Best feats for a Wizard

Klaus

First Post
Thanee said:
Shhh, Arcane Tricksters are cool! :D

Bye
Thanee
Arcane Tricksters are the what now?!? :]

Seriously? Ranged Legerdemain? Why not allow an AT to use some rogue skills (Disable Device, Open Locks and Sleight of Hand) through a Mage Hand, albeit at a penalty (that eventually is eliminated at 10th level)?

Hey, I think I'll use that! :)

shaylon

First Post
I decided to go with Improved initiative. I think it was the best choice for me, given my current situation.

When I get to my next feat, I will choose Craft Wand or Wondrous, more than likely. I want to be able to start crafting some items and I think a wand of MM could help us greatly.

Thanks to all for the responses. You really got me thinking about what direction to go.

-Shaylon

ARandomGod

First Post
shaylon said:
I decided to go with Improved initiative. I think it was the best choice for me, given my current situation.

When I get to my next feat, I will choose Craft Wand or Wondrous, more than likely. I want to be able to start crafting some items and I think a wand of MM could help us greatly.

Thanks to all for the responses. You really got me thinking about what direction to go.

-Shaylon

I'm sure it would, now... at the cost of a feat and the whopping savings of 325 gold. That wand will be useless by level 10... even a brand new one. Sure, you could make wands of fireball, but even they won't be really worth it (other than to clear out easy threats and laugh, ok cool if you're feeling evil in a town) by level ten.

A headband of intellect and a couple of pearls of power would help too...
Then later you can upgrade that headband, and make more and better pearls.

And maybe a belt and some boots and gloves, a nice robe and cloak. While you're at it you *might* help out your fellow party members. Try gifting them with a wand of fireballs and watch them sneer. But give the fighter a belt of strength +6, and he'll think that's great! He'll even buy you that wand you've been wanting. (Or, really, by then, that staff you've been wanting).

Just further, redundant warning/advice about the relative power level of those two feats!

^_^

dastardly740

First Post
ARandomGod said:
I'm sure it would, now... at the cost of a feat and the whopping savings of 325 gold. That wand will be useless by level 10... even a brand new one. Sure, you could make wands of fireball, but even they won't be really worth it (other than to clear out easy threats and laugh, ok cool if you're feeling evil in a town) by level ten.

A few problems:
1) You assume it is easy to find some one selling the wand you want, or be able to commision it.
2) In order to maintain usefulness of the wand against the minimal spell resistance of opponent at 5th-7th levels. Ideally, 5th level would be the caster level. So savings is more like 1875GP.
3) A better argument would be if making the wand, don't be afraid to use it and run out of charges. It will becomes less useful as time goes on so use it now. But, add that to the consideration of whether the wand is worth it. It is also somewhat worthwhile when you have an idea of what you are up against. At say 11th level you may prepare a couple magic missiles, but notice you are up against soemthign with little SR, so the wand would be a better choice offensively while saving the higher caster level prepared spells for when they are needed.
4) Spell slots are probably better for offensive spells. Craft wand seems to be more handy for something like Fly ), Haste, ability score boosters, ... Things that would be cast on the whole party relatively often, but possibly not useful as constant effects.

ARandomGod said:
A headband of intellect and a couple of pearls of power would help too...
Then later you can upgrade that headband, and make more and better pearls.

And maybe a belt and some boots and gloves, a nice robe and cloak. While you're at it you *might* help out your fellow party members. Try gifting them with a wand of fireballs and watch them sneer. But give the fighter a belt of strength +6, and he'll think that's great! He'll even buy you that wand you've been wanting. (Or, really, by then, that staff you've been wanting).

Just further, redundant warning/advice about the relative power level of those two feats!

^_^

Pearls of Power are useful, but they do require preparing at least one version of the spell. Depending on the situation they may not do what is needed, although for purposes of getting additional magic missiles they work. Not saying Craft Wonderous is not a good idea, but Craft Wand does have its place. And, if the wizard is going to be a magical mechanic both are fairly useful. If the Wizard is going to choose just one and concentrate on making his spells better (spell focus, penetration, metamagic) then Craft Wonderous Item and Scribe Scroll are much more important.

Thanee

First Post
Well, there is really no contest between Craft Wondrous Item and all the other item creation feats. The first is almost as good as all the others together. Almost. ;)

Bye
Thanee

d20Dwarf

Explorer
Starman said:
Hey, Wil, you wouldn't mind commuting up here to Montana once a week, or so, to run a game for me, would ya? I promise I'd be a good player. I'd be down with a Fireborn campaign. :D

Starman
Hehe, no, but you're free to come down here. :) Besides, with your username, you might already know too much about my campaign plans...hmmm?

Starman

Adventurer
d20Dwarf said:
Hehe, no, but you're free to come down here. :) Besides, with your username, you might already know too much about my campaign plans...hmmm?

I might, but I promise I won't tell anyone. ;)

You know, I've often thought that if I was independantly wealthy, I would travel all over the county roleplaying with cool people everywhere. You know, Monday is d20Dwarf's game, Tuesday with Piratecat, Wednesday with Teflon Billy...etc.

That's my fantasy. :cool:

Starman

Remove ads