• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best 'Back to the Dungeon' adventure(s)?

ShaneHenry

First Post
I'm looking to start a new dungeoneering campaign (with 1st-level characters), and I would like to hear experienced DMs' recommendations for dungeon-based adventures. Basically, I just want high-quality dungeons and not much else. No cities or wilderness, nor intricate setting-specific tripe to weigh the campaign down (I just have time for one 3-4 hour session per week). Fast Forward's upcoming 'Dungeon World' setting sounds like what I'm looking for...except for the fact that I have doubts about FFE's quality standards. I'm open to mixing and matching various d20 modules (including web-freebies and Dungeon mag adventures). Is the WotC adventure series ('Sunless Citadel' et al) the best overall? Advice anyone?

Melan

Explorer
Sunless Citadel is pretty imaginative, the latter ones less so. Personally, I would choose the Rappan Athuk series (the third and last part is due out in May). It has several good points:
-it is large enough to accomodate months of playing, but not too large - there is a definite tight feel to the levels and, although clearing the thing out is impossible, it is an accomplishment when you explore one completely.
-the levels are clearly themed and imaginative. Examples include "The Gates of Hell", "Lair of the Spider Queen", "The Upper Temple of Orcus", "Halls of the Phase Minotaur King", etc. RA also uses the old convention of main and side levels. Many of these are hard to access, subtly reinforcing the exploration theme.
-Deadly, but not completely deadly. Players can triumph if they are well organized, but if they make foolish decisions ("going down the Well" being the most foolish), they are going to be dead.
-The writing is nice - not overwritten, but definitely enough to help a DM describing the various chambers.
-Support: you can download two wilderness expansions, new maps (the originals were pretty crappy), one colour wilderness map handout for your players, also prestige classes, etc.

Questionable points:
-There are a few rule mistakes in the first one, as most of it was written before the release of the 3e MM and DMG. Nothing too bad, just an undead having a Con score (giving it +30 Hp) and a few magic items absent from 3e. Your players will hardly notice any of this.
-Some people hate the indestructible monsters (like a certain "Dungie"), the sheer deadliness and the lack of a carefully detailed dungeon ecology. These people don't belong to the target audience, and this is clearly written in the introduction. Granted, I have never been an adherent to the "Guard Room#30" school of adventure design... :) Oh, and it is assumed that you have 6 characters instead of the standard 4...
-Bad maps - but you can download and print some really beautiful ones.

Other good dungeons:
-Dark Tower from Judges Guild is a classic, and rightly so. Unfortunately, the conversion to 3e is really bad, and it is a nightmare to use thanks to organization and the fact that 3e plays a bit differently than 1e (certain encounters will be easier, others much, much harder).
-Tomb of Abysthor: I haven't heard anything bad about this one. I haven't seen it yet, either, but it is supposed to be very good (levels 3+).
-NeMoren' Vault: ditto. Got rave reviews, might be hard to find now.

Wolfspirit

First Post
For first level characters, the first thing I'd have to reccomend is Of Sound Mind. It's been really fun to DM so far. Of course, it's not a pure dungeon crawl (there's some plot and town time), if you're looking to get people hacking and slashing the first day, I'd say Sunless Citadel (I've never played Rappan Athuk)

bushfire

First Post
Rappan Athuk is probably going to be your best best for the money in the long run. RA1-3 Will probably give you years of Dungeoning. Especially if you take advantage of the free web bonuses on the Necromancer Games web site. The only problem is that RA is *not* for 1st level characters (except for practice in character generating).

For lower level dungeons both Sunless Citadel and Forge of Fury (from Wotc) are good romps.

Also from Necromancer is The Tomb of Abysthor, 96 pages of dungeon romping (for $12). Haven't seen it yet but it is getting great reviews. (Check out the ENWorld reviews).

Psion

Adventurer
Frostmarrow said:
Rappan Athuk is alright.

For first level characters (as he mentioned)? Not really. The easiest levels are more like for 6th level characters, and before a few forays you run into challenges that can tip 9th level characters back on their heels.

If low level characters, you mihgt want to try "NeMoren's Vault", though you might want to cut back on the treasure a bit.

RA is good if you are already fairly high level. But you might consider looking at Treasure Quests by Fast Forward; it has adventures starting at low levels but works its way through high levels.

Also, if you can find enough adventures to take you to 4th level, you might try Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil once you get there -- it is quite the epic, challenging dungeon romp to take characters from 4th-14th level.

Last edited:

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Have to agree, RA isn't for the weak of heart NOR for 1st level characters. Dungeon crawl wise, it's probably one of the best out there (IMHO Psion! :) ;) )

Nemoran's Vault or perhaps Cruible of Freya would be more for first level characters...though I'd recommend working in the Wizard's Amulet, as it's free download AND works well with Cruible.

ShaneHenry

First Post
Thanks to everyone for the recommendations. I'm going to check out all those adventures at my local game store and go from there.

Shane

P.S. BTW, I wish EN World's reviews were sortable by product type (adventure, citybook, worldbook, etc.)...and in the case of adventures, sortable by party level.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads