Best Class for a solo player campaign

darkbard

Legend
i'm probably coming out of left field with this one, but how about the akashic from monte cooks' arcana unearthed. simple & martial weapon proficiencies, all armor & shield proficiencies, attacks as cleric, huge skill selection PLUS can access the universal consciousness for skills he has no ranks in or cannot use untrained. only downsides: d6 hit die and no spells [although some of the class abilities are as good or better than spells!].

SpuneDagr

Explorer
Monk with a cleric cohort. I did a couple solo adventures with such a combo this summer when the whole group couldn't get together (sort of campaign down-time). Anyway, I was frigging INVINCIBLE.

FullTinCan

First Post
darkbard said:
i'm probably coming out of left field with this one, but how about the akashic from monte cooks' arcana unearthed. simple & martial weapon proficiencies, all armor & shield proficiencies, attacks as cleric, huge skill selection PLUS can access the universal consciousness for skills he has no ranks in or cannot use untrained. only downsides: d6 hit die and no spells [although some of the class abilities are as good or better than spells!].

If you include AU, then I would have to say an Iron Witch.

You're right, Henry -- I have no love of the cleric homies at all. Even while recognizing that the cleric is probably the single most powerful class out there, we still can't get anyone to play one.

Trainz

Explorer
I'm DM'ing a solo campaign right now (among other campaigns... Hello, my name is Trainz, and I have a problem...).

My player at creation was a 1st Cleric/12th Fighter. He took Farlanghn (Choose Future once per day) and loads up on cure/restoration wands. He fights with two short-swords (6 attacks) with max focus/specialization.

So far he did pretty well. And I'm not going soft on him. Last night he fought 12 blood golems and 2 stone golems, and had to survive a 100 feet fall and a CR 10 trap Wail of the Banshee.

When desinging a solo dungeon, you have to keep in mind that what is CR= Party Level for a group of 4, is CR= Party Level -2 or -3, and he still will gain more x.p. than in a 4 party campaign.

Which is why I recommend starting a Solo at minimum 3rd level...

takyris

First Post
Monk, Bard, or Ranger. The generalist classes are better when you've got a limited number of people.

Frankly, I've always wanted to see a 2-person campaign with a ranger and a bard.

I think a Paladin would offer the best (read - most fun) RP potential for a solo game. You want to be a hero in a solo game, right? Be a Paladin. Go on quests. Things.

Cedric

First Post
Monk...in the end, when all is said and done...you can haul some serious butt. Believe me, that solves so many irritating problems.

Craenor

Remove ads