but the way that each area is set-up, with it's factions and plots, reminds me of The Vault of the Drow - it's just a great adventure for those who want to pick it up and play, or whether you want to customise it to your every whim (which is nice).

Jim.

Jupp

Explorer
S1

Just because this adventure seems to be the most controversial thing in the known universe. And every discussion about S1 ends in the philosophical debate of old-school vs. the new way of gaming. I dont think there are too many other adventure that manage to do that :). And aside from that it is one heck of a cool adventure. It could also be the adventure that is mentioned the most in RPG forums.

On a more serious note I would vote for I3-5 Desert of Desolation because it is one of the best large campaigns I have seen and I have incredibly positive memories of it.

Another one I would recommend to everyone is Against the Cult of the Reptile God. It has that cool mix of horror, suspense and crime story. A very nice adventure.

Of the more recent adventures..I do not know...ask again in 10 years or so. This stuff is still too new to already nominate it for a "Best Adventure or all Time" ranking. Perhaps then I would nominate things like Lost City of Barakus, Fane of the Witch King, Freeport or others. But they are still too new to judge them.

VirgilCaine

First Post
Akrasia said:
I am not sure what you are asking. UK4 and B10 are two separate modules, not two versions of the same module.

The online version and the print version--for example, it would be annoying to have to cut out and paste all those Tarokka cards onto playing cards for the Ravenloft .pdf.

:uhoh:

Remove ads