• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best Animal Companion Choice

Scion

First Post
Lord Pendragon said:
I believe you are clearly misinterpreting this. You can choose a more powerful companion from alternate lists. This does not reduce your effective druid level in any way, you merely compare your effective druid level to the level required by the category on the list. Your effective druid level never changes. The feat is useful for multiclassed druids, allowing their companions to progress better. It's not useful for a full druid at all. His effective druid level is already equal to his HD, and choosing an animal companion from a stronger list doesn't reduce it.

animal companion stuff

You can interpret it differently of course, but it looks pretty clear to me ;)

Maybe they didnt 'mean' it that way, but ::shrugs::

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Lord Pendragon said:
This does not reduce your effective druid level in any way, you merely compare your effective druid level to the level required by the category on the list.

"A druid of sufficiently high level can select her animal companion from one of the following lists, applying the indicated adjustment to the druid’s level (in parentheses) for purposes of determining the companion’s characteristics and special abilities."

If I apply a -3 adjustment to my druid level for purposes of determining the companion's characteristics and special abilities, and I apply a +3 adjustment to my effective druid level for purpose of determining the companion's characteristics and special abilities, is my effective druid level for determining the companion's characteristics and special abilities not equal to my druid level, and therefore not in excess of my hit dice?

-Hyp.

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Scion said:
animal companion stuff

You can interpret it differently of course, but it looks pretty clear to me ;)

Maybe they didnt 'mean' it that way, but ::shrugs::
Hrm. Reading the arguments in your link has made me uncertain. My gut still tells me that it wasn't meant to allow what you're suggesting, but rather to allow multiclass druids' companions to keep up with their master's challenges. But as we all know, there's a difference between what's meant and what's said.

If it ever comes up in my game, I may have to "clarify"/House Rule things my way, then, just to make sure. ;)

In any case, if your DM rules Natural Bond to allow a full druid to lose nothing by taking a companion one step higher, I agree with you. It'd be a nice way to get a boost. :)

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
"A druid of sufficiently high level can select her animal companion from one of the following lists, applying the indicated adjustment to the druid’s level (in parentheses) for purposes of determining the companion’s characteristics and special abilities."

If I apply a -3 adjustment to my druid level for purposes of determining the companion's characteristics and special abilities, and I apply a +3 adjustment to my effective druid level for purpose of determining the companion's characteristics and special abilities, is my effective druid level for determining the companion's characteristics and special abilities not equal to my druid level, and therefore not in excess of my hit dice?
I've read your other thread, Hyp, and I can see your logic. But personally I believe the feat is meant to be applied before anything else. i.e. You're a druid2/rogue2, you apply Natural Bond before doing anything else, and you are then effectively a druid4 for purposes of your animal companion. Now go to the list as usual. A druid4 applies Natural Bond, and is effectively a druid 4 for purposes of his animal companion. Then both PCs pick their companion and determine it's abilities, as usual.

You are placing the +4 (up to HD) in the middle of the animal companion selection process, which certainly does have the effect you outline. I simply don't believe it belongs there, and am not aware of any text that proves it does, so I rule it the other way.

Scion

First Post
I've always found the 'order' arguement strange. Mainly because I havent seen much of an ordered process for anything else. It seems like everything that can apply, does apply, everytime it is checked for.

Much like if I have practiced spellcaster and get a negative level (so that my effective level decreases) do I get the benefit from the feat if there was some 'left over' bonus I couldnt use before? If not why not? I would certainly allow it ;)

I would have no problem with a dm saying, 'no, I dont think so'. After all, it can be an incredibly powerful option.

combine this with a certain prc and you are looking at a major animal companion. I doubt that either by itself would be horrible, maybe a little tougher than a dm wants, but both together? ouch!

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Scion said:
I've always found the 'order' arguement strange. Mainly because I havent seen much of an ordered process for anything else. It seems like everything that can apply, does apply, everytime it is checked for.

Much like if I have practiced spellcaster and get a negative level (so that my effective level decreases) do I get the benefit from the feat if there was some 'left over' bonus I couldnt use before? If not why not? I would certainly allow it ;)
Not, because your hit die have been reduced by one as well. rog2/wiz2 (effective wiz 4) loses a rog level, he's treated as a wiz3. Loses a wiz level, he's treated as a wiz3. No way to get himself back up to 4, because his hit dice have also been reduced.
I would have no problem with a dm saying, 'no, I dont think so'. After all, it can be an incredibly powerful option.

combine this with a certain prc and you are looking at a major animal companion. I doubt that either by itself would be horrible, maybe a little tougher than a dm wants, but both together? ouch!
On the other side, I wouldn't have a problem with a DM ruling it your and Hyp's way. I can see the logic. I just don't agree with it, and since there's nothing (AFAIK) proving it one way or another, I go with my gut when I'm the man behind the screen. :)

Klaus

First Post
Unless you're attached to the riding dog for roleplaying reasons, trade it for a regular wolf, as others mentioned. That 50ft. of movement is nothing to sneeze at.

A halfling druid with Mounted Combat and Mounted Archery riding a wolf and tossing Produce Flame is a mighty image indeed! Kinda like this one:

halfling_rider.jpg

:D

Scion

First Post
Lord Pendragon said:
Not, because your hit die have been reduced by one as well. rog2/wiz2 (effective wiz 4) loses a rog level, he's treated as a wiz3. Loses a wiz level, he's treated as a wiz3. No way to get himself back up to 4, because his hit dice have also been reduced.

Umm..

srd said:
–1 effective level (whenever the creature’s level is used in a die roll or calculation, reduce it by one for each negative level).

A '-1 effective level' does not a hd lost make!

he still has the same amount of hd, but his 'effective level' is lower. Seems like a perfect example of exactly the same thing happening but with a different mechanic ;)

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Ah. I was thinking permanent level loss, not temporary negative levels. My bad.

*shrug* As I said, I can see and respect your logic. But I think mine makes perfect sense as well. Add +4 up to your hit die to your druid level before anything else. Then figure out your animal companion. Short, simple, sweet, and IMO balanced. ;)

edit: Dang Klaus, nice pic!

Remove ads