• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best D&D/d20 event based published adventures

Psion

Adventurer
It occurs to my while reviewing an adventure that I have yet to see an event based adventure in d20 that really pleases me. Some hybrids like "Of Sound Mind" seem to work, but it seems to me like most purely event based adventures tend to be either too railroaded or too vague. I was rather excited about The Standing Stone at first, but I eventually developed such a poor opinion of its heavy handed ruse that my rating of it sunk from a 4 to a 2.

So what do you think? What published adventures out there (if any) do the "event based" thing right?

darklight

First Post
That's a really good question.
It seems to me that event based adventures are very difficult to do 'just right'. I find they work much better when tailored specifically to the group of PC's, and their background.
I haven't bought that many adventures, so it would be nice to know what others think.

darklight

Crothian

First Post
I actually liked the Standing Stone. We had a lot of fun with that one. That weas the last module I've run. I turned 3 days to Kill into this type of module by defining the rumors and adding them to the adventure. That didn't work as well, not because of the module but because of stupid players. :(

trancejeremy

Adventurer
The trouble with many event based modules is they tend to rely on one course of action by the players, if only because of space limitations. And the author cannot predict all the capabilities of the PCs (especially higher level PCs)

So it's hard to write them 'generically'.

Which is why the vast majority of adventures published for D&D are site based.

Synicism

First Post
Psion said:
So what do you think? What published adventures out there (if any) do the "event based" thing right?

So, Psion... you going to answer your own question?

I haven't really encountered too many "event based" adventures out there, so I don't really know what I would pick.

Psion

Adventurer
Nightfall said:
Remind me again what you mean by event based Psion.

Event based -- the adventure is written as a flow of events or situations vice a keyed location. The DMG has a desription IIRC.

Psion

Adventurer
Re: Re: Best D&D/d20 event based published adventures

Synicism said:
So, Psion... you going to answer your own question?

Um, if I knew the answer, I wouldn't be asking. It wasn't a rhetorical question. Well it was inasmuch as I would like to see what different people think, but I really don't hunt down modules and a majority of them seem to be site based; I was wondering if anyone knew of a good event based adveture somewhere out there.

2WS-Steve

First Post
The best event-based modules are all Call of Cthulhu scenarios I suspect. Masks of Nyarlathotep was pretty much completely event based with a handful of sites thrown in. Trying to extract a formula from those adventures seems pretty tricky though. Masks did supply liberal clues so the players could follow a variety of leads on their own initiative and doing that typically got them in trouble.

Loric

First Post
Enemy within, or at least the first installment Shadows over Bogenhafen was pretty good and more event than site based as I recall. Course its for Warhammer fantasy RP but the conversion would not be that difficult.

Loric

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads