best feats for druids?

wiseacre71

First Post
I'm developing a first-level druid in a campaign based largely on aquatic themes. Kind of overwhelmed about what kind of feats I should plan on.

Here's the info:

Druid 1
Race: Half-elf (sea elf parent)

I'm inclined to take Toughness at first level, but after that, do I focus on metamagic feats or physical feats to improve saves, AC? I'd like to hear what others would do in this situation.

Thanks much!

Grant_Stoom

First Post
Scribe Scroll is always a good feat for Druids and Clerics. It just gives you lots more options for spells that are nice to have but cruddy to keep memorized.

If he's smart enough (i.e. INT 13) then Combat Expertise would be good for improving ACs. Plus, this will work well later in Wild Shape.

At 3rd, you might look into Power Attack. Not that useful until you get your Wild Shape, but you'll want it then.

wiseacre71

First Post
So should I forego Toughness at first level, then? I like the 3 extra hit points, but I suppose other feats would help more in the long run.

Dash Dannigan

First Post
Water Adaptation is a unique feat for Half-aquatic elves, and Rapid Swimming is neat if you're into making a character faster in water.

For spells I've always been partial to Scribe Scroll (even for a druid) because there alot of neat one-time use spells or back-up spells to have.

You need to decide what sort of druid you wil be playing however. Will this be a strong meleer or a frail caster? Stealthy or loud? A diplomat or a warmonger? This will help narrow down folks responses.

jgsugden

Legend
You usually want to grab Natural Spell at 6th level. Not being able to cast in animal form is aloss of a huge portion of a druid's power.

Power Attack is nice, especially when you get to those forms with really high strength, but few attacks. It also allows you to pick up cleave.

Combat Expertise is also nice. A druid's AC is often his biggest problem. Giving up 5 points of AB for 5 points of defense can be very helpful. Dodge is also nice for this same reason.

Combat Reflexes has been mentioned. I like this feat as well, though I'd probably get it later on, at 9th or 12th level. Even if the druid has a low dex, many of his animal forms do not.

I'm a big proponent of quicken spell at 12th, 15th or 18th level. A druid gets few spells, but being able to toss off a quickend spell after a main spell or an attack is a huge advantage. A quickened resist energy, delay poison or produce flame (you can deliver these as part of a natural attack, you know) can be very helpful.

Some people will tell you that Spell Focus: Conjuration and Augment Summoning make a nice addition to a druid's power given his ability to spontaneously cast summon spells, but I disagree. There are few conjuration spells with saves for druids in the PHB. Unless you have a good alternative source for druidic conjuration spells with saves, the cost is too high for the benefit.

Leadership is always a nice feat. Druids are at a disadvantage because of their animal companion (which negatively affects his cohort max level), but it is still worthwhile.

My current druid, a dwarf, has the following progression planned (though he may change it if he grabs a level of fighter):

1: Power Attack
3: Combat Expertise (Edited)
6: Natural Spell
9: CLeave
12: Combat Reflexes
15: Quicken Spell
18: Blind Fighting

Last edited:

Velmont

First Post
Heavy Armor proficiency can be interesting at high level if you can have your hand on a Wild Dragonhide Full Plate Mail (which is AC 3 better than a Wild Dragonhide Breastplate or 5 than a Wild Hide).

If you can take it, almost a must: Energy Substitution. The great majority of druid offensive spell is Fire based, so against a fire subtype creature, you lost some firepower. You can choose Sonic, which is a pretty rare resistance or immunity, or Cold, which fire-subtype are vunerable, but still, you may fall on a Cold/Fire immune, but it is more rare than a simply fire immune creature.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
I think Toughness is a waste of a Feat for a Druid. You ought to have a high Con score -- your most important scores are Wis, Con, Int and Dex, in that order. High Con + d8 = tough enough most of the time.

What rules are you playing under? 3.0 + some accessories? 3.5 Core only? I'll assume 3.5 Core only, but do let us know.

1: Point Blank Shot -- works nicely with Produce Flame, your best 1st level spell.
3: Precise Shot -- now you can fling flames into melee, or use your sling to better effect (or take a level of Ranger, Barbarian or Fighter and use a Longbow).
6: Natural Spell -- enough has been said, it's gr-r-reat!

After this, it really depends on the kind of campaign you're playing in. Good choices are:

- Spell Penetration & Greater Spell Penetration -- if you're the spellcasting damage dealer.

- Skill Focus (Concentration) & Combat Reflexes -- if you're often in melee, or if your Summon Nature's Ally spells keep getting disrupted. NOTE: Combat Casting is worthless compared to Skill Focus (Concentration).

- Spell Focus (Conjuration) & Augment Summoning -- "Say hello to my little friend!" -- if your Summons are doing most of your work.

- Negotiator & Skill Focus (Sense Motive) or Skill Focus (Diplomacy) -- you've got a high Wisdom and some bonuses from your racial heritage.

Druids are awesome in 3.5e. Enjoy!

-- Nifft

Last edited:

youspoonybard

First Post
The reason why I recommend Combat Reflexes so fiercely is illustrated in the back of the 3.5 DMG, page 308.

Look at the Huge and Gargantuan Space and Reach squares. Eventually, you will be able to control that much space. More if you go epic.

Combat Reflexes...

Remove ads