Best Dungeon Magazine Adventure(s)?

Sanackranib

First Post
dungon

nemmerle said:
Chadranther's Bane: so good! The party is all shrunk down to teeny-tiny-size!

There are so many others.

I am with mearls, Ted Zuvich was absolutely the best along with Willie Walsh (who posted here some time ago).

Not a big fan of the Chris Perkins ones though . . . I always felt they used him too much.

Off the top of my head some of my favorites are:

Song of the Fens
Tallow's Deep
Mud Sorcerer's Tomb
Is There an Elf in the House?

In fact I would go as far to say that at its high point (Dungeon has stunk for a while now) the magazine adventures were far and above much better than the packaged "company" ones.

I enjoyed chadranthers bane a lot but the scale of the creatures is off, especially the rats and the big snake.

Tallows deep is an excelent adventure and I plan to run my party through it soon:p

grodog

Hero
There are lots of old good dungeon magazine adventures.... I wonder why they don't have a best-of-the-best-get-converted-to-3e issue? (I think I've heard about the Mud Sorcerer's Tomb at least 5 times...) Heck, it could even be a regular feature.

IIRC, 3e conversions of old adventures was discussed in Dungeon when 3e was initially released. Don't recall the details offhand though.

Anyone else???

Skade

Explorer
Barendd Nobeard said:
Have to agree with Tears for Twilight Hollow. I'm running it right now as a redemption quest for a fallen paladin, and it's a lot of fun.

I hope you use the kids to good effect on this one. That was one of my favorite elements in the story. There is a pairof children in specific who get entangled in the whole mess. The paladin in my group had to accept responsiblity for endangering the kids when their hero worship of her led them further into the situation. In the end, when al turned out wel, the note the kids left them was quite nice. Besides, its fun to roleplay as a 7 year old kid. I still think like one.

Darrin Drader

Explorer
Issue 17 Out of the Ashes: A red dragon called Flame, who was killed in an adventure in Dungeon issue #1 called "Into the Fire" returns from the dead and appears in a great crystal citadel that floats above a lava fissure.

I've run this one at least twice, the second time after the party killed a red dragon in "Horror on the Hill" (a basic D&D adventure). In that adventure I changed the dragon's name to Flame, and then several adventures later I ran Out of the Ashes as the sequel.

Among the things I like about it: Flame is a very cool dragon, the Vecna connection, and of course my all-time favorite secret society - the Kamikaze Kobold Corps.

Last edited:

Sanackranib

First Post
dungeon mag modules

I have also gotten a lot of milage out of the module "inheritance."

s

p

o

i

l

e

r

s

depending on how you introduce it (weither the pc knew/lived with uncle or not, the knowledge of the secret door can make it capable to go through as a solo adventure. and with the series of attacks that the pc will have to endure this is a money pit. the last groupe I ran this for came here between trips down to undermountian and continued to make improvements and convert it to a fully garasioned castle rather then a simple keep for the year and a half that I ran that game.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Baraendur said:
Issue 17 Out of the Ashes: A red dragon called Flame, who was killed in an adventure in Dungeon issue #1 called "Into the Fire" returns from the dead and appears in a great crystal citadel that floats above a lava fissure.

This was the first issue of Dungeon I ever read. I was flabbergasted as to how cool this adventure was! Lots of fun. :)

Mithriltooth

First Post
grodog said:

IIRC, 3e conversions of old adventures was discussed in Dungeon when 3e was initially released. Don't recall the details offhand though.

Anyone else???

you are correct. It was discussed in the "Letters" section of Dungeon #87 titled "updating the Classics". The letter was written by a James Landry via email.
Wizards answer in short ....

As mentioned in last issues "Letters" column, we intend to update old Dungeon Magazine classics (making them compatible with the new D&D rules) and present them as downloads on our website. Overlapping deadlines and an Overworked staff have thwarted us so far, but we are pushing forward with this project. We are also reading your letters and emails and compiling a list of your favorite modules from past issues. Thanks for your letters and your patience!

Maybe we can revive this?

Capellan

Explorer
2E
Old Man Katan (and his all singing, all dancing mushroom band)

Actually, pretty much anything by Ted James Thomas Zuvich was guaranteed to be a good time.

Kingdom of the Ghouls was a great high level adventure - I'd planned to use it in my last 2E campaign but we never quite made it.

There were many others whose names escape me now, but I remember generally finding the Ravenloft / horror games to be of good quality.

Like some others, I was not much of a fan of Chris Perkins' work, though I certainly respected his ability to generate large amounts of material! I was generally disappointed with the issues of his editorial run, as well - the Mere of Dead Men series comes to mind immediately as a great concept that I felt suffered badly in the execution.

3E
Dungeon of the Fire Opal and Raiders of Galath's Roost come to mind as two of the best I've glanced through, but I have so far avoided reading many of the 3E issues in any detail; at first for lack of time, and more recently because arwink is using them for his campaigns, both of which I am playing.

Remove ads