• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best bar brawl I've ever had

donremus

First Post
Hey that looks like fun! I used to play in and run bar brawls back in 1st Ed and haven't done one for years. Are there any rules/guidelines out there?

I remember the DM created all the patrons on a card each with a brief history/motive/target and the players would get a random group of patrons (to make sure they didn't get 2 characters that clashed). The action would start with players passing noted instructions to the DM for the first few rounds so nobody knew who was playing who. One brawl I ran was a royal wedding which was just brill. A halfling hidden in the rafters with a missile weapon started so many fights and arguments early on and it was soon a free-for-all.

Red Viper

First Post
I have never played in or run a brawl but those pdf's look like fun and i think i am going to have to use them in the next D&D game i run or try and convert it for my next warhammer game. Although i think I would have to take away my players wpns, otherwise they would be killing the patrons.

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
It was fun gradually spreading the brawl through the teahouse - a group came in and started attacking the PCs, then bystanders got splashed by hot water and joined in. It just evolved outward as most of the customers ended up picking one side or the other of the central fight, while everybody else spectated.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
White Dwarf, back when they were a D&D/general interest magazine had a great tavern brawl adventure, with a map (with a second story consisting of a simple balcony running around the upper level, for maximum proximity to chandeliers and the like) and motivation cards for PCs/NPCs.

That's the kind I'd love to see revisited in Dungeon nowadays.

Remove ads