• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best D20/OGL Setting I SHOULD Own

Which D20/OGL setting shoud I buy?

• Arcanis

Votes: 47 16.2%
  • Blackmoor

Votes: 33 11.3%
  • Blue Rose

Votes: 33 11.3%
  • Castles and Crusades

Votes: 16 5.5%
  • Conan

Votes: 49 16.8%
  • DragonMech

Votes: 11 3.8%
  • Everquest

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Freeport

Votes: 75 25.8%
  • Iron Kingdoms

Votes: 83 28.5%
  • Kingdoms of Kalamar

Votes: 57 19.6%
  • Lone Wolf

Votes: 12 4.1%
  • Nyambe

Votes: 28 9.6%
  • Oathbound

Votes: 21 7.2%
  • Scarred Lands

Votes: 38 13.1%
  • Slaine

Votes: 8 2.7%
  • Sovereign Stone

Votes: 10 3.4%
  • Talislanta

• Thieves' World

Votes: 46 15.8%
  • Warcraft

Votes: 24 8.2%
  • Yggsburgh

Well, in another thread I asked about which setting in my personal collection people though was best (Midnight and Diamond Throne are both doing very well). Some folks said, "Well, if only you had setting X."

In the interests of fairness, I'm asking which setting I should buy that I do not have. The plus for you is that you will have contributed to at least one more sale of your favorite setting. I will almost certainly go out and buy the leader when one becomes evident.

RichGreen

Adventurer
Hi,

I voted for Freeport where my current, main 3.x campaign started back in 2000. The recently released Freeport Trilogy compilation is a great place to start. I also voted for Nyambe which I used in the same campaign as the backdrop for a long adventure set in Hepmonaland. It's full of great African inspired races, classes and monsters.

Cheers

Richard

JustaPlayer

First Post
I voted for Arcanis, Conan, and Lone Wolf.

Arcanis strikes me as a well thought out setting in general. There are many interesting opportunities for roleplay. Also lots of concepts to help make player characters have a unique feel.

Conan I love for it low magic style. But beyond that the setting offers many unique qualities. This is not a setting for dungeon crawls. Most of your enemies will be human as the setting is human centric. When your players meet an adversary other than human they should fear.

Lone Wolf. There is a dark time on the horizon. The dark lords are mustering their troops. Can your player characters keep the world from being conquered by evil. There are no feats in the system. Everything is built into the character. With many options from the original books, if your players have read them it will take them back. The one drawback on this line is the support seems to be lacking.

A Game of Thrones looks to be promising. I have the PDF of the setting. The way this is going to be played out is interesting. The first book coincides with the first novel. So the setting is going to start out with magic almost believed as myth. As the novels discover more magic and other forgotten lore, so too will the RPG. The first book was very well done.

I didn't vote for EverQuest. Although I like EverQuest for it's mana style, and Everquest 2 for that and the new class system progression, I don't find it terribly unique in flavor.

I also skipped on WarCraft. With the release of World of WarCraft, they used racial progression as seen in the Arcana Evolved/Unearthed books. This is so that some of the more powerful races can be played at lower levels. The new setting book was superbly composed but yet again I don't see a uniqueness that really tugs at me.

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
I get no love. Murphy lives ten minutes away from me too!

Hey, dude, if you're free for lunch this week I'll cut you a deal on ML. How's that grab you? How about Champs in Plaza Americana?

balrog62

First Post
You're Missing One

I voted for Blackmoor because of the unique setting and options for adventure. But the best setting for any D&D or D20 game is the Wilderlands. It is the only setting I've seen that is truly a framework from which you can hang any of the listed systems (from your previous poll). Very little is fleshed to the point of stats. 99% of the setting is descriptive, from which you can express the creature/item/location in whatever system you wish. I bought the setting and will never need another...ever. It's that open.

On caveat, some folks can't handle that much openness and need to be led around with pre-statted out stuff. This will not be a setting that they will enjoy. But if you want to stretch your creative side, the Wilderlands is the place to do it.

DMH

First Post
Oathbound, the kitchen sink setting before Eberron. It is very high magic and power where the PCs are driven to either become more powerful or die- the reason for the name of the planet (the Forge). Decent support with a book coming out in the near future that updates it to 3.5. It also has a nice built in reason to allow everyother rpg book as a source.

There are 7 domains (3 have supplement support so far)- Penance is a megacity that is mostly ruins and filled with monsters (and the surrounding plains and smaller cities), Arena is a desert where armies clash daily over the gold and other metals under the sand, Wildwood is a forest and swamp where the lord encourages predators to kill the weak, Anvil is covered in mountains where wind wizards fight for dominance, Eclipse is mostly underground and the ruling races are thieves and undead, the Vault is a frigid wasteland where spellcasters create artifacts and are protected by undead, and the Kiln is a giant volcano with a pirate city at its base.

The Forge is a prison for a god and each domain has a ruler who wants to be free but is oathbound to only leave when defeated by a greater power. Thus they draw the best from the mulitverse in hopes of finding the one who will become powerful enough to take their place (they are called seeds when they arrive). They also draw monsters and items to test the seeds.

The other setting I suggest is Morningstar. It has artificers with living constructs, a living warning to the people, god like beings who are attempting to crush civilization, an ancient war between elves (nature spirits that gained flesh for a price) and dwarves (souls created by the mother godess to combat the elves), a kingdom of aberrations that is starting to make war upon the human lands and it set in the golden age of the world. It is also high magic to the point that powerful beings warp the land. The only downside is there is no support so far.

Ceresco

First Post
Vote for Arcanis

I am an unapologetic Arcaniac. I voted for Arcanis, Freeport and Nyambe for all three are incorperated into the Arcanis setting. Between Arcanis and Freeport there is a lot of source material available as well as over 100 adventures all down loadable for free at the RPGA. Arcanis has just about everything in the SRD except halflings and half elves. All Arcanis races have interesting twists on thier origins and the addition of Ss'ressen (lizardmen) and Dark Kin (infernal heritage) gives interesting player character choices. The world book is the Codex Arcanis and the crunch book that gives Arcanis it's unique mechanics is the Players Guide to Arcanis. It's been my favorite setting since 3.0 came out.

Respectfully,

Edward Kopp

solkan_uk

First Post
Iron Kingdoms, it has a depth and unique flavour above all the others, though I admit the depth can also be off putting.

Freeport would've been my second choice, it has a nice feel to it.

Remove ads