Best Dungeon Magazine Adventure(s)?

mearls

Hero
I really like everything by Ted James Thomas Zuvich. My all time favorite has to be The Siege of Kratyrs Freehold, with A Hot Day in L'trel a close second. In Siege, the characters have to defend an isolated manor house from a small orc army. They have a roster of the NPCs, equipment, and supplies in the house and must organize an effective defense over 2 or 3 days. I ran it as part of my campaign, and built the entire manor house and surrounding area using miniature buildings and terrain in my friend's basement where we gamed. I also bought and painted miniatures for every orc, warrior, and NPC in the manor. We played the siege over a 20 hour span and it has to be one of the best single D&D sessions I've ever run.

I also like Chris Perkins' work, and the 3e issues have been great. I ran Dungeon of the Fire Opal and had a lot of fun with it.

Graf

Explorer
This brings up an interetesting point....

There are lots of old good dungeon magazine adventures.... I wonder why they don't have a best-of-the-best-get-converted-to-3e issue?
(I think I've heard about the Mud Sorcerer's Tomb at least 5 times...)
Heck, it could even be a regular feature.

Though I've only recenlty gotten into Dungeon/Poly I have to go with Porphyry House Horror. the BoVD stuff aside it's a remarkably well developed setting/adventure.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Chadranther's Bane: so good! The party is all shrunk down to teeny-tiny-size!

There are so many others.

I am with mearls, Ted Zuvich was absolutely the best along with Willie Walsh (who posted here some time ago).

Not a big fan of the Chris Perkins ones though . . . I always felt they used him too much.

Off the top of my head some of my favorites are:

Song of the Fens
Tallow's Deep
Mud Sorcerer's Tomb
Is There an Elf in the House?

In fact I would go as far to say that at its high point (Dungeon has stunk for a while now) the magazine adventures were far and above much better than the packaged "company" ones.

Last edited:

Skade

Explorer
My fave has to be Tears for Twilight Hollow. It is a pretty long adventure, more than enough to take characters from 7th to 8th level. I am not a dungeon crawling sort of DM, and although this one has several I thoroughly enjoyed it. There is a great plot, and though the players may figure out whodunnit, the characters will have a harder time proving it. I ran this adventure using elements from the BoVD, but you by no means have to, nor is it in the adventure. I just see Loviatar as being particularly vile.

-kane

pogre

Legend
I concur on issue #84. I think I ran every adventure in it.

I still like Dungeon and continue to use the adventures.

originally posted by Graf

This brings up an interetesting point....

There are lots of old good dungeon magazine adventures.... I wonder why they don't have a best-of-the-best-get-converted-to-3e issue?
(I think I've heard about the Mud Sorcerer's Tomb at least 5 times...)
Heck, it could even be a regular feature.

I would lay down big bucks for an issue ilke this!

Asmo

First Post
I remember that when our group switched to 3 ed,one of the dm:s run an adventure called "Operation Manta Ray" or something similar.
It´s the best adventure I´ve played from Dungeon.

Asmo

Agamon

Adventurer
Geez, I just went to look up the name of the adventure our group had fun playing a while back, A Race Against Time from issue #81, and realized it was written by guy that lives in my wee Canadian town who I just met last week...go figure.

Remove ads