• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best Dungeon Magazine Adventure(s)?

mearls

Hero
I really like everything by Ted James Thomas Zuvich. My all time favorite has to be The Siege of Kratyrs Freehold, with A Hot Day in L'trel a close second. In Siege, the characters have to defend an isolated manor house from a small orc army. They have a roster of the NPCs, equipment, and supplies in the house and must organize an effective defense over 2 or 3 days. I ran it as part of my campaign, and built the entire manor house and surrounding area using miniature buildings and terrain in my friend's basement where we gamed. I also bought and painted miniatures for every orc, warrior, and NPC in the manor. We played the siege over a 20 hour span and it has to be one of the best single D&D sessions I've ever run.

I also like Chris Perkins' work, and the 3e issues have been great. I ran Dungeon of the Fire Opal and had a lot of fun with it.

Graf

Explorer
This brings up an interetesting point....

There are lots of old good dungeon magazine adventures.... I wonder why they don't have a best-of-the-best-get-converted-to-3e issue?
(I think I've heard about the Mud Sorcerer's Tomb at least 5 times...)
Heck, it could even be a regular feature.

Though I've only recenlty gotten into Dungeon/Poly I have to go with Porphyry House Horror. the BoVD stuff aside it's a remarkably well developed setting/adventure.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Chadranther's Bane: so good! The party is all shrunk down to teeny-tiny-size!

There are so many others.

I am with mearls, Ted Zuvich was absolutely the best along with Willie Walsh (who posted here some time ago).

Not a big fan of the Chris Perkins ones though . . . I always felt they used him too much.

Off the top of my head some of my favorites are:

Song of the Fens
Tallow's Deep
Mud Sorcerer's Tomb
Is There an Elf in the House?

In fact I would go as far to say that at its high point (Dungeon has stunk for a while now) the magazine adventures were far and above much better than the packaged "company" ones.

Last edited:

Skade

Explorer
My fave has to be Tears for Twilight Hollow. It is a pretty long adventure, more than enough to take characters from 7th to 8th level. I am not a dungeon crawling sort of DM, and although this one has several I thoroughly enjoyed it. There is a great plot, and though the players may figure out whodunnit, the characters will have a harder time proving it. I ran this adventure using elements from the BoVD, but you by no means have to, nor is it in the adventure. I just see Loviatar as being particularly vile.

-kane

pogre

Legend
I concur on issue #84. I think I ran every adventure in it.

I still like Dungeon and continue to use the adventures.

originally posted by Graf

This brings up an interetesting point....

There are lots of old good dungeon magazine adventures.... I wonder why they don't have a best-of-the-best-get-converted-to-3e issue?
(I think I've heard about the Mud Sorcerer's Tomb at least 5 times...)
Heck, it could even be a regular feature.

I would lay down big bucks for an issue ilke this!

Asmo

First Post
I remember that when our group switched to 3 ed,one of the dm:s run an adventure called "Operation Manta Ray" or something similar.
It´s the best adventure I´ve played from Dungeon.

Asmo

Agamon

Adventurer
Geez, I just went to look up the name of the adventure our group had fun playing a while back, A Race Against Time from issue #81, and realized it was written by guy that lives in my wee Canadian town who I just met last week...go figure.

Remove ads